New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2015 · Sony A7 to Nikon D750

ajamils
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony A7 to Nikon D750

Has anyone made the journey back from mirrorless to DSLR, specifically between thesee two cameras? What were the reasons and how's your experience been so far?

Apr 19, 2015 at 10:21 AM
Jorgen Udvang
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony A7 to Nikon D750

I went back from mirrorless (Panasonic GH1/2/3) to Nikon (mainly D810) around 4 months ago. The reasons were several:

- Mirrorless cameras have limitations when used for action photography
- I generally prefer an optical viewfinder
- The image quality of the most recent Nikon bodies is superior to more or less anything out there
- The lenses available in F-mount cover all my needs and more
- The weight advantage for mirrorless mostly applies with smaller sensors
- Batteries of DSLR cameras last much longer than with mirrorless cameras

etc.

Apr 19, 2015 at 02:02 PM
walts.photo
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony A7 to Nikon D750

Fuji X-T1 to D750, mostly for the more intuitive handling, higher iso, action shots, and some features (like more bracketing).

Apr 19, 2015 at 07:30 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony A7 to Nikon D750

Went back from A7 to D750. Wish I'd just stuck with my D700 until mirrorless was ready.

DSLRs are legacy technology. Focus and compose through an OVF only to find its poor calibration caused you to miss both, and you'll know it. Listen to the mirror pop up and down 37 times per photo while trying to shoot in "Live View" mode to avoid those issues, and you'll know it.

But the replacement technology isn't ready for prime time. The A7 EVF is completely useless in even moderate light (forget poor light) and its battery life is AB.SURD. And good luck autofocusing on anything that isn't completely stationary.

Apr 19, 2015 at 07:43 PM
webmstrk9
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony A7 to Nikon D750

Made the move back from D800 to A7R and back to D810, all of what Jorgen and Lee mentioned.

Apr 19, 2015 at 07:47 PM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony A7 to Nikon D750

I use both a nikon 800e and an 810 and added a fuji xt1 last year. Together they work well.

Apr 19, 2015 at 08:03 PM
cope07
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony A7 to Nikon D750

After discovering that my Fuji X Pro 1 with basically any lens was damn near worthless at focusing during dark events I went back to DSLR's (D800 and now D810).

Some ramblings:
-I love the lightweightness of mirrorless (admittedly really only applies to primes, but my Xpro1 is 451gr, whereas the 'lightweight' D750 is 750gr. Fast zooms are going to be heavy/big regardless).
-I hate AF calibration of DSLR's. (admittedly small AF misses are easy to see on a D810)
-I love LOVE the battery life of DSLRs. Its like 3 or 4 fuji batteries to one Nikon one. OH, and the Nikon battery meter actually works.
-While I like the instant feedback, lack of noise, and suitability in bright light of OVFs, I also enjoy the f stop and exposure preview of EVF's
-Sb-910's. Nuff said.
-subject isolation at distance (trait of FX sensors, but there is also more fast FX glass for DSLR's than FX mirrorless)

Apr 19, 2015 at 08:11 PM
rpkwon
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony A7 to Nikon D750

Went from DSLR to the A7 to RXIII then back to DSLR in the D750.
The reasoning behind my initial switch was that I thinking portability would outweigh the need for a pro-consumer/prof level gear in the Canon 5D or D700 that I had. Experimented with the A7 and RXIII but in the end, call it muscle memory or such, it just didn't feel right in my hands. I longed for the buttons/controls of the full sized DSLRs and the FE lens line up was lacking and not being developed fast enough.

Apr 19, 2015 at 08:42 PM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony A7 to Nikon D750

Same story here too. My first trip to mirrorless started with the OM-D EM-5, and a second time with the Fuji systems. I had owned D700s both times and thought mirrorless would work for me only to be quickly disappointed. They were just not responsive enough for my shooting. This last time, I went with a Sony A7s and actually found it fit my needs for just about everything, but I did have to give up shooting sports which I soon started to miss. I loved the lighter weight and swivel screen (D750 finally has it) and there were many benefits to having a EVF.

