New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · New camera Nikon d750 or d810

TMaG82
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · New camera Nikon d750 or d810

The 750 with the 24-120 is a great combo. I just bought the D810, but refurbished this time for $2,450, so for me the $450 for a refurbished D810 with 1 yr warranty was worth the price premium over a new D750. But if she's used to the D7100, I agree with the general consensus that a D750 with the 24-120 will give her a nice range and add in a 50 or a 85 1.8 and that should cover a lot of her bases.

Apr 17, 2015 at 11:19 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · New camera Nikon d750 or d810

Ramseagle wrote:
Where do you buy from to get it here

Henrys.com

I sent you a PM.

Apr 17, 2015 at 11:24 AM
Weasel_Loader
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · New camera Nikon d750 or d810

I was ready for a D750, but when I also upgraded with a new 5k iMac that was fully loaded, I decided why not feed it D810 files. So glad I did. Love the controls much better on the D810 and like my old D700s, has the integrated viewfinder shutter. The only thing I wished the D810 had was a pull out/swivel screen. Nikon is going to have to make this standard on all its cameras (maybe not needed on full size pro-bodies).

Apr 17, 2015 at 11:34 AM
Ipanematom
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · New camera Nikon d750 or d810

Ask your wife and get her what she wants--all we can do on this forum is just speculate.

Apr 17, 2015 at 03:33 PM
low325
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · New camera Nikon d750 or d810

d810

Apr 17, 2015 at 03:34 PM
webmstrk9
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · New camera Nikon d750 or d810

Like someone mentioned, letting your wife choose what she needs.

If you want to surprise her, I would go with the d750(based on familiarity of controls) and the 80-200 2.8

Apr 17, 2015 at 03:55 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · New camera Nikon d750 or d810

I was using a D7100 for part time portraits and weddings. It worked very well, along with an extensive lighting system. The portable lighting system was the most important thing. I went for a USED D800E, mainly so I could use a Nikon 24mm PC-E lens for architecture. The D800E is noticeably heavier. It's not a fun camera to hold all day long with a big FX lens during weddings. My Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 lens had to go, along with a couple of others. I replaced them with first class FX lenses. The cost of the camera was about ~$1,500, and I spent another $4,000 (at least!) on lenses for it. Lenses are more important than cameras. For portraits, flash system is more important than lenses.

From a business standpoint, it made no sense at all for me to spend the money on new camera and lenses. I can't charge more now than I did before, I have a ton more money tied up in gear (which depreciates quickly,) and not one of my customers can tell the difference in shots from the D7100 and the D800E with one exception. I also bought the camera/lenses so I could make enlargements bigger that 16x20. If she makes a lot of those AND can charge the money for them, it might work. Otherwise, you have a LOT of money tied up in gear that could have been in your pocket. Another choice to spend money is great software, such as Portrait Pro. This can make a difference customers can see. My own experience. Remember, a camera isn't where the magic is. The magic comes from use of light, and to some extent a great lens.

Kent in SD

Apr 17, 2015 at 06:22 PM
chrisfphotog
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · New camera Nikon d750 or d810

I own both so I can tell you what I have found. I shoot environmental portraits for the most part so that's the perspective I'm coming from.

Like others said the d750 has a layout similar to your wife's current body, but this shouldn't be a factor as the different button layout of the d810 could be learned in hours, if not less.

Here are the main differences (listed in terms of strengths over the other model):

D750:
-better high ISO performance (and I mean this thing is amazing)
-more compact body (some value this, others don't care
-tilting rear LCD (I find this advantageous for low and high angle shots including portraits)
-lighter than d810
slightly faster FPS (this is more important to sports or wildlife shooters but is still nice to have)
-uses 2 SD cards (D810 uses one CF and one SD so you'll have to buy a nice CF card which adds another $100 or so)
-definitely cheaper

D810:
-"professional" button layout which I do prefer but this is subjective
-max shutter speed of 1/8000th of a second (vs D750 1/4000th; helpful to cut down ambient light outdoors)
-lower base ISO of 64 (cleaner files at low ISO)
-super quiet shutter sound (this is truly an underrated feature of this camera, if she's ever in a church or taking photos of a baby it's so nice not to have a loud camera)

There's no wrong choice. With her having that lens I'd say get the D750 and put the balance towards some prime lenses. Glass is super important and will make just as big a difference as a great FF camera. D810 has the advantage of 1/8000th shutter speed for outdoor stuff, but where the D810 really shines is indoor, controlled lighting work (like architecture and studio portraiture). The D750 is probably the best all-around performer ever made and you cannot go wrong with it.

D750 + nicer lenses would be an amazing combo for her. If she does environmental stuff in parks the Sigma 35mm Art would be a great prime lens for environmental portraits, especially paired with an 85mm prime like the Nikon 85mm f1.8 or Sigma 85mm f1.4.

Apr 17, 2015 at 09:53 PM
billydoo73
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · New camera Nikon d750 or d810

buy her an 810 and if she does not like it she can return it for a 750 and a lens. win-win.

Apr 18, 2015 at 02:47 PM
DGC1
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · New camera Nikon d750 or d810

Ramseagle wrote:
Wanting to get my wife a new camera for her photography business, she does a lot of photos hoots outside in parks, but don't know which to get her a Nikon d750 or Nikon d810. She currently has a Nikon d7100

She is "in business" but you are choosing her equipment for her?

Apr 18, 2015 at 03:04 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · New camera Nikon d750 or d810

Another thing I'll mention is that to really make any money just shooting on a few weekends is difficult. You need to have your own indoor spot, i.e. a studio. There, you can control the light and you're not at the mercy of weather. Without this, I just don't see how you'll be able to generate enough cash to justify expensive equipment. I got to this point myself, and decided to just do a couple of shoots for $500 each per month. Half the time I use a Nikon, but the other half of the time I'm using a 4x5 camera with ancient lenses. This is what sets me apart from the horde of other people (such as your wife) who are doing this. I am the only one in my area that can offer portraits made from 100 to 170 yr. old lenses. IF her idea is to actually make money and not just buy camera gear, you'd be hard pressed to justify buying something like a new D750 and the lenses to go with it. Just how many customers will you have to have to simply break even if you buy ~$3,000 worth of gear? And remember that you can't charge more just because you spent more on a camera. You'll get more value from buying good portable lighting and software like Portrait Pro, along with putting some money into advertising. Photography business is about 80% marketing, not cameras.

Kent in SD

Apr 18, 2015 at 04:50 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.