2       end

Archive 2015 · Website critique...

sigler
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Website critique...

Hey Gang,

I would love some feedback on my website. I'm interested in:

1. What's your first impression. (Like...oh nice...or...this sucks.)

2. Does the site feel fast enough? I like large images, but of course the trade off is speed.

Thanks!

Rob

http://www.RobsPictures.com

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:30 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Website critique...

I like it on an ipad, and it is fast enough or more than fast enough with 4G Internet conection.

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:38 PM
GoodEgg
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Website critique...

I like the site - very professional, eye-catching, great images.

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:55 PM
Guillaume de B

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Website critique...

No real comments regarding the site itself, all seems fine to me. I would suggest however that on the info page where you are talked about in the third person, that feels very out of place when the rest of your offering seems much humbler and more family friendly. Everything from your soft turquoise background, to your family portrait seems at odds with the third person text.

And I know you didn't ask for feedback on this, but the web address really undermines the quality of your work. It sounds far more like an Uncle Bob's hobby site. robsigler.com would be far more appropriate in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Apr 15, 2015 at 01:44 PM
sigler
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Website critique...

Thanks everyone for the input. I foolishly bought the "Robspictures.com" name in 2006. I'm afraid to change it now for fear my SEO will slide. If I change the url, what will happen? Anybody done this?

Also, great comments about the 3rd person.

Rob

Edited on Apr 15, 2015 at 02:04 PM · View previous versions

Apr 15, 2015 at 02:04 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Website critique...

Nice site, Rob. No real issues. Some minor things as follows.

I went to some galleries and most I clicked on needed a password. Would have been nice to see a "password required" text on the photo I clicked on.

One photo I liked and clicked on, didn't have the password requirement, but the photo I clicked on was not there in larger size as I expected.

I agree with the website name change suggested above.

Good luck with your site.

Apr 15, 2015 at 02:04 PM
sigler
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Website critique...

Thanks Jim...I think you were look at the proofing section. The picture you clicked on probably opened the gallery of images for sale.

Apr 15, 2015 at 02:05 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Website critique...

very clean and responsive, good work!

Apr 15, 2015 at 02:16 PM
sigler
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Website critique...

Thank you!

Apr 15, 2015 at 04:40 PM
elorablue
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Website critique...

Very fine site.

I've never seen a buffalo wedding before 😜

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Apr 15, 2015 at 05:26 PM
sigler
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Website critique...

I would imagine that a Buffalo wedding would not be pleasant.

Apr 15, 2015 at 05:28 PM
drzhao

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Website critique...

Hey Rob, I like your website - it looks really nice. Okay a few comments:

1. You should consider adding a phone number (especially in the header of the front page). I do website conversions + lead generation full time, and this so much more important than you might imagine.

2. Personally, I would add "Reviews" & "Meet Rob" to the main header instead of info dropdown. Social proof is super important especially in the wedding photography vertical. You might also consider screenshots of the actual testimonials instead of text based, as it adds credibility. Also while im at credibility, maybe add more of your work to the gallery? Your shots look fantastic but quantity matters. Most people are searching for the most experienced photographer they can get.

3. I would emphasis the "check availability" link more, maybe with a different color or its own button. Right now it doesn't pop out to the eye. These small changes could really influence your opt-in rate.

sigler wrote:
I foolishly bought the "Robspictures.com" name in 2006. I'm afraid to change it now for fear my SEO will slide. If I change the url, what will happen? Anybody done this?
Rob

Yep, you'll have to redo SEO but I threw your URL into SEMrush (keyword tracker) and I don't see you ranking anywhere, so SEO doesn't matter that much in your case. Just go with the URL you like and then redo SEO.

I hope this helps.

Ivan

Apr 15, 2015 at 06:49 PM
sigler
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Website critique...

Great advice...thank you!

Apr 16, 2015 at 09:02 AM
DiPace
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Website critique...

sigler wrote:
Thanks everyone for the input. I foolishly bought the "Robspictures.com" name in 2006. I'm afraid to change it now for fear my SEO will slide. If I change the url, what will happen? Anybody done this?

Also, great comments about the 3rd person.

Rob

You can always register a second domain, and have it point to the same site. It's fairly common for companies to buy multiple domains, funneling them all to the same place.

Apr 16, 2015 at 09:38 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Website critique...

Sorry, but I'm going to offer a different perspective, based primarily on my initial impression when your home page loaded. That first impression was of a huge, and very bright, wedding photo, followed by equally large and bright photos that followed. From there, it was a struggle for my eyes to focus on the very small, and not contrasty-enough text to navigate to any other page. Once that was done, my impression of the site improved, but that first view was actually jarring to me. I'd suggest at least improving the contrast of the text, so the viewer can read it more easily.

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:07 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Website critique...

In your About Me ...

Documenting their day is your "passion"? Sounds like a lot of other About Mes.

Apr 21, 2015 at 05:42 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Website critique...

drzhao wrote:

Most people are searching for the most experienced photographer they can get.

Maybe list how many years of experience in the About Me.

Apr 21, 2015 at 05:45 AM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Website critique...

Put all info on a single page rather than have four sub links

combine check availability and the contact page

Remove the proofing link and send that to clients via email as it is not relevant to new visitors.

Just my opinion but I think too many links the less people are going to look around, make it easier.

Apr 21, 2015 at 09:20 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Website critique...

I would focus the website more....the front page seems like you're a wedding photog, but the blog content is all over the pace.

No pricing info for weddings?

Apr 21, 2015 at 09:30 AM
sigler
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Website critique...

Anybody else mix in "other studio work" on their website? While my business is 90% weddings, I also shoot seniors, families, etc. Should I keep that stuff off my blog?

Thanks for the input everybody! Rob

Apr 28, 2015 at 09:59 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.