New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Copying pictures from IDE hard drive to SATA hard drive

wizardtwo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Copying pictures from IDE hard drive to SATA hard drive

I recently ran out of hard drive space on an older Dell computer with and IDE hard drive. My NEF and JPEG pictures from LightRoom 2 were saved on the old computer.I used an IDE to SATA StarTech converter to copy the NEF/JPEG files to a new computer with a SATA hard drive and they seemed to successfully transfer. I have a new version of LightRoom 5 and can import the old files into LR 5 to make a new catalog. My question is this: in transferring the old files from the IDE hard drive to the new SATA hard drive, I notice most pictures suddenly have duplicates. Anyone know why or was there a better way to accomplish this?

Apr 16, 2015 at 09:45 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Copying pictures from IDE hard drive to SATA hard drive

How are the duplicates named? If they are something like "filename copy" then it is probably because you inadvertently launched two copy processes when you set it running, or because it failed on something first time and you ran the copy again to get the missing files.

The best way to avoid this is to use a different program to copy the files. I use microsofts "synctoy" for such transfers.

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:20 AM
wizardtwo

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Copying pictures from IDE hard drive to SATA hard drive

Did not accidently use two copy processes to transfer files. Used copy/paste to transfer files via StarTech cable converter from physical IDE hard drive to new SATA hard drive. New directory shows duplicate JPEG and NEF files. ?

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:14 PM
AnnJS
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Copying pictures from IDE hard drive to SATA hard drive

The JPGs are probably just the in-camera previews and are very small files of no value which you can trash.

The NEFs are the files that you need to preserve.

Apr 18, 2015 at 10:09 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.