FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Kakabeka Falls (BW)

Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Kakabeka Falls (BW)

This photo was taken in 2013 while on vacation in Ontario. A year prior to this vacation I had researched and studied Kakabeka Falls (through photos online) to get a sense of the place and what kind of photo ideas I could come up with. The falls are quite spectacular and huge! There is one major negative, for me, and that is the walkways and stairs all around the area. While they provide a safe way to view the falls they also get in the way for photo nuts like myself. I had considered shooting wide and cloning people and stairs out but it was not really an option. It would require so much time editing and I really dislike spending a lot of time processing images. So I decided I would use my 70-200 lens with ND filters and focus on more intimate details of the falls. Late afternoon light was not ideal for wide photos of the falls anyway so it was a wise choice. Of all the falls and all the places I photographed during those 9 days this falls was the one I looked forward to most and spent time preconceiving photo ideas. I spend over 2 hours just focusing on the water cascading over many layers of rock and came back with many that I am happy with. I didn't even take any "tourist" photos. I posted several photos in 2013 but there are still a few that I have not shared before. Here is one of them.

Click photo to view on black or click here for a larger view

Thanks for looking!

Apr 11, 2015 at 10:38 PM
tfoltz
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Kakabeka Falls (BW)

This works really well in B&W, very nice.

-Tim

Apr 12, 2015 at 01:53 AM
S Barth
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Kakabeka Falls (BW)

I like! The tones, textures and energy are very captivating. The amount of detail in the water seems optimum. Thanks!

-Steve

Apr 12, 2015 at 09:10 AM
Kevin B

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Kakabeka Falls (BW)

The composition, light and exposure make for a really interesting image. To me, it has a feel of abstract but in a way I like much more than most abstracts. Well done.

Apr 12, 2015 at 07:49 PM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Kakabeka Falls (BW)

Wonderfully executed Scott!

grtz,
Helen

Apr 13, 2015 at 11:05 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Kakabeka Falls (BW)

Thank you very much Tim, Steve, Kevin and Helen!

Apr 13, 2015 at 07:43 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Kakabeka Falls (BW)

Really interesting Scott

Apr 13, 2015 at 08:06 PM
cams884
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Kakabeka Falls (BW)

A really interesting take on some falls. The level of motion captured, processing and exposure are all perfect in my eyes.

Apr 13, 2015 at 08:13 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Kakabeka Falls (BW)

That is very nice.

Apr 13, 2015 at 09:22 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Kakabeka Falls (BW)

Very nice shot Scott! Very dynamic with great contrast and visual interest!

Apr 13, 2015 at 10:27 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Kakabeka Falls (BW)

Thanks you very much Rob, Cam, Tim and Corey!

Apr 14, 2015 at 11:23 AM
ChrisKayler
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Kakabeka Falls (BW)

Of course you would make the most of this "harsh" light Scott! Really like the way the light creates a strong diagonal that otherwise would not be as easily perceived if the light was flat. I can't help but feel that some of the highlights are a bit hot even for my tastes (and I like em hot), but I'd have to see them toned down to know if I truly preferred it this way or that way. My favorite part of the image is the little lines of shadow along the bottom right.

Apr 14, 2015 at 08:35 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Kakabeka Falls (BW)

ChrisKayler wrote:
Of course you would make the most of this "harsh" light Scott! Really like the way the light creates a strong diagonal that otherwise would not be as easily perceived if the light was flat. I can't help but feel that some of the highlights are a bit hot even for my tastes (and I like em hot), but I'd have to see them toned down to know if I truly preferred it this way or that way. My favorite part of the image is the little lines of shadow along the bottom right.

Thank you very much Chris. Before I even saved the final edit on this image I had tried darker highlights and spend much time on fine tuning all the tones and in the end this brighter version had the most appeal to me. I do appreciate your thoughts but already know I wont like the highlights any darker.

Apr 15, 2015 at 05:14 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Kakabeka Falls (BW)

Works well in BW Stott. Beautiful capture.
Fred

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:35 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Kakabeka Falls (BW)

Fred Miranda wrote:
Works well in BW Stott. Beautiful capture.
Fred

Thank you very much Fred. : thumb:

Apr 17, 2015 at 01:07 PM
DonH
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Kakabeka Falls (BW)

I really like this one, Scott. It has a beautiful flow to it and an excellent range of light.

FWIW, it got my vote.

Don

Apr 17, 2015 at 05:45 PM
rxgolf
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Kakabeka Falls (BW)

Scott, I think this is great. The whole thing is out of the ordinary in a great way!
Thanks for sharing,
Greg

Apr 17, 2015 at 10:32 PM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Kakabeka Falls (BW)

I'm liking this a lot Scott!

Apr 18, 2015 at 10:23 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.