Its so difficult to explain, but I really started to miss the feel and responsiveness of a DSLR. I had sold my D700 and lenses to a friend and each time I helped him out with it and started shooting it, I started to get the urge to go back.

I just recently upgraded aging 2010 Macbook Pro with a iMac 5K loaded all the options and figured there would be nothing better than feed it D810 files. Needless to say, I don't miss the A7s one bit! Not even astrophotography which I feared would really set me back, but I am very happy with the 3200 and 6400 ISO files at night.

I struggled deciding on D750 and D810, but I had owned a D600 for a short time and never liked the controls when compared to the D700s. There are times I need faster shutter speeds than the 1/4000th that D750 has. Since I shoot manual flash, having the faster sync speed is nice as well as native 64 ISO. Hey Nikon, when will you put a flip screen on your top level cameras?

Apr 19, 2015 at 09:32 PM
JoshI
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony A7 to Nikon D750

I had a six-month dalliance with the Fuji X system, though I never gave up my Nikon's for work. The X-T1 is a great, great camera and the X system lenses are very good to excellent, but ultimately the X-Trans CFA really lets the system down. If Fuji releases an X-T2 with a 24mp sony sensor with bayer CFA, I'll probably consider selling my D600.

I still won't be trading in my D800E's anytime soon though. There's nothing on the market that can match the image quality (save the D810 or medium format). I will say, however, that if Sony saw fit to release an A7r upgrade with 54mp, IBIS, and true 14-bit lossless RAW files, I'd buy one for work in a heartbeat.

Josh

Apr 20, 2015 at 08:52 AM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony A7 to Nikon D750

I've been with a lot of systems, from the 5DM3 back in 2013, through most of Sonys, Fujis, Olympus, etc.

Mirrorless is nice for the size and weight savings but at a compromise.. But I found that no matter how small/light the camera I was having to carry a camera bag and if I was going to do that I didn't want any compromises.

- AF is still lacking, even the a6000 which is probably the best I've tried still isn't as good as a DSLR.
- I love EVFs. I love OVF's. I could go either way.
- I don't have huge hands, probably small-medium, but even with that I prefer the grip and bulk of a DSLR. The a6000 is a nice body but feels a little small.
- With the a7, you get the nice sensor but the lenses are small but slow or fast but large. I like that I can put a 24-70 2.8 when I want or just slap on a small 50 1.4-1.8.

I probably should've given the D750 a look but I loved the results that I had with the D810 when I bought it at launch last year and look forward to it coming in this week. My 2nd child is due in July so I want to see how long I can go without having extreme GAS hit.

Apr 20, 2015 at 09:33 AM
mmbma
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony A7 to Nikon D750

nothing beats a trusty pro DSLR when the situation demands it. For pro jobs I don't even think about bringing a mirroless

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:33 AM
efdavila

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony A7 to Nikon D750

Was looking at selling all my Nikon equipment and going the A7x route but instead picked up an a6000 as an intro to mirrorless. Love that little camera but it isn't, which applies to mirrorless overall, as capable as a DSLR. Picking up D750.

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:36 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony A7 to Nikon D750

I've tried to like mirrorless, but I haven't been able to get fully on board for the following reasons (keep in mind these are just my own reasons as they apply to my usage, not meant as blanket statements or absolutes):

1) I can't stand EVF's. They are still nowhere even close to as good as an OVF for visuals (yes I know they can do other things like focus peaking, etc.) Every one I have tried so far has visible pixels, horrible DR, and noticeable lag. They have also been borderline unusable in poor light and high contrast situations.

2) Tracking and low light AF isn't up to pro-DSLR levels. The Nikon 1 cameras probably come the closest, but the sensor is much too small to be my only camera. On paper, there are a handful of mirrorless cameras with amazing AF specs, but in practice a good DSLR would by my go-to almost every time. Most mirrorless cameras do not have PDAF at all, so their tracking AF leaves much to be desired. CDAF is also pretty bad in low light.

