New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · photo storage for a long trip

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · photo storage for a long trip

My upcoming trip to Africa will last for 3 weeks+ going through 2 countries. I do have a lot of SDs ans CFs, but I don't want to take my lap with me. Well, it will be mostly wildlife and it will take lot of storage. And I don't want to be snhort of memory.
Years ago, when memory was still very expensive, I used to have an external HD, that can transfer the files from SD and CF without a computer in between. So no need for a laptop. in the last many years,, I have no more need for it and it disappeared . Now I have to look for another one. I wonder if they are still making it? where would I find it? waht is the name?

Apr 10, 2015 at 09:22 PM
Aloicious
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · photo storage for a long trip

something like this?

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6201873948/western-digital-launches-the-my-passport-wireless-hard-drive-with-built-in-sd-card-reader

I've never used one but it looks like thats similar to what you're after, although it only takes SD, and not CF, honestly nowadays I think it'd be hard to find something like that which will take both SD and CF as CF seems to be getting slowly phased out.

looks like they're available in several places.

http://www.adorama.com/WDBDAF0020B.html?gclid=CLT2gJil7cQCFU9ffgodUbkAzA

Apr 10, 2015 at 10:18 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · photo storage for a long trip

Aloicious wrote:
something like this?

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6201873948/western-digital-launches-the-my-passport-wireless-hard-drive-with-built-in-sd-card-reader

I've never used one but it looks like thats similar to what you're after, although it only takes SD, and not CF, honestly nowadays I think it'd be hard to find something like that which will take both SD and CF as CF seems to be getting slowly phased out.

looks like they're available in several places.

http://www.adorama.com/WDBDAF0020B.html?gclid=CLT2gJil7cQCFU9ffgodUbkAzA

first I thought this is it. But then, I find out it need a computer to work. It needs no battery, has no battery, Meaning it draws power from the lap to work. Well, I will by some more SDs

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:24 PM
Aloicious
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · photo storage for a long trip

ah yeah, keep looking around I bet there's something that will work out there.

Apr 11, 2015 at 01:26 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · photo storage for a long trip

nugeny wrote:
first I thought this is it. But then, I find out it need a computer to work. It needs no battery, has no battery, Meaning it draws power from the lap to work. Well, I will by some more SDs

I think your wrong about the WD passport . its a wireless device so MUST have a battery . I'm pretty sure Ive seen it reviewed showing how it can import data(images) from an SD card .

Apr 11, 2015 at 04:05 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · photo storage for a long trip

Just had a look at some of the comments about the WD and it seems it doesn't support RAW which would be a total non starter for most photographers .

there is still the Hyperdrive Colorspace
http://www.hypershop.com/HyperDrive/UDMA-2/

will do pretty much what you want .

personally for what they cost unless you were totally power restricted Id pick up one of those small windows devices and a couple of external (pref SSD ) drives , as they would still have some use after the trip . but the colorspace is a smaller / lighter thing to pack

Apr 11, 2015 at 04:14 AM
misterphil
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · photo storage for a long trip

nugeny wrote:
My upcoming trip to Africa will last for 3 weeks+ going through 2 countries. I do have a lot of SDs ans CFs, but I don't want to take my lap with me. Well, it will be mostly wildlife and it will take lot of storage. And I don't want to be snhort of memory.
Years ago, when memory was still very expensive, I used to have an external HD, that can transfer the files from SD and CF without a computer in between. So no need for a laptop. in the last many years,, I have no more need for
...Show more

Hi,
there is a device called a Digital Foci Photo Safe II
Here for instance - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1077915-REG/digital_foci_p31_500_photo_safe_ii_on.html

Apr 11, 2015 at 04:17 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · photo storage for a long trip

The two best options are still basically the same, either the Hyperdrive or Nexto. The Nexto 2901 and the older 2730 copy very rapidly (>83MB/sec.) from good CF cards to a good HDD or an SSD, but are otherwise relatively barebones units. The Hyperdrive UDMA (and v.2) have more features, including a large, low-res display. However, copy speeds are quite slow and battery life is also lower.

Having used both in the field under more difficult conditions than a typical safari, I will be taking two Nextos the next time I go to Africa. It's much easier and faster to review the images in camera (and on a far, far better Canon or Nikon display) than on the Hyperdrive. The 2.5x faster speed makes a big difference when downloading large number of files. The Nexto is also noticeably smaller and lighter in weight.

EBH

Apr 11, 2015 at 04:18 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · photo storage for a long trip

For a 3+ week trip dedicated to photography, I'd probably pick up the 1TB Nexto 2901 recommended by EBH.

In the mean time, for personal vacation with family, I use a Lexar USB 3.0 card reader to transfer files to my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 mobile phone, and then I transfer them from the phone to a 1TB Transcend StoreJet 25H3P 1TB USB 3.0 ruggedized 2.5" micro drive.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1318332/0#12578773

I also take enough cards that I don't have to erase any files from original media.

