FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · A bee and a beetle

Dalantech
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A bee and a beetle

Since most of the people who visit macro forums are also macro photographers I've been including all of the information that I'm posting with my images on Flickr and Deviant Art. Let me know if you like it, or if it's not necessary (since most of you shoot macro anyway).

A female Miner Bee foraging for pollen. Tech Specs: Canon 70D (F16, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (2x) + a diffused MT-24EX (both flash heads on Kaiser adjustable flash shoes). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held.

Technique: I'm holding on to the flower with my left index finger and thumb, and resting the lens on that same hand to keep the scene steady. As the bee moves around the flower I rotate the stem to keep it looking at the camera (helps the viewer to connect with the subject and to maximize my chances of getting a usable image). I pay attention to the area that I want to be in focus, and use my peripheral vision to compose the frame. I'm also twisting the camera in my hand, and the flower's stem, so that I can lay the flat area of acceptable focus over as much of the curves in the scene (the bee's head and the flower).

Conditions: Partly cloudy with temps in the 18C range and a light wind. Due to the breeze I was able to grab onto the stem without the bee noticing. Also when the sun went behind the clouds its metabolism would tank, making it easier to get close.

This beetle likes to eat my Lavender flowers. Now it's in the neighbors yard

Tech Specs: Canon 70D (F16, 1/250, ISO 100) + a Canon MP-E 65mm macro lens (2x) + a diffused MT-24EX (both flash heads on Kaiser adjustable flash shoes). This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held.

Technique: I got it to climb onto a sunflower petal and I held it in front of an artificial sunflower for the background (easier to shoot at the patio table than the garden). The tricky part was following it with the camera and shooting it while it moved.

Apr 19, 2015 at 12:22 PM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A bee and a beetle

Lovely captures John
Brian V.

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:57 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A bee and a beetle

John,

Not only have you got the most interesting parts of the beetle sharp but you have dealt with the dreaded metallic reflections very well.

Harold

Apr 20, 2015 at 06:41 AM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A bee and a beetle

Thanks Brian and Harold

Forever working on the light Harold -never seems to end...

Apr 20, 2015 at 12:33 PM
hongvu122

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A bee and a beetle

I love the technical breakdown you provide. It gives as aspiring macro newbies a tremendous amount of insight on the techniques necessary to capture images like yours, thank you!

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:27 PM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A bee and a beetle

hongvu122 wrote:
... It gives as aspiring macro newbies a tremendous amount of insight on the techniques necessary to capture images like yours, thank you!

That's why I'm doing it

Apr 21, 2015 at 01:05 AM
hongvu122

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A bee and a beetle

Is there a writeup or summary of your current rig setup? I recall that you use the eBay diffusers on the MT-24EX, but I think you also use a cover of some sort. Also, at higher magnifications, how do you avoid the diffusers from touching the subject? I can't ever seem to get close enough for the image to be in focus with the 65mm (on a Canon 7d) to get it in focus without those eBay diffusers coming into contact with the table or ground.

Apr 21, 2015 at 10:04 AM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A bee and a beetle

hongvu122 wrote:
Is there a writeup or summary of your current rig setup? I recall that you use the eBay diffusers on the MT-24EX, but I think you also use a cover of some sort. Also, at higher magnifications, how do you avoid the diffusers from touching the subject? I can't ever seem to get close enough for the image to be in focus with the 65mm (on a Canon 7d) to get it in focus without those eBay diffusers coming into contact with the table or ground.

I haven't published a gear list in a while -kinda got tired off all the angry emails from people who thought that they could simply buy the equipment that I use and photos would magically jump into the camera

I'm not using the eBay set of diffusers anymore -ended up making a new set last November that I've been tweaking since. But you're going to have trouble above 2x with any diffuser on the MT-24EX except for maybe a pair of Sto-Fens (and the light quality isn't going to be very good). There are limits to what you're going to be able to shoot with a flash that's mounted to the end of the lens. My advice is too look for targets that are easier to photograph.

Apr 27, 2015 at 06:01 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.