New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Advice Please

Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Advice Please

I am attaching a photo in which I have been told that despite cleanup, some dust spots still occur in the sky. I cannot see any. Should you see any I would appreciate your indicating to me where they are.

Thanks,

Rick

Apr 18, 2015 at 06:26 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Advice Please

I think this is most of them. There are a few questionable. They are highly out of focus and might not be obvious to someone who isn't good at nit-picking.

Apr 18, 2015 at 06:45 AM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Advice Please

AuntiPode wrote:
I think this is most of them. There are a few questionable. They are highly out of focus and might not be obvious to someone who isn't good at nit-picking.

Thanks for your help

Apr 18, 2015 at 07:27 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Advice Please

Wow what an Eye, I did not see any even with my scrolling the image back and forth trick. No wonder my images catch so much flack, I must be blind. In fact even when marked I can't see them.

Apr 18, 2015 at 09:07 AM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Advice Please

The ones on the left are the most obvious to me. I saw them, but not all the others. I see them now. Maybe more obvious at a bigger size? Also, have you tried the "visualize spots" box in the clone tool in Lightroom? That sometimes helps, though not always.

Also, nice scene Rick.
Not sure if it's the focus or small size or wind, but it does seem a little lacking in sharpness.

Apr 18, 2015 at 10:21 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Advice Please

The entire image seems a bit soft and in need of sharpening. Of course, sharpening would make the dust spots way more obvious.

I shoot a lot of macro at f/20 so I am fanatical about having a clean sensor. I use my rocket duster pretty frequently. Unfortunately the duster is not built with a filter so it can blow dust onto the sensor. I only use it in a still, clean environment. I also end up doing a wet cleaning a few times a year.

Apr 18, 2015 at 10:29 AM
Rick Joyce
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Advice Please

Thanks for your help. A technique for viewing dust spots which I find often useful is switching momentarily to PS adjustments > equalize where everything is exaggerated including sensor dust. In this case, I still missed them.

Apr 18, 2015 at 01:02 PM
jackhopkins
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Advice Please

Rick,
Something no one else has mentioned is the really obvious chromatic aberration. Look at the trees that intrude into the sky. They're red on the right side and blue on the left.

Apr 21, 2015 at 08:43 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.