New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Thickness of focusing screens

Obrink

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Thickness of focusing screens

Hi everyone! I mostly shoot with my Nikon D3100, since I really love the small size of it. I do have a couple of older manual lenses as well, so I have been thinking of getting a split prism focusing screen for it. I'm not really sure of the quality of those Chinese ones you can pick up from ebay though, and paying up for those really expensive ones from Katzeye feels a bit silly for such a cheap camera.

I have, however, just seen an old Canon T-70 for next to nothing online. So I was thinking about the possibilities for cutting it down to use in my Nikon. Cutting the sides so it has the right height and width wouldn't be a problem, I'm quite used to fine hobby work. The big issue would be the thickness - if the Canon screen is thicker than the Nikon it would probably be impossible to install it properly (if the Nikon is thicker I can just use shims to get the screen in the right position).

So I have been searching on-line for the thickness of these screens, but I haven't found anything. So does anyone in here have a clue to how thick these screens are? I would be happy for any help.

Apr 17, 2015 at 01:28 AM
ZoneV
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Thickness of focusing screens

It is a try and error process. I found no thickness data online in a short search.
On Canon DSLR some people have done this, but I have found no Nikon example on my photo DIY link collection:
But this - with not thickness data - could probably help you:
http://lensbeam.com/focusing-screennikon-d3100/

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:44 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.