New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · Big Canon lens and womanpower

PetKal
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Big Canon lens and womanpower

Today when out photographing my aquatic pijuns I saw a lady in action who impressed me a lot. On her shoulder she carried with apparent ease 600 II + 1DX mounted on Wimberley gimbal and Gitzo series 3 tripod, from her car to the pond, which is about 1/2 mile hike.

She was also very interested in my 400 DO MkII because she said she found her 600 II a bit tiring for hand-held shooting. I understood that last year she used 600 II handheld for shooting terns in flight.
She's been into that sort of photography for a number of years, and obviously extremely well conditioned for the gears and action that goes with it.

I reckon she was in her early to mid sixties, about 5 '2" tall and not more than 110 lb. That is one strong little lady, I tell you, and her stamina can put many a big man to shame.

That just goes to show that raw strength might play some part in our ability to handle heavy gears, however I'd say persistence and conditioning are more important.

Apr 13, 2015 at 09:17 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Big Canon lens and womanpower

PetKal wrote:
...persistence and conditioning are more important.

+1

Apr 13, 2015 at 09:25 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Big Canon lens and womanpower

I'm tellin' ya, telephoto lenses are how photographers workout.

Strength will help you lug it, conditioning will allow you to use it longer and with less reliance on IS.

She didn't buy the lens from you, did she?

Apr 13, 2015 at 09:44 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Big Canon lens and womanpower

There are two critical modes of long lens handheld use which cause rapid fatigue and consequent deterioration of camera/lens control:
* frequency of raise/lower shooting cycles, and
* duration of poise-and-ready-to-fire episodes.

A proper body posture and lens hold help a bit, but beyond that it's mostly conditioning. I have observed that there is no correlation between body size (and apparent raw strength) and the ability to use long lenses handheld. What I do not know in all cases is how effective all those hand-held shooters are. In the end, it is a successful capture and IQ that matters.

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:04 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Big Canon lens and womanpower

When I'm at a pause in a situation that I'm doing mostly handheld shooting, I start by 'cradling' the lens in my arms. If nothing much is still happening (or not happening), I put the lens nose down (hood down) on the ground in front of me.

P.S. What I do with my heavy lenses is not "woman power". Everything I have done, currently do, and hope to do, is courtesy of "woman power".

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:11 PM
ashley138
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Big Canon lens and womanpower

Quite impressive!
I am not nearly as small as the woman you mentioned but I handhold my 500 versI and I've seen men on this forum complain about the weight of 100-400. What Im getting at is - whats "heavy" is all perspective.

Apr 13, 2015 at 11:36 PM

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Big Canon lens and womanpower

PetKal wrote:
I saw a lady in action

...I found that girl with the golden hair
And she was a-riding on a Tennessee Mare...

Ahem. Got pics?

Apr 14, 2015 at 03:41 AM
fraga
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Big Canon lens and womanpower

ashley138 wrote:
Quite impressive!
I am not nearly as small as the woman you mentioned but I handhold my 500 versI and I've seen men on this forum complain about the weight of 100-400. What Im getting at is - whats "heavy" is all perspective.

I will "tread lightly" (or should I say thread lightly...), as my last attempt of discussing this same subject was not well received at all by several men and, to my great surprise since I tried my best to not "injure" anyone's ego, several accusations were bestowed upon me.

I fully agree with Ashley and I will add my own opinion: besides perspective, I also see determination.

All is definitely relative (after prolonged handheld use of a 500IS V1, going straight back to a 70-2002.8 ISII really makes the later feel like a kit lens), but one's determination is, in the end, one of the biggest factors in what individual photographers are willing to do and, consequently, their choice of gear.

So without further expanding the topic, to add to Peter's original post I will just say that the lady in question, regardless of natural strength and level of conditioning, is one determined gal.

Apr 14, 2015 at 04:14 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Big Canon lens and womanpower

I retired a year ago and joined a gym. Some time ago it occurred to that I should start doing exercises specifically for handholding my 500. My trip to Florida last month was the first real test to see if exercise helped. My conclusion was a resounding YES!
You don't need to join a gym though. Just get a 1 lb or maybe a 5 lb bag of beans or rice and hold that in the shooting position and/or do reps lifting the bag. It will help ~ Ron

Apr 14, 2015 at 07:05 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Big Canon lens and womanpower

Pretty common sight around here....