3) You still have to carry a camera bag, especially if you have much more than a pancake lens attached. If I need to carry a bag around with me anyway, it might as well be slightly larger and contain my D810.

4) Battery life on mirrorless is very weak compared to DSLRs, which often last me 2000+ shots and entire vacations. My mirrorless cameras are usually charged daily on vacation.

5) I have very large hands and it is much more comfortable for me to hold onto something like a DSLR, especially if there is a heavy lens attached. I have also yet to try a mirrorless camera that allows me to change settings as quickly and easily as a DSLR with hard buttons everywhere. I prefer real buttons to touch screens in all situations, and with a DSLR I can change every important setting without even taking my eye away from the viewfinder.

6) Large sensor mirrorless still means large lenses. Large lenses are much more comfortable to manipulate and balance when you have a DSLR-sized grip to hold onto. Also, if you are using something like a 70-200/2.8, your overall size/weight savings by using a mirrorless body vs a DSLR are negligible and not worth the sacrifices of using a mirrorless body (for me).

7) Need to use a good flash gun on-camera? Try putting a SB900/910-sized flash on top of a small mirrorless camera haha. It's not great.

8) Lens selection, at least for my usage, is far better for DSLRs. Most mirrorless systems have very limited lens selections compared to Nikon/Canon, or require the use of adapters to expand compatibility.

9) Sensor size is always a struggle for mirrorless cameras, because you need lenses to cover the image circle too, which no longer makes them compact in many cases. Sony is the only game in town for full-frame mirrorless, a few brands do APS-C, and then 1" or M4/3 is getting to be much too small for a primary camera (again, IMHO). Small sensors also start to limit megapixels if you want to retain decent ISO performance.

Now on to the positives (again, as I see them for my personal usage):

1) They make amazing back-up or travel cameras. DSLR-like responsiveness, high frame rate, and great AF in the PDAF bodies make them ideal for certain tasks where you may not be able to use a DSLR or simply want to be less conspicuous.

2) I love them for underwater cameras. Since they are the size of a P&S, you can get a dive-rated housing for many mirrorless cameras for around $140. Having 10+ FPS with PDAF and instant responsiveness under water beats the hell out of an "all weather" rugged P&S, or a P&S in a similar housing, and the cost is often the same or less.

3) They are cheap. I would never buy a mirrorless camera anywhere near full price. Many of them get steeply discounted, much more so than DSLRs usually do, since product life cycles are usually shorter compared to DSLRs. It's not unusual to pay half price or less 12-18 months after launch.

4) Mirrorless cameras can do some useful tricks that DSLRs can't, such as live exposure preview, focus peaking, advanced viewfinder overlays, etc.

5) No mirror means less moving parts, less dust (probably), no mirror slap vibrations, higher frame rate possibilities, and usually better AF during video. You usually get more information in the EVF as well (though the forced image-review in the Nikon V1 EVF makes me want to throw it off a cliff every time haha).

6) AF point coverage can be pretty much the entire sensor. There doesn't seem to be too many limitations with regard to putting CDAF and PDAF points on the sensors themselves as far as coverage goes.

7) They can be used in place of a TC. For example, a Nikon 1 and FT-1 is like putting a 2.7X TC on any lens with no aperture loss. Throw a 70-200/2.8 on a Nikon 1 V3, for example, and you get a 189-540mm F2.8 with 20 FPS, PDAF between frames, deep buffer, and instant response. For wildlife, sports, etc. that is a pretty attractive option compared to a 500/4 or 600/4 if cost or weight are concerns. The disadvantages there are obviously sensor size, EVF, and big-lens-small-body ergonomics.

