Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2015 · What do you like MOST about Canon?

martines34
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · What do you like MOST about Canon?

More intuitive system - overall
Ergonomics
Lens selection and quality
Much more compliant with other systems
Service
Overall selection

Apr 17, 2015 at 06:27 AM
Dave McGaughey
• • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · What do you like MOST about Canon?

Good selection of high quality, reasonably priced, reasonably sized primes (e.g. 24/2.8, 35/2, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 100/2, 135/2, 200/2.8)
Dedicated rear AF button on many of their cameras (unlike Nikon who reserves this only for D800+ lines)
Large selection of affordable full-frame cameras (new and old. e.g. 5d for <$500!)
Service is fast enough and Canon will service gray market goods

Apr 17, 2015 at 07:13 AM

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · What do you like MOST about Canon?

1D cameras.
Guess it's a matter of taste but the UI & ergonomics are good. Also, I could not quite get along with a Nikon camera when I was handed one. However, I guess that it's a matter of habit.
I was using a Nikon, then Minolta cameras before I went to Canon, and at the time both systems seemed distinctly lacking. But that was long ago, and now I guess I could've used any system (from the lens assortment standpoint). I am not using any exotic T&S, fisheye zoom, or superteles.

Apr 17, 2015 at 07:41 AM
Eyvind Ness
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · What do you like MOST about Canon?

1. Yes, I love the lenses. Incredible selection and incredible quality on many of them. If you need a special lens, I'm pretty sure Canon already makes it. Love the output of my MP-E 65mm, 24-70II, and 600II, just to name a few.

2. AF, after 5D3, most of the time, I don't even bother to zoom in to 100% to check if I missed focus. Unless I made an obvious mistake, I know the Canon AF didn't fail on me.

3. Good ergonomics. I rarely need to dig into the menus to change my set-up. And the common functions can be assigned to custom buttons.

Apr 17, 2015 at 08:02 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · What do you like MOST about Canon?

1) Menu system ergonomics
2) mature system that has stuff like wired remote shutter release easily available and fps and buffer that is class leading
3) The lens available - TS17, TS24, 200-400, 600...

Apr 17, 2015 at 08:11 AM
blitzn
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · What do you like MOST about Canon?

1) purchase receipts are always hidden within the box and usually undetectable by significant other
2) differences between lens colors enables a "good story" (white = the minimum lens quality available for printing pictures of far away animals, red stripe = a lens that was marked down in price, just like a red tag sale!, etc)
3) Camera body names can be effectively reversed in order - it goes something like this..... "I think I'll downgrade from the 5D to the 1D and save a bunch of money - on the other hand, maybe I'll get another lens and just break even?"

Apr 17, 2015 at 09:09 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · What do you like MOST about Canon?

1 leading producer, so lots of quality used gear around at great prices
2 controls, ergo, menus/manuals, DIGIC processors
3 lenses, lenses, lenses!

Apr 17, 2015 at 09:39 AM
KKFung
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · What do you like MOST about Canon?

1) Picture quality in real life shooting
2) Fastest AF tracking and accuracy
3) Made in Japan

Apr 17, 2015 at 09:40 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · What do you like MOST about Canon?

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
I'm not sure it's been asked or not ... but I was wondering what your top 3 likes about Canon were?

Me (as someone who makes money from their camera..):
1) Lenses
2) Silent shutter on 5d3
3) Reliability (including things like never getting dust on my sensor)

+1. #3 applies to the 5D3 also. Older bodies got a lot of junk on the sensor.

I like the handling and controls of the Canon cameras. They have a nice feel. Also zooming in and out and scrolling through a lot of images seem much faster and smoother on Canons.

Apr 17, 2015 at 09:53 AM
Photonadave
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · What do you like MOST about Canon?

PhilDrinkwater wrote:
What do you like MOST about Canon?

EB-1 wrote:
That they are not worse than they are.

EBH

Hey wait a minute!
So you are implying that you like Canon because they are worse than their competitors and glad that they are not any more so than that?

Apr 17, 2015 at 10:04 AM
seattlebruin
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · What do you like MOST about Canon?

