New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Metabones EF Nex adapter glitches

johnahill
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Metabones EF Nex adapter glitches

I've been using a Metabones EF - nex mk4 adapter for a little white, just recently using a canon 70-300L the aperture control stopped working and the Sony A7r just displayed f.

Dismounting lens/adapter or powering off the camera sometimes stopped the issue but then it would intermittently come and go.

Metabones adapter is on 0.4 firmware which is the latest.
This also happened with different lenses.

Anyone else have similar problems?

Apr 12, 2015 at 04:28 AM
gregoirec

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Metabones EF Nex adapter glitches

I'm having this issue as well with a mk4 adapter. Seen it happening with my TS-E 17mm and 24-105 /f4.

Surprisingly this never happened with my older mk3 version of the adapter, which was also tighter on both camera and lens mounts. So this could be the reason.

I really wish there would be a good alternative to Metabones. Their quality seems to be so random, for such a high price it really is a shame.

Apr 13, 2015 at 03:08 AM
tsdevine
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Metabones EF Nex adapter glitches

Jiggle the adapter back and for a little when it happens. I have the III version, and it occasionally acts the way you describe. I don't know if it's the exact scenario you are facing though, but when I rotate it back and forth a little (without pushing in the release button), it works. I believe it has to do with the contacts being aligned properly for the adapter and camera to communicate.

If this isn't the scenario you're facing...sorry for the false hope.

-Tim

Edited on Apr 13, 2015 at 07:38 AM · View previous versions

Apr 13, 2015 at 04:29 AM
Simon Kennedy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Metabones EF Nex adapter glitches

I also have this exact problem with all my lenses. I contacted Metabones who invited me to send them the adapter to check it. I only have one adapter though so this is not ideal...

Apr 13, 2015 at 04:31 AM
shirozina
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Metabones EF Nex adapter glitches

Happens with my TS-E lenses occasionally. Remounting them fixes it. Also try cleaning the pins on the adapter and contacts on the lens.

Apr 13, 2015 at 08:05 AM
johnahill
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Metabones EF Nex adapter glitches

hmm sounds pretty common, works sometimes and when not it displays f-- instead of the aperture.

Seemed to happen more with heavy lenses, even though they were on a tripod foot.

Apr 13, 2015 at 08:09 AM
gregoirec

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Metabones EF Nex adapter glitches

Yeah jiggling the lens most of the time takes care of the issue, as described by Tsdevine. However one must admit that for such a pricey accessory, this kind of issue is a huge disappointment. To me it seems Metabones are cashing in but not trying to improve their products. If only another brand would step up the game, Metabones would be forced to wake up a little..

Apr 13, 2015 at 09:02 AM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Metabones EF Nex adapter glitches

gregoirec wrote:
Yeah jiggling the lens most of the time takes care of the issue, as described by Tsdevine. However one must admit that for such a pricey accessory, this kind of issue is a huge disappointment. To me it seems Metabones are cashing in but not trying to improve their products. If only another brand would step up the game, Metabones would be forced to wake up a little..

+1. Fortunately never seen this issue on my MBIII adapter with several Canon lenses, but I also wish MB had a sincere competitor. This is the only expensive adaptor which I was forced to buy to ensure my Canon EF lenses are working well - but $300 is totally overpriced for it. I suspect MB makes a high profit on each sold piece.

Apr 13, 2015 at 09:29 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Metabones EF Nex adapter glitches

So, bumping this thread, since this happens fairly easily with my MB IV and EF 70-200/4L (not really an issue with my 100/2). Twist it clockwise (while shooting), and I'll often lose communication. A quick light twist back counterclockwise fixes it, but with the zoom, it happens more often since you naturally put some rotational torque on the lens when zooming. Is there any fix/trick?

Jan 13, 2016 at 01:58 PM
Big Cheese
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Metabones EF Nex adapter glitches

I wonder how long it will be before fotodiox and commilite just download the metabones' firmware and put it into the chips in their adapters - not that it would necessarily be exactly legal.

Jan 14, 2016 at 11:49 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.