Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2015 · Why is there still a mode dial?

luminaire
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why is there still a mode dial?

Handled a friend's 6D over the weekend. Lovely camera and spiritual successor to the original 5D which I loved.

But... those lovely lines and handling is rather spoiled by the big silly mode dial sticking-up on top.

I mean it's huge, seemed far larger and 'stickier' than I remember on the 5D. And still near-impossible to actuate whilst actually using the camera. It's a function that must be infreuently-used yet receives its own massive control*

Why is that mode dial still a thing on Canon cameras? The 1D method is much less obtrusive, just a little MODE button and then use the dial-wheel. Or perhaps make it a menu selection option, no extra button required.

The less mechanical stuff the better, in terms of reliability and weather-proofing.

* dare I mention the old Direct Print button as an equivalent...?

Apr 20, 2015 at 05:41 AM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why is there still a mode dial?

I agree. I would much rather if cameras had a dedicated dial for shutterspeed, aperture, and ISO, and the modes were buried in menus.

Apr 20, 2015 at 05:56 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why is there still a mode dial?

Lauchlan Toal wrote:
I agree. I would much rather if cameras had a dedicated dial for shutterspeed, aperture, and ISO, and the modes were buried in menus.

Yep, all you need is on/off, ISO, s/speed and aperture. All anyone needs is M.

Apr 20, 2015 at 06:30 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why is there still a mode dial?

I actually like the mode dial, I prefer it to the two handed version on the 1 series. Now it locks on the newer models it's even better

I can quickly see what mode I'm in and I can change it a second, doesn't bother me at all.

Apr 20, 2015 at 06:37 AM
CMcG01
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why is there still a mode dial?

It also serves as a visual cue for the different options available. Many need that. I'd be ok with a little M/A/S switch, personally.

I'm happy with the 1D method, but can't imagine using that if I were still learning to use a camera.

Apr 20, 2015 at 06:55 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Why is there still a mode dial?

luminaire wrote:
But... those lovely lines and handling is rather spoiled by the big silly mode dial sticking-up on top.

Perhaps Canon was thinking of those people who actually use their cameras, rather than those who just consider them fashion accessories?

Apr 20, 2015 at 07:06 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Why is there still a mode dial?

K.I.S.S.

Why break a good/known design, why add another layer to accessing a simple function, for aesthetic purposes... That's an easy way to confuse, anger your customer base whose intimate with a consistent design and it's tactile/visual appeal.

Microsoft did something similar with Win8/8.1 by 'hiding/removing' the start button and start screen design/layout, and look at the hit they took financially; a massive loss of sales as people/businesses stayed with Win7 and even XP.

Edited on Apr 20, 2015 at 07:33 AM · View previous versions

Apr 20, 2015 at 07:27 AM
luminaire
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Why is there still a mode dial?

molson wrote:
Perhaps Canon was thinking of those people who actually use their cameras, rather than those who just consider them fashion accessories?

My point was that even if changing shooting mode was something people did every five minutes, the mode dial is one of the worst means of achieving that. You actually have to break your shooting hold to use it, once you've memorised the number of clicks between the modes.

Or the other common method I've seen is to lower the camera to chest-level, peer at the dial and find the mode you want and then raise it back up to the scene.

Not really conducive to 'using' the camera, is it?*

Imagine if changing gears in a car required reaching out onto the roof and blindly twirling a clicky knob whilst keeping your right hand on the wheel.

* not that using modes indicates any sort of camera use. I set my Mode once, when I receive a camera, and there is stays for years of daily use.

Apr 20, 2015 at 07:27 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Why is there still a mode dial?

Given your design preference; not having to take your eye from the viewfinder, then why not remove the top LCD of the 1D or for that matter all bodies that implement said visual 'feature'

In design, mistake not function for simplicity's sake. Not all consumers have figured out their style and/or how they might use any given gear. And do remember Canon, most manufactures, must cater to both the general consumer; from novice to advanced hobbyist, to pro shooters. Some are just starting this craft and thus require a more accessible design, not a more complicated one.

Edited on Apr 20, 2015 at 08:00 AM · View previous versions

Apr 20, 2015 at 07:38 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Why is there still a mode dial?

StillFingerz wrote:
Given your design preference; not having to take your eye from the viewfinder, then why not remove the top LCD of the 1D or for that matter all bodies that implement said visual 'feature'

For anyone with physical difficulties such as yourself the mode dial would be a blessing compared to the 1-series I would have thought.

Apr 20, 2015 at 07:41 AM
Blake.Kinder
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Why is there still a mode dial?

Deep down, the important thing is that you were using a Canon, that's all that matters.

Apr 20, 2015 at 07:43 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Why is there still a mode dial?

dhphoto wrote:
For anyone with physical difficulties such as yourself the mode dial would be a blessing compared to the 1-series I would have thought.

DHP, it is and has been since my switch to Canon in 78 with their A-1. I've shot with the 1V, still shoot with EOS-3s and have a 1DMk2N, and while they have their purpose; feature set, they are a PITA for me to use. I'd much rather have a design with the mode dial; it's just easier to manage, especially with my still finger/gripless physical issues.

I really do miss the days when near 'everything' was manageable via dial, even the multi-purpose ones of the A-1. When I was looking to augment my kit with a mirror-less body it was the Fuji XT-1 that really caught my eye; still does. But I've decided to stay with Canon for the ecosystem; glass, that I'm financially and physically heavily invested in

Apr 20, 2015 at 07:56 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Why is there still a mode dial?

