FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Globbie's Cousin Dicyrtoma fusca

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Globbie's Cousin Dicyrtoma fusca

I was searching through my pile of logs where I had been finding Neanura muscorum when I saw a large, globular figure in profile. Thinking it was a large psochid or a plant hopper nymph, I carried the log to my photography table.

When I framed and focused I was still unsure. When I reviewed the image I got a surprise. It was a dicyrtomid, almost filling the frame, and it was not Dicyrtomina. It lacked the zipper-like markings on the rear of the abdomen and the distinct pigment patterns, present (feintly) even in the yellow form. The taxonomic difference between the genera is the presence or absence of a tunica (loose-fitting sheath) on the claws. Good luck with that one via a photo!

As I shortened the extension to allow more room in the frame, the springtail jumped off the log. Having only one poor image, I was desperate to find it. There it was, on the base of the block of wood I used to support my fill flash. Before I could frame it it was gone again.

Against the odds, I found it walking on the surface of the wooden table and tracked it for further images, only one of which (first image, cropped by about a third) was of decent quality.

EM-1 (manual mode), extension, Kiron x 1.5 Matchmate TC, reversed Schneider HM 40mmat f11, Twin TTL RC flash (one free-standing), hand-held.

Harold

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:51 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Globbie's Cousin Dicyrtoma fusca

Good find Harold.
Still too much diffraction for my taste.
Brian v.

Apr 13, 2015 at 01:11 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Globbie's Cousin Dicyrtoma fusca

LordV wrote:
Good find Harold.
Still too much diffraction for my taste.
Brian v.

Yes, they needed quite a bit of work, especially sharpening. I hope to do better next time, whenever that might be. The species is supposed to be common.

Harold

Apr 13, 2015 at 01:22 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.