Apr 11, 2015 at 08:50 AM
Ghostinz
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · photo storage for a long trip

jcolwell wrote:
For a 3+ week trip dedicated to photography, I'd probably pick up the 1TB Nexto 2901 recommended by EBH.

In the mean time, for personal vacation with family, I use a Lexar USB 3.0 card reader to transfer files to my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 mobile phone, and then I transfer them from the phone to a 1TB Transcend StoreJet 25H3P 1TB USB 3.0 ruggedized 2.5" micro drive.

I also take enough cards that I don't have to erase any files from original media.

I concur with that last sentence for sure! I am taking a two week trip to Europe next month. I have about 12 of the 16 GB memory cards. Once one is filled, it gets copied to my small Yoga laptop with its 500 GB drive. then put in the bag and not erased until its copied back home. SD card is so cheap nowadays, it makes no sense not to have a bunch of cards.

Apr 11, 2015 at 09:36 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · photo storage for a long trip

jcolwell wrote:

I buy the 500GB Nextos and replace the drive with a 2TB Seagate/Samsung M9T for capacity or 1TB SSD for ruggedness. Opening the case voids the warranty, so some people might think twice.

EBH

Apr 11, 2015 at 01:11 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · photo storage for a long trip

EB-1 wrote:
...Opening the case voids the warranty, so some people might think twice.

Not for renegades like us.

Last time we were in a thread like this, B&H listed a 'caddy' version, with everything but the drive. Should have bought one then.

Apr 11, 2015 at 08:17 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · photo storage for a long trip

jcolwell wrote:
Not for renegades like us.

Last time we were in a thread like this, B&H listed a 'caddy' version, with everything but the drive. Should have bought one then.

The Hyperdrives have always been available as an empty shell, but the last Nexto to be sold empty in the US was the ND2700 (aka Extreme).

EBH

Apr 11, 2015 at 08:31 PM
skipchang

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · photo storage for a long trip

All,

I have the WD My Passport Wireless (1TB). It does transfer all the contents of the SD card (both JPEG and RAW) when you insert the card into the drive. It does take some time but it works. You need the computer to initially setup the drive. Once you have it setup, you don't need the computer. It has built in battery and for the most part, it works well as a backup device. You can charge the drive using standard USB charger.

I purchase this drive for the sole purpose of having ability to create a backup of my pictures while I'm out on the field. For that purpose, it works well.

Enjoy your trip.
Skip

May 09, 2015 at 12:56 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · photo storage for a long trip

I'm thinking about one of those for a family member, or else resuscitate an old ND2700. Do you have any data on the transfer rate for raw files? How many GB can you transfer on one charge?

EBH

May 09, 2015 at 01:07 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · photo storage for a long trip

I have been to Africa a few times and here's my suggestions.

I bought a Sanho Album empty shell and stuck a 500 GB drive in it. It can transfer CF and SD cards directly without a computer. They don't make the Album any longer but the Hyperdrive is a good option. Logistically, it is easy to download files at the end of each day while you clean your gear. I would suggest having enough cards as the primary back up and use the portable drive as the secondary storage. If either fails, you haven't lost any images. I have changed cameras since my last trip and would most likely increase the drive to a 1-2 TB due to the larger Raw file size.

If you want any other tips for shooting on safari, I'd be happy to help.

May 09, 2015 at 04:45 PM
garydavidjones
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · photo storage for a long trip

Have Hyperdrive with 500 gb of memory. has worked well handling all photos for trips as long as five weeks across 10 countries.

May 09, 2015 at 05:09 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · photo storage for a long trip

It really depends on how long you want to wait for the downloads from CF cards. I've relegated my relatively sluggish Hyperdrive to the third string (luggage). They really should update the download speeds and also replace the USB 2.0 port with USB 3.0.

EBH

May 09, 2015 at 08:01 PM
DIS Ottawa
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · photo storage for a long trip

I used the WD My Passport Wireless 2TB on a recent 6 week trip to SE Asia and China and it backed up both jpeg and RAW files flawlessly directly from the SD card. It has an internal battery, it creates a wi-fi network so you can review the jpegs (not RAWs) with a tablet or phone, email them, etc and you plug it into the wall with the supplied cable to recharge it.

Highly recommended.

May 10, 2015 at 06:29 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · photo storage for a long trip

DIS Ottawa wrote:
I used the WD My Passport Wireless 2TB on a recent 6 week trip to SE Asia and China and it backed up both jpeg and RAW files flawlessly directly from the SD card. It has an internal battery, it creates a wi-fi network so you can review the jpegs (not RAWs) with a tablet or phone, email them, etc and you plug it into the wall with the supplied cable to recharge it.

Highly recommended.

That may be but how do you get the files off a CF card into this device? Will the USB post accept a CF card reader?

May 11, 2015 at 02:45 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.