New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Epson 3880 is now replaced with Epson P800

cengell
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Epson 3880 is now replaced with Epson P800

The Epson P800 hiding at WPPI in Las Vegas this year Ron Martinsen's had the pleasure of seeing the P800 in action and reviewing the prints at WPPI in Las Vegas this past March and I’m quite pleased to say that to my eyes they are a nice improvement over the 3880. I was also very pleased to learn that it has the same head design that kept the 3880 from getting clogged heads (unlike my 4900 which was clogged nearly every time I used it after about the first year I had it).
Epson Unveils New SureColor P800 17-Inch Wide Professional Printer
Epson SureColor P800 Features Unique Imaging Technology for
Producing Professional Color and Black-and-White Photographic Prints
LONG BEACH, Calif. – April 14, 2015 – Epson today announced the highly anticipated SureColor® P800 printer, representing a new benchmark in photographic print quality. Designed for professional use, the SureColor P800 is a full 17-inch wide borderless printer with unique Epson® MicroPiezo® AMC™ printhead technology. Leveraging an all-new Epson UltraChrome® HD eight-color pigment ink set, the SureColor P800 is capable of producing the next generation of color and black-and-white prints that will inspire us all.
“We understand how important it is for our printers to produce exceptional output that not only accurately conveys a photographer’s vision, but also delivers on the promise of longevity,” said Larry Kaufman, product manager, Professional Imaging, Epson America. “The SureColor P800 redefines the 17-inch photographic printing market, providing robust photo, fine art and canvas media handling capabilities, all focused on delivering stunning exhibition-quality prints that stand the test of time.”
The SureColor P800 features advanced media handling, including a sheet feeder for photo or matte media, and a front-in and front-out paper path for printing on thicker fine art papers and poster board. An optional 17-inch wide roll paper adapter is ideal for canvas and longer print lengths of up to 10 feet for creating breathtaking panoramas. Along with individual 80 ml high-capacity ink cartridges, the SureColor P800 is designed for serious professional use at home or in the studio.
More About the SureColor P800

The versatile SureColor P800 offers a range of new features:
UltraChrome HD Ink: Industry-leading pigment ink technology delivers outstanding color with improved black density and print permanence
Professional Features: Advanced Black-and-White print mode for professional-level neutral or toned black-and-white prints
True Productivity with High-Capacity Ink Cartridges: Nine 80 ml ink cartridges with Auto-switching Photo and Matte Black Ink
Advanced Media Handling up to 17-Inches Wide: Easily print on fine art and roll papers and create panoramas over 10 feet long; front-in and front-out paper path for media and poster board up to 1.5 mm thick and optional rear-mounted 2 or 3-inch core roll feeders
Modern Case Design: Professional look and feel; compact printer design optimized for desktop placement
Complete Connectivity: USB 2.0, Ethernet, Wireless n1, Wi-Fi Direct®, Apple® AirPrint™, and Google Cloud Print™ support
Pricing, Support and Availability

The SureColor P800 will be available for purchase in June 2015 through authorized resellers; pricing follows:
Epson SureColor P800 - $1,295.00 MSRP (or less at B&H)
Optional Roll Paper Adapter - $199.95 MSRP
UltraChrome HD 80 ml Ink Cartridge - $59.95 MSRP
The printer is supported by a one-year, whole-unit-exchange, limited warranty plan, and specialized technical support staff. For more information on the SureColor P800,

Apr 14, 2015 at 09:10 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Epson 3880 is now replaced with Epson P800

Some testing of the P600 that I've read reports that it is a fine printer. It also reported that while the print quality may be better, the difference is not exactly night and day — and most people, including photographers, probably won't notice it.

It seems like the bottom line is that this new series represents ongoing, incremental improvement — always a good thing but not, for example, a likely reason for upgrading a printer. For lots of folks looking for a first or new larger printer, it sounds like a good option.

YMMV,

Dan

Apr 14, 2015 at 09:36 AM
cengell
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Epson 3880 is now replaced with Epson P800

I agree! But what I heard is that the P800 prints do look better, and if using the same head or close to it, the ink's and the diffusion pattern could make the improvement.

The newest inks do have a larger color gamut and I would expect that to improve the prints but would I dump my 3800 for the new P800 I don't think so!

Christopher

Apr 14, 2015 at 09:40 AM
D_Sh
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Epson 3880 is now replaced with Epson P800

The better question now, should anyone pay $1.2k for P800 or buy 3880 for $879 ($1,129 - $250 rebate). Looking at print quality of 3880, don't really see that much room for improvement. However, P800 has some nice features, like Roll Paper support (though for $199 extra :-().

