FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · What energizes you?

Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · What energizes you?

I'm energized by portraits. (Gasp!)

I know it's super trendy for everyone to say that they love moments and that staged portraits aren't genuine, but I like the challenge of creating genuine looking portraits. Plus portraits sell.... And I'm also energized by making money.

With that said I love nearly everything about image making and get jazzed about any great shot, but I find my energy is most affected by how the portraits go.

Apr 20, 2015 at 04:30 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · What energizes you?

My DIY 600V electric generator I play with when I accidentally touch something I shouldn't have.
I once actually recorded just how much it did energize me by holding the wrong probe on my data logging Multimeter.

For weddings, I suddenly feel VERY energized when at the end of a long day, I'm loading everything up ready to go and that HOT bridesmaid that's less than half my age wanders over and asks If I can give her a lift home on the Harley.

Of course being a married man with kids, I always do the right thing.
I tell my wife about it as soon as I get home while she is having breakfast.
I remind her I still got it and she is lucky to have me.

She says what I have got is a Harley and I'm damn lucky she ever bought it for me in the first place.

Women, No respect!

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:13 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · What energizes you?

OMG you show up at weddings in a Harley?

I need to see a pic of that.

With you on the motorcycle.

Hop to it!

Apr 21, 2015 at 08:01 AM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · What energizes you?

A bridesmaid ask you for a ride and you get home the next morning in time for breakfast.

No judgement from me.

Apr 21, 2015 at 10:57 AM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · What energizes you?

I prefer portraits. I wonder if some gravitate toward pj because it seems easy, maximum glory for minimum effort.

Not meaning good pj is but perceptually it can seem to be.

Apr 21, 2015 at 11:01 AM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · What energizes you?

I'm energized by money

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:28 PM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · What energizes you?

Light and love are the only true energies on earth (besides sound and magnetism). Everything else is manufactured and is an illusion, including our holographic reality. Money is a faux energy game. Carry on...

Edited on Apr 21, 2015 at 01:09 PM · View previous versions

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:35 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · What energizes you?

Chris Fawkes wrote:
I prefer portraits. I wonder if some gravitate toward pj because it seems easy, maximum glory for minimum effort.

Portraits are a pain, especially if you're working with an uncooperative group they just want you to get on with it.

Maybe it's different for some of you who charge $5k+ and shoot high end weddings, but a lot of us are dealing with weddings on a budget where they're trying to stretch a 24 hour day into 12 hours.

Apr 21, 2015 at 01:09 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · What energizes you?

Chris Fawkes wrote:
A bridesmaid ask you for a ride and you get home the next morning in time for breakfast.

No judgement from me.

Oh please, Judge all you like!

The reality is so much less exciting and boosting to my ego than the thought I could get picked up by a hot chick half my age or less and go back to her place for an illicit one night stand.
Really, that happens all the time cause I'm such a studly, hot bit of man meat, women just can't keep their hands off me!!

Pretty much goes along with the idea some people get that because I do Figure and Nude glamor photography I must be having flings with all my clients. Yeah, even though most of them are doing the shots for husbands or boyfriends and are nervous as hell, they get all carried away and want to jump the fat, bald, middle aged, married with kids guy because they never come in contact with any young, fit and good looking guys they would have more desire for.
Sounds perfectly logical and reasonable to me!

If only the reality came even remotely near peoples Imagination. Woo Hoo.
I'd love to be one of " Those" guys. Even just once.

Apr 21, 2015 at 08:02 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · What energizes you?

I am energized by feeling like I have done something different and good....and by having couples who get excited about what I am doing.

Lately, shooting boudoir has been good catharsis for me

Apr 21, 2015 at 08:13 PM
thebeginning
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · What energizes you?

Chris Fawkes wrote:

Gosh I find this to be completely backwards...so many new photographers are doing ONLY 'fine art portraits' with shallow DoF in a field somewhere, or with harsh light against a blank wall, and yet can't capture quirky and deeply meaningful moments when they need to, because all they do is rehash pretty pinterest ideas.

