FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · My First Velvet Mite of the Season

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My First Velvet Mite of the Season

I was searching for slime mould fruiting bodies and small springtails amongst my stack of Sycamore logs when this individual arrived. I expect these mites to run around in the sun but this one was deep in the pile. Thankfully, it walked around, rather than ran.

I have been swapping my 50mm Leitz Photar and 40mm HM Schneider around quite a lot this last two days but I think it was the latter, at f11.The mite being a huge one, compared with most, f16 would have been better but would have needed a higher ISO and I couldn't afford to risk fiddling and losing my subject. So I have had to make some compromises with DOF.

I have been experimenting with placing my fill flash on a slide bar attached to the bottom of my camera and positioned to aim inwards, from the right, from about halfway along the extension. I am awaiting a longer bar. It may be coincidence but theses images, one in particular, were much more contrasty (bright highlights) than usual. I have increased shadow and decreased highlights in PP but the results are still not satisfactory.

Harold

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

Apr 17, 2015 at 01:06 AM
pdmilesjr
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My First Velvet Mite of the Season

I like the color and exposure, but the photos seem to lack a little sharpness.

Apr 17, 2015 at 06:46 AM
plsand
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My First Velvet Mite of the Season

Hi -
These are fine pictures - Good job with something have missed in life -
Interesting -
Thanks - Paul

Apr 17, 2015 at 07:26 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My First Velvet Mite of the Season

pdmilesjr wrote:
I like the color and exposure, but the photos seem to lack a little sharpness.

Thanks. They definitely lack some sharpness at the edge of the DOF. I am not familiar with this species and am not sure how coarse the hairs are. I have sharpened them up a bit but some of the dorsal hairs will remain fuzzy.

Harold

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

Apr 17, 2015 at 09:44 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My First Velvet Mite of the Season

Neat subjects Harold. I'd suggest picking one setup and learning how to get sharp images with it before switching lenses ~ Ron

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:36 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My First Velvet Mite of the Season

surfnron wrote:
Neat subjects Harold. I'd suggest picking one setup and learning how to get sharp images with it before switching lenses ~ Ron

Thanks, Ron.

The current issue is which lens is sharper at these higher magnifications. I also have an internal reflection problem, which I may have solved for the Schneider 40mm but I don't even know if it exists for the Photar.

Harold

Apr 17, 2015 at 01:21 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.