New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · MA - Creepy

beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · MA - Creepy

This was shot down the second floor hallway in the abandoned Dejarnette Sanitorium in Staunton, VA.

All the windows are currently shuttered, so it can get pretty dark in there.

I could not see what was in those rooms lining the hallway without a flashlight.

Kiiiinda creepy!

Going for a "less is more" approach here.

Thoughts?

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:01 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · MA - Creepy

On my monitor right now (uncalibrated) the image looks a little too dark and lacks detail in the shadows making it hard to see the context other than a light at the end of the tunnel.

It's more creepy than Count Chocula sneaking up on a 3-eyed Alien, though.

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:31 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · MA - Creepy

Squirrely Eyed wrote:
On my monitor right now (uncalibrated) the image looks a little too dark and lacks detail in the shadows making it hard to see the context other than a light at the end of the tunnel.

It's more creepy than Count Chocula sneaking up on a 3-eyed Alien, though.

That's kinda the idea! You can see just enough to know something is there but you can't quite make it out.

We fear the dark.

We fear the unknown.

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:33 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · MA - Creepy

Agreed. Without your description I'd have less of a clue what I'm looking at and lose the context of an abandoned sanitarium.

Knowing what the location is makes it more creepy.

Apr 15, 2015 at 11:04 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · MA - Creepy

Squirrely Eyed wrote:
Agreed. Without your description I'd have less of a clue what I'm looking at and lose the context of an abandoned sanitarium.

Knowing what the location is makes it more creepy.

The more I noodle this one the more I think the 800px edge is not conducive to really setting the mood.

The pic has much more creep factor in a larger format.

Apr 16, 2015 at 07:27 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · MA - Creepy

Jeff, I think this is one of those tough shots that's hard to convey in a single image. You know how creepy it was standing in that place and for you this image feels creepy but to the viewers we only see a dark hallway with really bright light at the end. I get what you are saying about the darkness but I suspect that there was some decay along the walls or something that would help give it a creepier feeling if you could figure out how to show a hint of it and yet keep the darkness thing going.

To be fair, I'm also working on this MA. The crazy part is, you and I are taking it in the same direction. Darkness and unknown. I took some shots the other night and I think I might have something after looking them on my big screen last night. I want to post it to see what folks think but I don't feel it would be right at this point so I'm just going to wing it with this one.

Are you sure you don't have a close-up of that dead bird to use?
To me that is creepy as all get out. The twisted part is, I've gone back repeatedly to look at that shot. You really did a great job on that assignment Jeff. I realize it more and more every time I look at it.

Apr 16, 2015 at 08:10 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · MA - Creepy

Dave,

Thanks for the insight! I think both Squirrely and yourself have pretty much nailed it here.

You know, I've got a bird picture that I like even more than the one I posted for the WA - I think that you'll dig it. I'll toss that up when I get home from work.

Really glad that you dig the WA pic!

Jeff

Apr 16, 2015 at 08:19 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · MA - Creepy

I really do Jeff.
When I first looked at it I thought "damn... that's kinda gross" but after looking at it I started to see something much more meaningful and began to appreciate the clever eye you had to capture that image with the shadow around it. That is the very thing that often eludes me when I'm looking for a good composition and I completely miss subtle things like that. I'm doing better at picking up on more obvious things but I need to learn to slow down and get a true feel for the subject and area before I start banging off shots.

Your entry may not be for everyone but I can assure you that your image worked on me. It drew me in and kept me there. Repeatedly!

Apr 16, 2015 at 08:32 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · MA - Creepy

lighthound wrote:
I really do Jeff.
When I first looked at it I thought "damn... that's kinda gross" but after looking at it I started to see something much more meaningful and began to appreciate the clever eye you had to capture that image with the shadow around it. That is the very thing that often eludes me when I'm looking for a good composition and I completely miss subtle things like that. I'm doing better at picking up on more obvious things but I need to learn to slow down and get a true feel for the subject and area before
...Show more

I really am a believer that you can find beauty even in something as gruesome as death. You're definitely right about it not being for everyone. But I'd like to think that it could really strike a chord with the right person.

I am an animal lover and actually own a bird myself, so I definitely spent more time with this guy than most people would have.

Apr 16, 2015 at 08:36 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · MA - Creepy

This is indeed creepy and the darkness makes it so. I also agree, 800 px is just a thumb these days. I post at least 1600 wide at other forums.

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:50 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · MA - Creepy

ben egbert wrote:
This is indeed creepy and the darkness makes it so. I also agree, 800 px is just a thumb these days. I post at least 1600 wide at other forums.

Thanks for the feedback, Ben!

Looks like this one will be a creepy shot only at non-assignment resolutions.

Jeff

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:54 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · MA - Creepy

Jeff, If you use this one, have you considered bumping the brightness up just a touch or selectively brightening the walls enough to show some of the decay. I think at the smaller size we are stuck with it might help a little.

Just a thought.

Mine is very dark as well but I don't have the option of brightening it. I think I'll have to crop it more because at this small size it looses critical details.

Apr 16, 2015 at 12:53 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · MA - Creepy

lighthound wrote:
Jeff, If you use this one, have you considered bumping the brightness up just a touch or selectively brightening the walls enough to show some of the decay. I think at the smaller size we are stuck with it might help a little.

Just a thought.

Mine is very dark as well but I don't have the option of brightening it. I think I'll have to crop it more because at this small size it looses critical details.

Dave, if I do use this one I'll have no other option but to boost the shadows more to give better context to the image due to the small res requirements.

Most likely I'll run with my other bird shot.

Thanks for your feedback!

Jeff

Apr 16, 2015 at 12:59 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · MA - Creepy

Maybe an additional creepy element?

Apr 16, 2015 at 04:12 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · MA - Creepy

Karen, the ambiance in the building was creepy enough as-is!

If I saw any glowing eyes I woulda kicked rocks outta there, ha.

We did find what seemed to be a decapitated redtailed hawk in the boiler room. No clue how that guy got there.

Jeff

Apr 16, 2015 at 04:53 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · MA - Creepy

Now a decapitated bird in a dark run-down place... THAT's creepy!

Apr 16, 2015 at 05:08 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · MA - Creepy

Haha funny you did the eyes Karen. That's where I went with mine. I just posted it over there.

I used some of my Bright eyes trail markers for the eyes.

Apr 16, 2015 at 05:34 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · MA - Creepy

lighthound wrote:
I used some of my Bright eyes trail markers for the eyes.

Don't be afraid to color the eyes for maximum threat.

Apr 16, 2015 at 06:14 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.