Apr 14, 2015 at 07:49 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Big Canon lens and womanpower

trenchmonkey wrote:

Will, what is quite common there? A lady hand holding her long gear or the white lens ?

Apr 14, 2015 at 08:09 AM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Big Canon lens and womanpower

No surprise. Female photojournalists have been handling heavy gear on tough assignments for decades. Most newspapers have about equal numbers of male and female staffers. Personally, I hate hauling those 400 f/2.8 or 600 f/4 lenses around!

Apr 14, 2015 at 08:40 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Big Canon lens and womanpower

trenchmonkey wrote:

AGeoJO wrote:
Will, what is quite common there? A lady hand holding her long gear or the white lens ?

why, a lady holding long gear...of course
Guess you haven't heard, black's the new white.

Apr 14, 2015 at 08:50 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Big Canon lens and womanpower

raw strength might play some part in our ability to handle heavy gears, however I'd say persistence and conditioning are more important

Did you see her pics? They may have been awful. Just because she can carry all that and has enough cash to buy them, they may not be much good. Just raising the possibility...

Apr 14, 2015 at 09:04 AM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Big Canon lens and womanpower

http://jeffersonposter.smugmug.com/photos/i-XsHZnnG/0/M/i-XsHZnnG-M.jpg

Jefferson ...

Apr 14, 2015 at 10:05 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Big Canon lens and womanpower

Robin Smith wrote:
Did you see her pics? They may have been awful. Just because she can carry all that and has enough cash to buy them, they may not be much good. Just raising the possibility...

No I haven't seen her pictures, but I do know she was shooting in the aperture priority mode, and struggling a bit with an appropriate amount of EC because of some strong sun reflection in the scene.....but that is neither here nor there, because many seasoned photographers do that sort of semi-auto camera control and still get viable or even excellent shots.
My guess is that you will not find too many photographers who use 1DX + 600 II combo and with it produce poor pictures, in fact I can't think of any myself.

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:00 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Big Canon lens and womanpower

Having 'Lugged' my 120-300 OS around Silverstone for 6 hrs on sunday (I managed 2 laps on Bike and foot myself ) and finding my arms and shoulders not liking the amount of handheld panning I was doing I take my hat off to anyone who can wield one of those lenses handheld for any length of time

Actually I wish Id got a shot of the Lady press 'tog at last years british Moto GP . She was toting on one shoulder a 600 mk1 + 1series and on the other a 400/2.8 + another 1 series . Her partner (they were a pair) was the lightweight of the 2 as he had the 300 + 1 series and a 70-200 + 1 series .

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:14 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Big Canon lens and womanpower

My guess is that you will not find too many photographers who use 1DX + 600 II combo and with it produce poor pictures, in fact I can't think of any myself.

Peter if you lend me the combo for a while and Im sure I could produce some poor stuff for you

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:16 AM
brimull
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Big Canon lens and womanpower

I guess there's a cost benefit analysis to carrying a REALLY heavy lens when there is lots of hiking involved, whether male or female. Biology still matters and males generally (not always) have far superior upper body strength. Yet, I agree conditioning and the more intangible "motivation" are more important factors regarding the level of discomfort one perceives and is willing to endure. Even the big lenses aren't really heavy in the sense of requiring great, raw power. I've found that even when well-conditioned, both in cardiovascular fitness and strength, lugging and hand-holding big lenses over long distances can aggravate underlying issues that almost everyone has, e.g., arthritis, carpal tunnel, blown rotator cuffs, lower back and neck stiffness, strained tendons or ligaments at joints, tight hamstrings, etc., etc.

And as MOST of us already know, these niggling issues get worse as we get older!

Brian M.

Apr 14, 2015 at 03:22 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Big Canon lens and womanpower

Yes. The older I get, the better I was.

Apr 14, 2015 at 03:26 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.