New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Quality difference between Large Image Size and Medium

graham_martin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Quality difference between Large Image Size and Medium

About the only remaining obstacle left for me to pulling the trigger on a D800 or 800e has been the 36 mp file size. Upon doing some research, I see that if I set the image size to Medium instead of Large, I would still get a 20 mp image. For much of the type of photography I do, a 20 mp image would be plenty large enough. I would be coming from a 12 mp D300s.
I just tried a couple of shots on my D700 at Medium size of 6.7 mps, and it looked okay to me on the monitor. Of course, I realize that printing at large sizes would make a difference

What is the image quality on a D800 like comparing Large to Medium?

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:11 PM
Abuttolph
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Quality difference between Large Image Size and Medium

I cannot answer your question directly because I save files from my D800e in raw format, rather than jpg. The raw files are incredible. If you pair the camera with a good lens, you just won't believe the detail that will be recorded in your images. So, turning your question around a bit - why not shoot in raw to give the best image quality and best options for post-processing, and then save the images to smaller files if you need to make them smaller?

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:07 PM
graham_martin
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Quality difference between Large Image Size and Medium

What prompted the question is that I do a lot of shooting of local events for our local newspaper, and I upload between 100 and 150 images at a time to their online gallery for people to view. The paper wants us to upload full size images in case people want to get prints made. My thinking was that uploading 36 mp images just so that someone can get an 8 x 10 print was overkill, and would also take a long time. Most of the time, for these type events, I only shoot in jpeg and do very little editing other than cropping, and minor curves adjustment.

For everything else, I would be happy to shoot in RAW and not worry about the file size.

Apr 20, 2015 at 01:48 PM
Abuttolph
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Quality difference between Large Image Size and Medium

Ok - now I understand. If I get some time this afternoon after work, I'll take a couple of jpg images for you at the medium and large settings and will post them for you. That might help you to get the information that you need. If you would prefer for me to email them to you so that you can look at them directly (not via the web), then just PM me and send your email address and I can send them to you. Either way is ok by me.

Apr 20, 2015 at 02:51 PM
graham_martin
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Quality difference between Large Image Size and Medium

I'll send you a PM. Thank you very much.

Apr 20, 2015 at 02:54 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.