Apr 14, 2015 at 03:29 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Epson 3880 is now replaced with Epson P800

Does it have the same black ink switching routine as the 3800/3880?

Apr 14, 2015 at 05:34 PM
cengell
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Epson 3880 is now replaced with Epson P800

I understand it does and should use the same amount as I don't see how they could or why would they reduce that amount since they make there living on the ink & Paper.

There will be more used 3800/3880 soon, and I would agree other than a bigger gamut and maybe a tad smaller dot I would not expect to see side by side a huge improvement! But there will be some with the better density of the new K inks.

Christopher

Apr 14, 2015 at 05:41 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Epson 3880 is now replaced with Epson P800

Hmmm, improved colour gaumet, improved Dmax, roll feed...looks like a nice upgrade. Take your existing 3880 and convert to Piezography for your B&W prints and pick up one of these for colour.

Apr 15, 2015 at 07:52 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Epson 3880 is now replaced with Epson P800

A nice upgrade would have looked like:

10 channel head w/ gloss optimizer and no switching
roll paper widget included.

I see this P800 as a mediocre mid-life kicker product. Nothing that screams 'must have now'

Apr 15, 2015 at 09:46 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Epson 3880 is now replaced with Epson P800

You can find an exhaustive and generally positive review of the P600 (same system, but smaller size) from the always-excellent Northlight here: http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/reviews/printer/epson_sc-p600.html

If you are passionate about understanding printers it is well worth wading through the whole thing. I'll include a brief excerpt from the conclusions section below:

"Will getting an SC-P600 massively improve your prints?
Of course not ...The truth (IMHO) is, that many print problems I see are due to 'user fixable' issues...

"If I had a perfectly good R3000 I'd not rush to update, but if I was perhaps printing from a smaller all-in-one style printer and wanted to really push my print quality, then the SC-P600 is an excellent way to go.

"Sure, it's producing slightly deeper blacks than before, but in reality you're probably not going to notice without detailed comparisons."

All in all, the updates seem like the sort of useful and good incremental improvements that we expect to see from time to time in any product. If you don't have a printer already that covers the ground that these (P600 and P800) cover, they sound like worthy purchases. On the other hand if you understand what you are doing and you are getting the excellent results that are possible with the previous generation of comparable printers, it doesn't sound like you are going to see any difference in your prints.

YMMV,

Dan

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:15 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Epson 3880 is now replaced with Epson P800

good to know that, if my 3880 decides to kick the bucket, there's a new option available! For now, the 3880 will do fine

Apr 15, 2015 at 03:38 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Epson 3880 is now replaced with Epson P800

I like my 2-yr old 3880. I use inkjetmall inks so printing costs are low. There are a couple of negatives. The black ink switching is one. Storing the printer is another. I often travel for weeks or months and need to put my printer into storage by replacing the ink with solvent. I wish there was an easy, convenient way to do that. Seems like the new printer does not solve either of those issues.

The only reason I can see for an upgrade is to move to a 24" printer. I print almost everything except proofs on 17x25 paper and that is now looking small.

Apr 16, 2015 at 10:31 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Epson 3880 is now replaced with Epson P800

I'm not in the market for a new printer, but just keeping things in mind for the future. I use the Canon Pro-100, and I like the dye ink set because I don't need to switch inks, print quality is outstanding, and I don't have any clogging (as in, I've never had a single nozzle clog), which I've had in the past with pigment printers. Do the improved nozzles to prevent clogs actually work? Nothing infuriated me more than printing something, wasting a sheet and spending time doing cleaning cycles, burning ink.

Apr 17, 2015 at 10:02 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Epson 3880 is now replaced with Epson P800

My 3800 is 8 years old now and it has been a fantastic printer, but it is showing some signs of death, like error messages including the words "service call". It has alaways had issues loading paper in the rear feed which is the only one I use. But a restart clears it so far.

I have the 50MP 5DS-R on preorder and would love to move up in print size, but I have not been encouraged by the larger printers when they are left unused for weeks as mine is. It just works and occasionally needs a nozzle check and cleaning.

But the ability to use rolls and longer paper means I could print my favorite aspect ratio of 16x9, which translates into 17x39 or longer. I do this now for some prints, but it is very wasteful of sheet paper when you start with 24x36. Roll paper feed is another nice option. Although flattening rolled paper afterward is a pain.

I guess I really wish this printer did 24 wide, at a fairly low price and with the same non-clogging reputation.