StillFingerz wrote:
DHP, it is and has been since my switch to Canon in 78 with their A-1. I've shot with the 1V, still shoot with EOS-3s and have a 1DMk2N, and while they have their purpose; feature set, they are a PITA for me to use. I'd much rather have a design with the mode dial; it's just easier to manage, especially with my still finger/gripless physical issues.

I really do miss the days when near 'everything' was manageable via dial, even the multi-purpose ones of the A-1. When I was look to augment my kit with a mirror-less body it was
...Show more

I was actually involved with Canon UK at the time of the launch of the A-1 over here and got to try out some pre-launch samples. I never liked it that much, I preferred the old and new F1's and latterly the excellent T-90. I'm surprised you found the dials easy, I remember them being small and fiddly

Apr 20, 2015 at 07:59 AM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Why is there still a mode dial?

luminaire wrote:
And still near-impossible to actuate whilst actually using the camera.

Really? How do you use a camera that you can't turn a dial on top?

Jack

Apr 20, 2015 at 08:19 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Why is there still a mode dial?

Lauchlan Toal wrote:

As someone who switches among modes while shooting at times and who has never even imagined that having this dial could interfere in any way with my photography...

... it is hard to see this as a problem, and even harder to see how burying the settings in menus would be an improvement.

YMMV,

Dan

Edited on Apr 20, 2015 at 08:55 AM · View previous versions

Apr 20, 2015 at 08:26 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Why is there still a mode dial?

dhphoto wrote:
I was actually involved with Canon UK at the time of the launch of the A-1 over here and got to try out some pre-launch samples. I never liked it that much, I preferred the old and new F1's and latterly the excellent T-90. I'm surprised you found the dials easy, I remember them being small and fiddly

Budget, at the time, drove my choice and I'll admit I really liked the LED readout in the viewfinder. As for the dials, their usage, the multi-function aspect; pushing in that tiny silver button to change EC, etc, was difficult. But that design was also a blessing of sorts, as it 'made' me push myself, my physical limits, quite hard; outside my comfort zone.

Two months after completing near seven months of rehab; May 7th, 1978 is when I broke my neck, I found the weight and controls layout of my rangefinder; let alone my 4x5, near impossible to use/manage. I gave the rangefinder a go but just didn't have the ability to continue having fun shooting. I struggled with the last of my 'artistic' outlets also being taken from me; painting/airbrushing was gone, as was my ability to draw and that was a most difficult time for a fully schooled/trained/employed architect.

My father recognised the problem and got me to a local camera store; Cal's Camera, where I regularly bought film/supplies. We met with a wonderful photographer/salesman that introduced me to the SLR and after handling all the regulars; Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, etc. it was Canon, the A-1 in particular, that felt good in my quite crippled hands.

The A-1's more rounded corners/features, it's body texture, felt so much better than the steely bodies of the others. And it's dials while were somewhat smallish, they had a notched lip that allowed me to turn them via a thumb nail; it was easier to manage changes. In fact there were several other features that really made that body accessible

The T-90 followed and it had it's challenges, got me even further in my physical journey, it prepped me for a 1V years later. That 1V then afforded me my 1st digital body; the 40D, and the drama/story continues to roll on, and it's all good. I can still create via these light boxes and that brings much joy; reminds of the freedoms still left even with this disabled frame, ever curious mind

Chers,
Jerry

Edited on Apr 20, 2015 at 08:41 AM · View previous versions

Apr 20, 2015 at 08:34 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Why is there still a mode dial?

StillFingerz wrote:
Budget, at the time, drove my choice and I'll admit I really liked the LED readout in the viewfinder. As for the dials, their usage, the multi-function aspect; pushing in that tiny silver button to change EC, etc, was difficult. But that design was also a blessing of sorts, as it 'made' me push myself, my physical limits, quite hard; outside my comfort zone.

Two months after completing near seven months of rehab; May 7th, 1978 is when I broke my neck, I found the weight and controls layout of my rangefinder; let alone my 4x5, near impossible to use/manage.
...Show more

Your situation is not unlike my father who was paralysed by a drunk driver back in 1969 when I was very young. He had partial use of his hands but not much, he too was a trained draughtsman and was deeply frustrated at his lack of dexterity. Safe to say he didn't handle his disability as well as you have.

Apr 20, 2015 at 08:37 AM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Why is there still a mode dial?

I may be in the minority, but I make use of the User/"C" functions on the Mode dial of both my 6D, & 7D-2.

Having them buried in a Menu would defeat the purpose of quick access.

Leigh

Apr 20, 2015 at 08:59 AM
2ndviolinman
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Why is there still a mode dial?

It needs to be a dial because the user programmable C1, C2 and C3 modes are there. I have C1 set for aperture preferred (f/8 to start), ISO 100, single shot, MLU, 2 second delay, etc., and C2 set for shutter preferred (1/1000th to start), ISO 200, multi shot, AI servo, etc.

My camera can be on the tripod doing landscape, and in 1/2 second, one click of the dial you propose burying in a button push, plus dial move, plus look at a screen to see the change, I can snatch the thing off the tripod and be shooting a kid running down the beach torturing seagulls (assuming the choice of lens plays along).

Edited on Apr 20, 2015 at 09:21 AM · View previous versions

Apr 20, 2015 at 09:00 AM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Why is there still a mode dial?

dhphoto wrote:
Your situation is not unlike my father who was paralysed by a drunk driver back in 1969 when I was very young. He had partial use of his hands but not much, he too was a trained draughtsman and was deeply frustrated at his lack of dexterity. Safe to say he didn't handle his disability as well as you have.

We all manage loss differently, just as we do life. This isn't an easy existence by any means, you make of it what you will. There was a great support system in which I flourished, not all are as fortunate, nor as young and that helped greatly...

Apr 20, 2015 at 09:19 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.