FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Battery pack for Yongnuo speedlights

rondphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Battery pack for Yongnuo speedlights

Before I get lost on the internet reading reviews and whatever else flashes across my screen, I thought I'd start here and ask if anyone has any experience with battery packs for yongnuo flashes.

Apr 12, 2015 at 11:05 AM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Battery pack for Yongnuo speedlights

I use a set of three Lumedyne Tinycycler batteries I've had since '07. You can get something similar a lot cheaper these days like the godox batteries. All you need is the HV cable made to fit canon flashes.

Apr 12, 2015 at 04:16 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Battery pack for Yongnuo speedlights

Canon AA packs are fine unless you want to get fancy

Apr 12, 2015 at 05:49 PM
skuophoto

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Battery pack for Yongnuo speedlights

I have a Yongnuo battery pack. Works fine, but it emits a high-pitched whine when it is plugged into the flash. I only have one, so I'm not sure if this is normal behavior.

Apr 12, 2015 at 07:29 PM
hvu2012
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Battery pack for Yongnuo speedlights

skuophoto wrote:
I have a Yongnuo battery pack. Works fine, but it emits a high-pitched whine when it is plugged into the flash. I only have one, so I'm not sure if this is normal behavior.

Mine has the same thing, but i return it and have decided to go with Canon brand.

Apr 13, 2015 at 09:42 AM
Rincon

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Battery pack for Yongnuo speedlights

I have been using the PB-960 battery packs with my Yongnuo 560 and 565 flashes for about 6 months. Had no problems whatsoever and the battery packs keep the flashes going for a full wedding with plenty of charge still left at the end of the night.

Apr 13, 2015 at 12:37 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Battery pack for Yongnuo speedlights

If you're okay with an AA based solution, I've had 2 of these Amazon gems for about a year and they have held up well. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003YV1N0S/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are basically a Canon-compatible 3-pin external power pack, so nothing really fancy at all. They have an LED that lights up when connected, the cord and plug are surprisingly robust, and it just works. There is a certain inconvenience with having more and more AA's to recharge all the time, so a lithium ion solution might be easier and could probably perform better if the cost benefit adds up for you.

Apr 13, 2015 at 02:58 PM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Battery pack for Yongnuo speedlights

I have 4 of those above, I use them with my YN 600RT and work really nice.

Apr 13, 2015 at 07:42 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Battery pack for Yongnuo speedlights

I had a couple of the " Shoot" EP-N4 brand Chinese Cheapies and a couple of Youngo flashes.

I had the battery pack and the flash die on me after a couple of years. I can't remember what I did now but I put either some or all of the batteries in around the wrong way in either the battery pack or the flash. I can't remember which one it was.

In any case, I'd have to put it down to my own fault because the other pack and flash are still fine and have been hammered well beyond what I would expect any gear to take over the time I have had them.

I will replace the flash with the same unit because I did see that I had put the batteries in backwards so I can't blame the gear all together. A simple .2c diode in the circuits would probably prevent the problem but then again, so would the idiot operator putting the batteries in the right way round in the first place.

With the price of the Turbo battery knockoffs being so cheap now, I'll probably get one of those for the battery pack replacement.

Apr 14, 2015 at 05:45 AM
Steve Tinetti
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Battery pack for Yongnuo speedlights

I use a Turbo with dual output. Works great for stand with two flashes. I bought mine used directly from Quantum.

May 06, 2015 at 10:23 AM
DoubleDragon

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Battery pack for Yongnuo speedlights

I have a few different external batteries for our flashes, we use Canon 600Ex-Rt flashes though. An older Calumet Powerblock 900 model, which is not being produced anymore, I use for off camera flash and basically leave it attached to a lightstand.

Recently I bought two external batteries from Godox (link) and they have been serving me well. They're cheap too, about $100 each.

May 06, 2015 at 04:54 PM
azmerm

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Battery pack for Yongnuo speedlights

I have both the Cheetah Lithium 4500 and the Godox Propac Pb960 and both have worked very well. I believe they're actually the same. The Cheetah powers my 2 on camera Metz 64's and Godox powers my off camera SB910. Really reduces recycle time.

May 06, 2015 at 05:40 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.