Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · A couple Raptors (Swallow-tailed Kite & Cara cara)

eorlando
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A couple Raptors (Swallow-tailed Kite & Cara cara)

Here are a few from last month. The swallow tailed kites are starting to hit the area in full force. This is only the second time I have been able to get pictures of the kites on their perch. It seems like all they do is fly ALL day long. On this particular morning I saw multiple birds on their perch's in the morning. At one point I came around the corner on a trail and jumped at least 10 of them off of a big dead pine tree. I sure wish I had seen them before they all took off. Oh well. As always CC welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for looking!

After posting these a few of the kites look like they have blown whites. Can anyone confirm for me? Thanks

Untitled by e_orlando, on Flickr

Apr 17, 2015 at 06:22 AM
Michael Rucci
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A couple Raptors (Swallow-tailed Kite & Cara cara)

Very nice set orlando. These two birds are high on my list Watch your whites on the kites some hot spots on the chests will detract also i would post a bit smaller Maybe 1000 or 1200 along the long side

Apr 17, 2015 at 06:30 AM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A couple Raptors (Swallow-tailed Kite & Cara cara)

Nice job on the caracara IF's. The STK shots appear to be overexposed on the whites on my monitor, especially on the chest in #1 and 3 and the neck in #2 and 4.

Apr 17, 2015 at 06:58 AM
DonGut
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A couple Raptors (Swallow-tailed Kite & Cara cara)

Tough conditions with bright BG and harsh sunlight. The caracara are much better.
Don

Apr 17, 2015 at 11:34 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A couple Raptors (Swallow-tailed Kite & Cara cara)

Very nice Eric. I agree that the whites may be a little hot in some of these. It's hard to tell if the whites are truly off, or if it's golden light ~ Ron

Apr 17, 2015 at 03:42 PM
sibirdie
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A couple Raptors (Swallow-tailed Kite & Cara cara)

It looks like you had harsh lighting conditions on the STKs and there is nothing you can do to get a good shots like you did with the caracara. Had you chosen the under exposed route, you would have lost the darks. I have never seen STKs perched, and that IMO is what makes their pictures interesting. It looks like you had great light on the caracara pictures.

Apr 18, 2015 at 09:24 AM
mikedec
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A couple Raptors (Swallow-tailed Kite & Cara cara)

Very nice. Love the Cara Cara's in flight.

Apr 18, 2015 at 09:24 AM
eorlando
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A couple Raptors (Swallow-tailed Kite & Cara cara)

The funny thing is the images were taken on the same day. The kites were at 7:37 am and the cara cara at 8:45 am so the light was not harsh on either. Not sure why the kites look so harsh. I guess it is a mystery. Maybe someone else can shed some light on this subject. Thanks to all that have taken the time to comment.

Apr 18, 2015 at 04:23 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.