Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · My brand new iMac is pooped

sgtbueno
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My brand new iMac is pooped

Only after 2 months with my almost 4k dollars iMac and is already going to Apple for repair, 2 days ago started slowing down really bad and after 2 days of phone help with Apple now the iMac is not even turning on.
Not too nice of experience for my first Mac computer, and I'm so glad that I use Time Machine, CrashPlan and 2 other external drives for backup.
I hardly use this computer, only edited 3 weddings and few models shoot and the freaking thing dont work already.

Apr 16, 2015 at 06:29 PM
S-Man23
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My brand new iMac is pooped

My first mac was a Macbook Pro, pre-unibody edition. It was brand new from Amazon and the Unibody editions had just come out. I used it for like an hour and the screen went black, wouldn't turn on etc. I took it to apple and they ended up giving me a brand new unibody macbook pro that was faster and with more memory. It was a good trade
Anyway, it didn't turn me off of Mac. Anomalies happen with every company. Get the replacement and move on.

Apr 16, 2015 at 07:01 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My brand new iMac is pooped

It has appeared to me that Apple quality has been declining slowly for a couple of years now. I feel they are putting far too much effort into the, "it's been 12 months, let's get something new out" POV. My son and I were just talking yesterday about how older Apple products were built like tanks and lasted, and that recent products no longer seem to have the same longevity.

Apr 16, 2015 at 07:25 PM
teacher386
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My brand new iMac is pooped

Yikes. Scary stuff considering I have one of the new 5K iMacs as well.

Apr 16, 2015 at 07:29 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · My brand new iMac is pooped

amonline wrote:
It has appeared to me that Apple quality has been declining slowly for a couple of years now. I feel they are putting far too much effort into the, "it's been 12 months, let's get something new out" POV. My son and I were just talking yesterday about how older Apple products were built like tanks and lasted, and that recent products no longer seem to have the same longevity.

It seems that way with a lot of consumer goods now. The Toyotas and the Hondas of years past were super reliable, how many stories have you read of Camrys and Accords with 300-400,000 miles on them, now you can't really say the same. The one thing they still have going for them is their supreme resale value though.

Apr 16, 2015 at 07:52 PM
MGARDUSA1

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · My brand new iMac is pooped

Thats not what I like to hear, I have a 2009 Imac and mbp that I doubled the memory in and use daily for work. Now that I said that I hope I didn't jinx myself. Was thinkin about updating. It should workout for you.

Apr 16, 2015 at 08:49 PM
S-Man23
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · My brand new iMac is pooped

Corporations are and have been migrating toward a more 'consumable' product model instead of one that lasts. Note the myriad subscription based software services available now that used to be stand alone products updated every few years. They've caught on to the fact that greater profit comes from forcing people to have to buy newer models instead of making a product that lasts, and the customer doesn't have to buy a new one for 20 years or so. That's why these "free" software updates from Apple make older machines and iPhones obsolete because they stop supporting them, require new hardware to run them, and slow down the older models to the point of unusability.
It's a good move from a business standpoint but it sucks that the "good ol' days" are gone, never to return.

Apr 16, 2015 at 09:05 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · My brand new iMac is pooped

I've had to exchange every iPhone that I've had for a new one right after inital purchase. With my 3G the wifi didn't work, my 4 locked up every time I went to video (hardware issue) and my 5 had cell network issues that were resolved with a replacement phone. They've all been great and durable phones when I got the replacement but it has been annoying every time doing the exchange.

Apr 16, 2015 at 09:18 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · My brand new iMac is pooped

shhhh ... hear that? It's that whaaamulance. You sound like old coots. I had a Quadra 950 (the mac with keys on the front) that was a crash demon in 1995, and old Hondas and Toyotas used to rust apart.

THESE are the good old days.

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:22 PM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · My brand new iMac is pooped

I cannot agree, I am a PC/Linux guy who finally bought a retina macbook pro largely due to how much better the build quality had become. (display and ssd speed too)

They are terrible for repairability so you are hosed if something does go wrong, but the manufacturing process on mac computers blows away any PC out there.

