FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · African landscapes

bladesofgrass
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · African landscapes

I've been an admirer of the fine talent here for some time, though I am mostly a macro photographer and have little to contribute. Lately however, I have been wanting to incorporate more landscape into my macro as a backdrop and was hoping to learn from the people here. I still feel the compositions are off or there could be minor tweaks in processing but could really use another few sets of eyes. Any C&C would be most appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

The three sisters from Anja reserve, Madagascar.

ƒ/5.0 shutter speed 58.1 ISO 800 shot on 5DIII with Zeiss 15mm

ƒ/3.5 shutter speed 58.1 ISO 800 shot on 5DIII with Zeiss 15mm

Ranomafana rainforest falls:

ƒ/13.0 shutter speed 0.5 ISO 64 shot on sony A7r with Zeiss 15mm

ƒ/16.0 shutter speed 0.8 ISO 64 shot on sony A7r with Zeiss 15mm

Green canyon from Isalo national park, Madagascar:

ƒ/6.3 shutter speed 1/500 ISO 100 shot on sony A7r with Zeiss 35mm

Thanks for looking and commenting,
Paul

Edited on Apr 14, 2015 at 08:19 AM · View previous versions

Apr 14, 2015 at 03:44 AM
savingspaces
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · African landscapes

Beautiful stuff, but Jim Fox will delete everything over 5 shots, which is the max you can post at one time.

Apr 14, 2015 at 04:19 AM
bladesofgrass
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · African landscapes

Whoops, thanks. I'll save him the trouble and save the others for another post.

Apr 14, 2015 at 04:38 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · African landscapes

You understate yourself.
I think these are fine shots. I especially like the night sky shots (duh). I think it is hard to find a nice foreground to compliment the night sky, especially if you want to include the milky way. Your foreground details are extremely sharp and noise free which is great.
Good job.

David

Apr 14, 2015 at 07:33 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · African landscapes

Hey Paul,

What a cool trip you were on there. My favorites are #4 and then #3. I do have a few suggestions for the others, which are nice shots, but could be a little better.

#1 and 2 are going to be hard shots to get light onto the ground area manually and get them to look right. Typically in scenes like this you have 2 options. 1st time it so you can use a partial moon to light up the scene for you. 2nd would be to have set up and taken some twilight shots where the ground is lit up more and then take the star shots (without moving the camera) later and then blend the two.

In the case of #1, it looks a little off because the trees in the foreground are lit up but the mountain/hill in the background is totally black. Having some detail on that back mountain would make a huge difference.

In #2, it feels massively vignetted. The center of the shot is lit up nicely, but then it very quickly gets too dark. Having the scene evenly lit would have really helped that one. Using a layer mask to select all around that middle spotlight and then brighten up the darker areas to match could be done now in post.

In #5, the small branches and leaves hanging down into the frame are distracting. Rarely does framing a shot with branches from trees work.

I hope that helps.

Jim

Apr 14, 2015 at 03:10 PM
bladesofgrass
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · African landscapes

Thanks for the kind words David, much appreciated.

Jim - Tremendous thanks for the time and effort to critique the way you do. This is exactly the kind of feedback that I'm looking for to improve my images and helps coming from a photographer I respect and admire. I also agree that more detail would have been nice in the two nighttime shots. I tend to have several spots I'd like to shoot from and lacking a second tripod I have to make some sacrifices, but indeed I think I should have stuck to the one spot to really fine tune the image. These are some of my first (moderately successful) forays with night photography, so I'm still learning and tweaking. I'll have to read over some other posts on the subject.

If you can direct me towards any resources you might think would help with the composition/technical aspects of night photography I'd be much obliged.

Thanks again and best wishes,
Paul

Apr 15, 2015 at 05:44 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.