8) Small sensor mirrorless usually does mean small bodies and small lenses. So long as you're OK with the trade-offs, you can build yourself a kit that really is a lot smaller & lighter than a DSLR equivalent. You lose a lot of this once you start getting into APS-C or FF mirrorless though, especially if you still want a complete kit with telephoto coverage.

I think mirrorless has a very bright future, but I also believe they are a long way from DSLR replacements, at least for my personal usage. Too many compromises at the moment for me to consider using them as a primary camera. I use a Nikon 1 V1 and Coolpix A alongside my D810, and everything has it's place. I couldn't imagine replacing something like a D810 altogether with any mirrorless camera currently on the market though.

Those are my reasons anyway, as they apply to my personal requirements - I'm sure it's different for others as we all have different priorities. Sorry that ended up being super long haha!

Apr 20, 2015 at 11:59 AM
Mark K
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony A7 to Nikon D750

I have a whole system for Nex smaller apsC cameras later added A7/A7r. My last trip to Tibet added a dSLR to A7r as a supplementary camera for action shots.
Had both D610/D750 for a very short time and never liked them coz I prefer D800/D700 for faster AF, better image quality

Apr 20, 2015 at 04:09 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony A7 to Nikon D750

CanadaMark wrote:
I've tried to like mirrorless, but I haven't been able to get fully on board for the following reasons (keep in mind these are just my own reasons as they apply to my usage, not meant as blanket statements or absolutes):

Interesting how many of these points (pretty much all of which I agree with, by the way) are because of how small the cameras are. And I just don't see why it has to be that way. There are already plenty of tiny mirrorless cameras for....those people (the ones I rant about constantly in the Sony forum who think the A7 is still too big [seriously?!?!]). And with FF35 the lenses end up so big the overall size/weight difference is negligible anyway (though I suspect a mount that's actually wide enough for FF35, unlike the E-mount, might somewhat mitigate this)! Just build a nice big one with a massive battery to deal with that always-on EVF or LCD.

Edited on Apr 20, 2015 at 09:48 PM · View previous versions

Apr 20, 2015 at 05:02 PM
Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony A7 to Nikon D750

Sold my A7 and bought the D750 some time ago. Bought a A7II a few weeks ago because I missed using my Leica M & R mount lenses on the mirrorless camera, where my X-T1 just didn't feel right with them (M & R mount lenses)...crop factor.

Having the mirrorless back in my hands for stationary subjects feels great. That's mainly what I use it for as I don't own any native Sony FE glass. All adapted manual lenses.

It's a great combo to have the A7II and my trusty DSLRs. Thinking about selling my X-T1 and Fuji glass now that the Sony is back.

Apr 20, 2015 at 05:10 PM
cvrle59
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony A7 to Nikon D750

I played with A7II and X-T1 for some time, but I pulled the trigger on D750, after using D700 for 6+ years. I feel good, Nikon stays home....

Apr 20, 2015 at 06:18 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony A7 to Nikon D750

I had a Sony A7 and A77II, still have the A7 but replaced the A77II with a Nikon D750 for airshows and occasionally birding. I am debating whether I should replace the Sony A7 with another Nikon body (D7200?), I don't like changing lenses so I like to carry to cameras with me.

For me the most valuable aspects of the A7 is the live preview of exposure, no more guessing work, you get what you see, and the vast coverage of AF area. Some of the apps for the Sony are pretty good too.

I keep reading the D750 file quality is better than the Sony's, there may be some truth to that because of the Sony lossy raw files but how much can one actually notice it under most circumstances?

I am still trying to make a decision....

Douglas

Apr 21, 2015 at 07:37 AM
ajamils
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sony A7 to Nikon D750

For the most part I'm OK with A7 II as it provides great IQ in reasonably small package but when it comes to shooting occasional BIFs, it fails miserably and that's why I was thinking about going to D750 as can work in any type of shooting. What stops me is that I've been a mirrorless user for years and I'm very use to EVF, peaking, live exposure preview etc and going to D750 just feels like I'm going back to an older technology.

Apr 21, 2015 at 09:22 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.