That's not to say that I'm not energized by portraits, just that I find far more newbie portrait-based photogs than pj ones...though I find top end photojournalism to be vastly more difficult as it's so unpredictable.

Apr 22, 2015 at 12:25 AM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · What energizes you?

I do see that sometimes but I do think there are a lot more newbies thinking they are pj shooters.

Kind of like those who know how to make an exposure but nothing about light who call themselves natural light photographers not because of what they know but what they don't. That does not reflect on those who are amazing natural light only photographers.

I just see a lot of newbies thinking they are Henri Cartier-Bresson. Of course being on different ends of the world may account for seeing more of one than the other.

Apr 22, 2015 at 12:44 AM
thebeginning
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · What energizes you?

Chris Fawkes wrote:
I do see that sometimes but I do think there are a lot more newbies thinking they are pj shooters.

Kind of like those who know how to make an exposure but nothing about light who call themselves natural light photographers not because of what they know but what they don't. That does not reflect on those who are amazing natural light only photographers.

I just see a lot of newbies thinking they are Henri Cartier-Bresson. Of course being on different ends of the world may account for seeing more of one than the other.

Didn't even think of this, which may actually be a big factor.

Apr 22, 2015 at 01:26 AM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · What energizes you?

glort wrote:
Oh please, Judge all you like!

The reality is so much less exciting and boosting to my ego than the thought I could get picked up by a hot chick half my age or less and go back to her place for an illicit one night stand.
Really, that happens all the time cause I'm such a studly, hot bit of man meat, women just can't keep their hands off me!!

Pretty much goes along with the idea some people get that because I do Figure and Nude glamor photography I must be having flings with all my clients.
...Show more

It gets boring after a while.

Apr 22, 2015 at 02:05 AM
heikoM
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · What energizes you?

I am energized by light.

Light makes all the difference, in PJ situations, in portrait shooting, anything. No light = boring. It could be directional window light, harsh light with nice shadows, against the setting sun with tons of flare, or even some nice flash work. I think I am a light addict.

heiko

Apr 22, 2015 at 02:05 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · What energizes you?

jmraso wrote:

the thing that really energizes me is when the father of the B or G tells me "when you are finished, please hit the bar, no limit"

Never been so lucky to have anything like that happen.

Sometimes I'll slam two or three beers - if they're free - while I'm packing up my gear just to try to catch a buzz to relieve the stress of the day.

Apr 22, 2015 at 05:17 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · What energizes you?

D. Diggler wrote:
Sometimes I'll slam two or three beers - if they're free - while I'm packing up my gear just to try to catch a buzz to relieve the stress of the day.

You drive home from weddings or catch a taxi?

Apr 22, 2015 at 08:41 AM
Perry Heideman

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · What energizes you?

This hit home with me and the cake comment made me laugh. Others mentioned the fact that the couple trusted me to capture such a important moment as well. And finally one thing that also energizers me is when the bride handles my partner and I a tip before the reception!

Actually I truly do approach each wedding hoping I can capture a couple photos that just speak to them. Sometimes I have to guess which ones those might be, but I surmise there are a couple in most weddings.

Apr 26, 2015 at 05:10 PM
tgillespie
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · What energizes you?

When the wedding party jumps into the pool...

Apr 27, 2015 at 01:13 AM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · What energizes you?

D. Diggler wrote:
Never been so lucky to have anything like that happen.

I'll have two or three beers through the evening if I am staying through the reception. The assistant or second will drive but I see no downside to some drinks, i'm not getting drunk.

Though I did decide to try something different after a couple of beers at a wedding just over a year ago so I picked up a bottle of something else walked up to the barman at the crowded bar and asked him if he could open it for me.

"Too easy" he says removing the cap by hand. It turned out it was a twist top.

I felt like a dill, maybe i'd had too much to drink.

Apr 27, 2015 at 02:26 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.