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:39 AM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · My brand new iMac is pooped

Eh, Felix, it is good you have all bucked-up !, you will probably get a new one, hopefully with an extra !

Nothing is built the same way of course, and something that really pisses me off, regarding to our business, is the huge amount of labs making shit books these days (that used to be good) probably to only "last" for the first hits of the consumer !!!

Apr 17, 2015 at 03:32 AM
giddyup
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · My brand new iMac is pooped

I have an iMac, Macbook Pro, and an iPad. Never had issues with any of them.

Bought my iMac in 2012. I've NEVER had an issue with it. It's still runs perfectly, except it's gotten a bit slower, which is to be expected as it gets older and I really use it. You may have a bad model.

Same goes for the Macbook Pro. Bought it in 2013. Never had any issues with it. It's not as fast as I like, but that's why I have the iMac.

Apr 17, 2015 at 05:53 AM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · My brand new iMac is pooped

Well I'm here at the Apple store right now, going to waste another 2 or 3 hours of waiting time or wait for an appointment on Monday, the greeter at the store tells me that they cant hold the iMac while I wait, so Im here like and idiot holding this Imac waiting somebody to get up so I can sit thi things down, my almost 4k dollars ain't looking too pretty right about now, I was expecting a faster and better treatment like I get when I take my BMW to get fix.
But hey, it's a Mac, right?

Apr 17, 2015 at 09:30 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · My brand new iMac is pooped

Did you not make an appointment at the genius bar through the website? It's pretty easy when you do that, otherwise you have to wait a long while.

Apr 17, 2015 at 09:32 AM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · My brand new iMac is pooped

I didn't because the next avaliable appointment is for Monday and I have work to do.

Apr 17, 2015 at 09:40 AM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · My brand new iMac is pooped

They're going to keep it 3 to 5 days ; (

Apr 17, 2015 at 01:26 PM
S-Man23
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · My brand new iMac is pooped

Must be a busy Apple store. I'm always able to make one within an hour or two at my local one. 3-5 days isn't much. They had my machine for like 2 weeks. Sucks either way, hope you get it sorted out to satisfaction.

Apr 17, 2015 at 03:00 PM
sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · My brand new iMac is pooped

Anyone that thinks that Apple's quality has gone down probably has not researched, or seen on their videos, their manufacturing capabilities. Apple can manufacture, precisely and repeatedly, in nanometer increments. No other manufacturer is that careful.

Can stuff fail? Absolutely, but its not because of engineering or manufacturing capabilities.

My original 2007 Macbook is still running just fine, albeit very slow for today's standards.

Apr 17, 2015 at 05:30 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · My brand new iMac is pooped

sboerup wrote:
Anyone that thinks that Apple's quality has gone down probably has not researched, or seen on their videos, their manufacturing capabilities. Apple can manufacture, precisely and repeatedly, in nanometer increments.

Must be some pretty high res video.

Apr 17, 2015 at 06:18 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · My brand new iMac is pooped

Who cares about fancy clean rooms and spectacular looking manufacturing plants in a video. Apple's failure rates across all devices have been trending up consistently for the past few years. I think the stats are something like 20% of their laptops fail by the end of the second year, and 1 in 4 iPhones fail in under two years as well. Those are pretty significant "failure" rates - meaning "hardware" or "manufacturing" issues.

As far as phones go, let's not forget what hasty runs to release something have resulted in... battery issues, reception issues, bodies that bend, and more. So, again, I stick by my opinion that the real problem is rushing too fast to put something new out every 12-18 months, without proper R&D and QC. This leads to higher rates of failures and or issues. Facts have shown this to be true. Hell, this has even happened in the camera industry. I think that's the point of a few posters above... companies are using lesser QC to their profitable advantage. In the end, it just costs the consumers more.

After seven years, I finally experienced enough issues that I walked away from the iPhone. I know several others that feel the same way I do about it. It seems to be a growing trend.

Apr 17, 2015 at 06:39 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.