New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · shameless plug for Think Tank Photo

Ghostinz
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · shameless plug for Think Tank Photo

Is it just me, or does Think Tank Photo really have there stuff together when it comes to bags?? I do some part time work for a major retailer which affords me access to several makes of bags, at pretty awesome discounts. After tirelessly searching for the right bag as a gift to my daughter, along with her FZ1000, I finally went back to TTP and found exactly what I was looking for. I liked it so much I paid full price for it versus a large discount for another brand. I think two things really stand out for me. One, the ability for their bags to make some nice adjustments to interior pockets and layouts. Second, every bag of their's seems to have plenty of accessory and side pockets to keep stuff organized. Not to mention, a quality build.

I really have to say they seem to know what they are doing.

FYI, I don't work for TTP, but maybe they will send me a free bag if someone sees this post!!

Apr 15, 2015 at 11:49 PM
dodgyexposure
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · shameless plug for Think Tank Photo

There are many happy ThinkTank customers on this forum, me included. Usually, a post like yours comes along because someone has just experienced their exemplary customer service, so you might just be unique in praising them to the heavens before the pleasure of dealing with them post sale!

Apr 16, 2015 at 12:36 AM
Ghostinz
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · shameless plug for Think Tank Photo

Thankfully I have never had any reason to use their customer service. But my assumption is they have that part down too.

Apr 16, 2015 at 09:21 AM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · shameless plug for Think Tank Photo

TT is gold in my book. During a move, I lost nearly the full set of dividers for my Glass Taxi. Contacted TT about buying replacements and they shipped them out, gratis.

Apr 16, 2015 at 09:24 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · shameless plug for Think Tank Photo

in the beginning they concentrated on specific gaps in the bag world. unfortunately since then they are now trying to be all things to all people. products that did have specific functions have fallen by the wayside and out of the picture completely. i have a few of then and glad i do. their quality is good but as to true innovation that nail that stuck up has been hammered down somewhat and mediocrity is setting in. but then that's what sells.

Apr 16, 2015 at 09:32 AM
webmstrk9
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · shameless plug for Think Tank Photo

I was 'suckered' into buying one of their bags back in 2009 and havent looked back since. The Streetwalker Harddrive has been to Europe and China and back. It's been loaded down to 40lbs gross weight and never had an issue. Additionally, my roommate for the first trip to China commented as to how it has enough padding but not too much....as he was trimming his Lowpro.

I'm in contact with them to get some replacement dividers for the SWHDD, but they didnt hesitate in offering to send me replacements for free.

TT Bag Collection
Retrospective 5
Retrospective 10
Urban Disguise 60
CityWalker 10
Streetwalker Harddrive
Soon to be added Airport International or Roller Derby

There isnt one perfect bag is what I keep telling myself

Apr 16, 2015 at 12:18 PM
Danner
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · shameless plug for Think Tank Photo

Think Tank does a great jog designing bags with the photographer in mind. Very practical, and efficient, in design. I love the fact that they keep the padding thin to avoid bulking up the system. Most manufacturers over-do the padding, making the whole darn thing too bulky.

My only wish for Think Tank, is please find a way to cut back on all the Velcro and all the tearing sounds.

Apr 16, 2015 at 03:54 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · shameless plug for Think Tank Photo

i wholly agree on the padding reference

Apr 16, 2015 at 04:06 PM
Ghostinz
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · shameless plug for Think Tank Photo

I agree on the padding too. It really just needs to protect the equipment from rubbing and banging each other, not air dropped from space! So that for sure is one of the things I appreciate about them. Less padding means more space to use in a smaller size.

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:13 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · shameless plug for Think Tank Photo

I owned three Retrospective series bags and they were well made, stylish but pricy for Chinese made bags. Not very comfortable in actual use and were very heavy compared to similar sized Billingham and Crumpler bags and overly complicated with endless pockets, zippers and velcro galore. Yes, the padding was spare but the massive layers of pockets essentially act as padding.

Apr 17, 2015 at 02:58 AM
Vilk
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · shameless plug for Think Tank Photo

need some balance in nature... so here it goes: overly rigid, useless layouts, heavy as sin, strap and pad solutions outright ridiculous, annoying hipster materials and styling... might work for a plumber's kit, in and out of the van

Apr 17, 2015 at 03:55 AM
jharter
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · shameless plug for Think Tank Photo

I have several TT bags and the quality is very good. They are heavy. The larger ones I have are better for airplane transport than working out of. I can get a tone of gear in there, but getting it out quickly and remembering where I put it is another story. My favorite are the simple Mirrorless Mover bags which are very simple. I wish they made one slightly larger so I could fit an A7r with 16-35 and a second A7r with 55 comfortably.

The roller bags look nice but I don't have one of those.

Apr 17, 2015 at 07:56 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · shameless plug for Think Tank Photo

I use the TT Hydrophobia cover thingies (5 out of 5) and the Airport Commuter backpack (4 of 5). OTOH, the AC pack is 5 of 5 compared to taking a same-sized roller bag on a "regional jet". The backpack goes in cabin, the roller goes in back.

P.S. I don't use internal dividers in my packs and bags, I use neoprene covers and (in the AC pack) some custom camera hangers.

Apr 17, 2015 at 08:18 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · shameless plug for Think Tank Photo

I have one of their mid-sized airport bags, but it's no longer made.
The newer bags are not a good size for anything I need.

EBH

Apr 17, 2015 at 11:38 PM
Xavier Rival
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · shameless plug for Think Tank Photo

sjms wrote:
in the beginning they concentrated on specific gaps in the bag world. unfortunately since then they are now trying to be all things to all people. products that did have specific functions have fallen by the wayside and out of the picture completely. i have a few of then and glad i do. their quality is good but as to true innovation that nail that stuck up has been hammered down somewhat and mediocrity is setting in. but then that's what sells.

Totally agree with you here.
I am still a very happy user, but see less innovation in their last releases. Worse, some bags were replaced, with less innovative or impressive features, in my opinion. For instance, I bought the Think Tank Airport Antidote v1, and the v2 does not seem to come even close to my v1, just looking at how the laptop part is now organised.
That does not prevent me from being happy with every single of their bags (and I also experienced very impressive customer service once as well!), but I wish I would see more of the bright ideas they were showing in 2006 or so.

Apr 19, 2015 at 07:23 AM
helimat
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · shameless plug for Think Tank Photo

Ho1972 wrote:
TT is gold in my book. During a move, I lost nearly the full set of dividers for my Glass Taxi. Contacted TT about buying replacements and they shipped them out, gratis.

I lost the bottom ring and the cradle from the TT Glass Taxi in a move, and after reading your post, I contacted them, asking how much it would cost to have a set sent to Canada. All's they asked for was my address and they were on my front porch two days later. Needless to say, I am very impressed.

Aug 16, 2015 at 08:30 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.