FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Snow in Yosemite Valley

Timmeh
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Snow in Yosemite Valley

It's my Spring Break this week, and time for my major Spring photography trip. We were planning on going to Death Valley, but the poorly timed full moon for astro, and a promising forecast in Yosemite made us change our minds. I'm probably not alone in waiting for snow to appear in the Valley, so when it started snowing in earnest on Tuesday I was elated. We were driving around looking for dogwoods, redbud, green grass, or really anything interesting. On Wednesday morning I planned on sunrise at Three Brothers since the Spring sun hits all three of them at sunrise in conjunction with a fresh coat of snow. I've had one of these shots in mind for three years now, so this feels like one of the most productive Yosemite trips I've had. More photos to come

For those of you interested in conditions, the water levels are quite grim for spring, and the dogwoods have bloomed quite early. The western Valley dogwoods around Pohono have started, and there are some trees in full bloom. Others haven't quite started yet. Dogwoods over by Curry Village have almost all bloomed and were looking quite nice when we left on Wednesday.

C&C welcome and appreciated!
Tim

#1 Fresh Coat on Stoneman Meadow

#2 Three Brothers

#3 First Light on the Brothers

#4 Winter Cathedral

#5 Layers Against Granite

Apr 10, 2015 at 02:57 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Snow in Yosemite Valley

Tim, great timing and fine imaging. You nicely captured some different moods of the place. After waiting nearly all winter for this event, I was at another park this week. Oh, well.

Apr 10, 2015 at 03:09 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Snow in Yosemite Valley

Wow they are all excellent.
#1 might look nice with a little pano crop off the top maybe.
I won't choose a favorite.
these are great.

David

Apr 10, 2015 at 03:34 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Snow in Yosemite Valley

Hey Tim,

Man... you went! I saw the weather and would have gone but I had other commitments. I am glad to see the snow did fall though and you got some really cool shots here. #3 and 4 are my favorites of the bunch.

Did you not get any color at sunrise? I saw a shot from Michael Frye from sunrise at Tunnel View and he had some color in the clouds in his.

Jim

Apr 10, 2015 at 03:35 PM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Snow in Yosemite Valley

Tim,

Good that you caught the snow. Seems like this might really be the last one we'll get. It's good made a productive trip. The images are great. I'll probably head up next week to get the dogwoods. I've given up on snow

Jason

Apr 10, 2015 at 03:49 PM
chasphoto2015
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Snow in Yosemite Valley

LOVE Yosemite and your photos display the beauty very well !

Apr 10, 2015 at 04:34 PM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Snow in Yosemite Valley

These are really nice.
I like # 3 best

Apr 10, 2015 at 05:28 PM
IShootThings
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Snow in Yosemite Valley

These are all good but that first light on the three brothers is a wall hanger. Great shot.

Two years in a row, I had some lucky timing in Yosemite where we arrived and that first night had 1 to 2 feet (I think one year it was 4, we were snowed in) of snow overnight and sun the next day. The last couple of years we haven't been so lucky. There's nothing in the world like a snowy Yosemite Valley.

Apr 10, 2015 at 09:51 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Snow in Yosemite Valley

all great, but 3rd one is really great.

Apr 10, 2015 at 10:04 PM
DejanS
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Snow in Yosemite Valley

It's very obvious you have vision, and I like the eye. I really dig the photos, but #3 jumps out as a favorite

Apr 11, 2015 at 08:24 AM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Snow in Yosemite Valley

One of those rare opportunities and you made the most out of it. Excellent set with 3 and 5 being my favorites.
Harsha

Apr 11, 2015 at 01:54 PM
Timmeh
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Snow in Yosemite Valley

Thanks for the comments Jeffrey, David, Jim, Jason, Charles, Jonathan, IShootThings, Kevin, Dejan, and Harsha.

JimFox wrote:
Hey Tim,

Man... you went! I saw the weather and would have gone but I had other commitments. I am glad to see the snow did fall though and you got some really cool shots here. #3 and 4 are my favorites of the bunch.

Did you not get any color at sunrise? I saw a shot from Michael Frye from sunrise at Tunnel View and he had some color in the clouds in his.

Jim

---------------------------------------------

Hey Jim,

There was some color at sunrise, but the reds and bright oranges didn't make it that far north. The most color I got was the peachy color in #2. My wife was considering Tunnel View after she dropped me off at Three Brothers, but decided on Cathedral Beach instead.

roguecoolman wrote:
Tim,

Good that you caught the snow. Seems like this might really be the last one we'll get. It's good made a productive trip. The images are great. I'll probably head up next week to get the dogwoods. I've given up on snow

Jason

Hey Jason,

Hopefully after the rain and snow this week, the meadows should turn a bit greener, and the water flow should increase. Next week seems just right for dogwoods on the west end of the valley. Here's hoping next winter will bring some snow!

Tim

Apr 11, 2015 at 05:05 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Snow in Yosemite Valley

That #5 is something special in my opinion. Very nice.

Apr 11, 2015 at 05:21 PM
S Barth
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Snow in Yosemite Valley

Very nice cohesive set. They have a palpable winter feel to them. Thanks.

-Steve

Apr 11, 2015 at 08:42 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.