Apr 17, 2015 at 10:23 AM
cengell
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Epson 3880 is now replaced with Epson P800

I expect Epson later this year to have a 24'' and larger using the same inkset. I agree it would have been great to be able to use rolls media in the size you are talking about.

For a 24'' printer $3k is a low price and would expect when Epson updates there current printers that should be the cost.

Christopher

Apr 17, 2015 at 10:35 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Epson 3880 is now replaced with Epson P800

ben egbert wrote:
My 3800 is 8 years old now and it has been a fantastic printer, but it is showing some signs of death, like error messages including the words "service call". It has alaways had issues loading paper in the rear feed which is the only one I use. But a restart clears it so far.

I have the 50MP 5DS-R on preorder and would love to move up in print size, but I have not been encouraged by the larger printers when they are left unused for weeks as mine is. It just works and occasionally needs a nozzle check
...Show more

Ben, I use a couple of HP Z3100 printers for my large prints and have no issues with clogging or other maintenance due to being left unused for extended periods of time. I travel quite extensively for work and my printers are left without usage for up to 3 weeks...never a head clog. I leave them on and they periodically wake up, go through a head cleaning process and go back to sleep. Very frugal on ink.

Purchased both 2nd hand and have been in use for the last 5 years. Worth looking at HP if you want a larger format printer and don't want to deal with clogging heads.

Apr 17, 2015 at 10:43 AM
rsk7
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Epson 3880 is now replaced with Epson P800

If you want 24 inches I'd consider the ipf64xx series from cannon too. Good reputation for non-clogging heads, no issue with photo black and matte black swapping. Wait for the canon printer rebates and you can definately pick one up for a lot less than the $3k mentioned earler. Current B&H and Adorama price is $1889.

Apr 17, 2015 at 05:25 PM
ilegales
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Epson 3880 is now replaced with Epson P800

i have just heard from Keith Cooper that this new P800 has Friction Rollers
exactly the same as the epson 3880

so there is sadly the possibility of the pizza wheels marking happening

i have these marks sometimes on black areas of the prints

not pleasant at all

sad to hear that in all this time Epson still could not put the vacuum into this new printer
as its only the marking s that appear sometimes that i do not like about this printer

Apr 20, 2015 at 05:24 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Epson 3880 is now replaced with Epson P800

Well, I'm deeply invested in the 3880 - one for color and the other specialized B&W. I've found Jon Cone's inks and cartridges to be every bit as good as Epson horrendously overprice carts. About the only thing of real attraction here is the possibility of a roll attachment but agree it should have been part of the package rather than an expensive add on.

24" wide would be sweet, but at $3k it won't make the budget anytime soon. I know Canon has a cheaper version, but I got burnt twice with fairly expensive Canon photo printers that had very short lifespans. Maybe just my bad luck as others like them. Still, I'm sticking with Epson for now. I have to agree with Howard. Nothing about this screams "buy me!"

Robert

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:44 PM
anselwannab
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Epson 3880 is now replaced with Epson P800

I have a Epson 2200, which must be over 10 years old now, I bought it used. I like it except for how small the cartridges are. My wife is not a fan of the output, so I don't do as many prints as I could.

I'm thinking the jump from 2200 to the P800 would be a pretty good one? I looked on the Epson site and the dealers listed for Pro Stylus printers doesn't include the usual camera store suspects here in Denver. I think I'd like to print out a couple of pics before I put the coin down for one.

Is the 2200 still a viable dedicated B&W printer? Would that out perform the P800 for B&W?

May 09, 2015 at 12:04 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Epson 3880 is now replaced with Epson P800

anselwannab wrote:
I have a Epson 2200, which must be over 10 years old now, I bought it used. I like it except for how small the cartridges are. My wife is not a fan of the output, so I don't do as many prints as I could.

I'm thinking the jump from 2200 to the P800 would be a pretty good one? I looked on the Epson site and the dealers listed for Pro Stylus printers doesn't include the usual camera store suspects here in Denver. I think I'd like to print out a couple of pics before I put the coin
...Show more

The P600 (IIRC) would also be a fine move as long as you are happy with the print size capabilities (13") of your old 2200. The P800 handles 17" widths.

You are definitely going to see a noticeable improvement in your output. I had a 2200 "back in the day," and while it could make nice prints, it was particularly prone to metamerism failure. This results in color shifts in varying light, and it was especially noticeable with black and white prints.

The problem is largely resolved in these newer printers.

Dan

May 09, 2015 at 04:17 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.