Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · HS JV Baseball

rerdreb
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HS JV Baseball

Only my second outing this season. I'm shooting with a Canon 6D and a Sigma 100-300 f4 lens. This time I added my Kenko 1.4x TC to bring me in a little closer. I was worried that the images would be soft due to the TC but I was pleasantly surprised when I loaded these up on the computer. I shot some of these wide open (f 5.6 with the TC) and some stopped down 1 stop (f 8.0 with TC).

I'm finding that it's OK to push up the ISO even in the sunshine. The faster shutter speeds really help make a difference and the noise from the 6D is very minimal. None of these photos have any noise reduction done to them. Most were shot at ISO 800 with a few at ISO 1600.

I'm probably at the beginning stages of Baseball Action Photography. I have a lot of images of the pitcher and the batters but I'm starting to get some action in the field. sometimes it is a guess where that action will be and sometimes I can anticipate it.

Here are a few from this weekend. Hopefully if it doesn't rain I will get another chance tomorrow night.

Helpful tips are encouraged.

Thank You,
Ron

1._MG_3052.jpg by Ron Repke Photography, on Flickr

2._MG_2947.jpg by Ron Repke Photography, on Flickr

3._MG_3230.jpg by Ron Repke Photography, on Flickr

4._MG_3076.jpg by Ron Repke Photography, on Flickr

Apr 19, 2015 at 08:24 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HS JV Baseball

good baseball action

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:33 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HS JV Baseball

you did well with the action
I would think the only improvement would be if you could shoot at F2.8 to drop out the backgrounds.
I hope you get many more good days to practice with.

Apr 20, 2015 at 01:06 PM
Trevorma
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HS JV Baseball

For me. all 4 are deletes in camera....

1) Action would be bat on ball, or a wild swing, or just after contact with the ball just off the bat.

2) No tag, player looks safe by a mile, no real action

3) See above

4) No context. Looks like warmups to me (knee down, no droppping down to block the ball).

Take some time to check out some shots around here by the guys doing if for ages and try to snap ones just like those..... keep shooting and posting, the critiques make you better (Spoken from experience)!

Apr 20, 2015 at 01:20 PM
rerdreb
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HS JV Baseball

Thanks Trevor. I appreciate your feedback.

I'm not taking these for money though. I'm giving them to the kids and families since my son is on the team.

The parents love these. But I am trying to improve my skills too so I do appreciate any feedback.

First game out was kind of a train wreck. This second time out was better. Hopefully I can keep improving.

Ron

Apr 20, 2015 at 02:16 PM
rerdreb
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HS JV Baseball

Kenneth

What lens would you recommend?

Apr 20, 2015 at 02:17 PM
karrphoto

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HS JV Baseball

From experience shooting for local news, the Sigma 120-300 is hard to beat for sports.

I've even been using it with the 2x TC and getting great shots with it. Though you could use it on a cropped body with or without a 1.4x TC to get f4 shots.

Apr 22, 2015 at 01:45 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.