New favorite thing - every Sigma Rumors thread where Nikon shooters complain about Sigma getting them lenses and me sitting here knowing that my 150-600 is at the post office, ready for use this afternoon!

Apr 17, 2015 at 01:29 PM
luminaire
• •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · What do you like MOST about Canon?

They sucked me in as a 12-year-old with an EOS 1000 kit ( body, two low-tier zoom lenses, flash & voucher for free tripod ) which came in at the same price as a second-hand camera ( possibly Olympus, can't recall now ) and 50mm lens that the other camera shop was offering!

I hammered that camera for well over a decade and when, after a lapse from photography, it came time to upgrade to digital I didn't honestly understand Nikon's range. So Canon it was.

Nearly three decades after picking-up that EOS 1000 I finally made it to the 1-series, albeit a second-hand 1D3. Three decades of lusting for the smallest number... man, they had me hooked and reeled.

So I'd say

1. Durability, even that lowest-of-the-low EOS 1000 just kept clicking. And I had a 5D that survived many cold nights left alone doing astrophotographs even though it wasn't rated for that.

2. Reasonable cost-to-benefit ratio. Though I think this is perhaps a thing of the past, given the prices they now want for non-L primes. $600 for a 35mm f/2? How would a new photographer afford that?

3. Cross-compatibility throughout the range, though I think they screwed this with EF-S.

Edited on Apr 17, 2015 at 02:15 PM · View previous versions

Apr 17, 2015 at 01:54 PM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · What do you like MOST about Canon?

It's the brand I own.

Seriously I would imagine (I can only imagine because I'm not up to date with any other brand) that if it were another brand I would feel the same about that brand.

Skin tones
Lens quality and selection
Free software (DPP), yes I actually use it as a RAW convertor and photo browser
5DIII

Apr 17, 2015 at 02:08 PM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · What do you like MOST about Canon?

not a Canon fanboy - but Canon has worked out well for me over the years

good assortment of Canon lenses -- build quality & image quality

DPP - produces very nice output - 64bit v4 is big improvement

The 400mm F4 DO IS II & 1D X - has been a fantastic setup for portable wildlife shooting, especially for hiking

6D for other work with smaller lenses & night images - IQ has been great

Apr 17, 2015 at 02:18 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · What do you like MOST about Canon?

The C and the A

Apr 17, 2015 at 11:53 PM
luminaire
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · What do you like MOST about Canon?

Interesting to read comments on Canon's menu UI.

Any UI that needs more steps to create a folder on the card than to re-format the entire card is messed-up.

Why do I need to OK | CANCEL to confirm creation of a folder..? Just hurry-up and create it. Annoys me several times a day, usually when tight for time.

Imagine if your operating system popped-up a dialog 'Are you REALLY sure you want to create a folder?'

Apr 18, 2015 at 01:09 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · What do you like MOST about Canon?

luminaire wrote:
Interesting to read comments on Canon's menu UI.

Any UI that needs more steps to create a folder on the card than to re-format the entire card is messed-up.

Why do I need to OK | CANCEL to confirm creation of a folder..? Just hurry-up and create it. Annoys me several times a day, usually when tight for time.

Imagine if your operating system popped-up a dialog 'Are you REALLY sure you want to create a folder?'

Just speaking personally I have never ever needed to create a folder on a card in-camera, I can't imagine why I would

Apr 18, 2015 at 01:52 AM
BasilSavage

p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · What do you like MOST about Canon?

Good, reliable gear. Easy to use, high quality.

I've been buying Canon gear for 10 years now and I've been very happy with my choices and the products available. There's something for everyone. Now if they only had something as good as the LX100 I would have bought it!

Apr 18, 2015 at 08:07 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · What do you like MOST about Canon?

1. Lens quality and selection
2. Reliability
3. CPS service and preferred pricing

Apr 18, 2015 at 09:12 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · What do you like MOST about Canon?

It has been said repeatedly here.

Controls and ergonomics - though interface be it Nikon or Canon is a matter of familiarity.
Reliability.
1D series and 5D line.
Abundance of used kit.

Hoping for some positive change from Canon in terms of risk taking and new generation tech over the next two years.

Apr 18, 2015 at 09:34 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.