Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Looking for an MFT body with a big beefy grip.

wsalopek
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for an MFT body with a big beefy grip.

I have a D600 and a few D lenses, plus I like to dabble in older vintage lenses, and I'd like to use them on an MFT body.

I have a GX-7 now, and while the grip is fine when MFT lenses are mounted, it's not great when heavier lenses are mounted, and, even though I have searched high and low, I can't find an aftermarket grip for the GX-7.

I have held/tried a few different MFT bodies, with and without accessory grips, and nothing has given me the beef I am looking for. I have used an XE-1 with an iShoot grip, and a Nex-6 with it's own grip, and those were decent, but still not up to D600 standards, and I'd rather stick with MFT.

Ideas?

Thanks...

--

Bill

Apr 10, 2015 at 10:28 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for an MFT body with a big beefy grip.

GH4 looks like what you want. Big beefy grip describes it perfectly. Really comfortable to hold. If you want IBiS the E-M1 has a nice contoured grip, though it's not a beefy camera. Still very comfortable to hold and shoot. The GH4 will be better for really big hands though.

Apr 10, 2015 at 10:34 AM
wsalopek
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for an MFT body with a big beefy grip.

Jman13 wrote:
GH4 looks like what you want.

JMan...

Do you know how the GH4 grip compares to the GH3 and GH2? Is it the same?

Thanks...

--

Bill

Apr 10, 2015 at 10:44 AM
wsalopek
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for an MFT body with a big beefy grip.

OK...the GH2 grip is much smaller:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#166,381,525,ha,f

That said, sometimes (forgive me), the size is not 100% related to the feel....it's pretty easy to see which grip is bigger on Camerasize.com, but that doesn't always translate to feel and (forgive me again) overall satisfaction with the grip, hence, I'd love to hear personal opinions...

Apr 10, 2015 at 10:51 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for an MFT body with a big beefy grip.

The Gh4 grip is the same as the one on the Gh3 (to my knowledge. I didn't review the GH4, but I did review the 3. It felt great in the hand. Here's my review. Ergonomics are discussed on the first page:

http://admiringlight.com/blog/review-panasonic-lumix-dmc-gh3/

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:10 AM
cputeq
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for an MFT body with a big beefy grip.

Bill,

I shoot with the Em5 and add-on grip, and while it's not super-beefy, I think it's fine. I live pretty close to you (Albuquerque), so if you've never used a gripped EM5, we could meet somewhere and I could let you have a spin

- Jeremy

Apr 10, 2015 at 02:21 PM
wsalopek
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for an MFT body with a big beefy grip.

Jeremy,

Thanks....that's a generous offer, I will keep it in mind.

--

Bill

Apr 10, 2015 at 03:47 PM
CalW
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking for an MFT body with a big beefy grip.

OK, forgive me. "Feel" is a very personal thing so your mileage may vary. I have purchased a Really Right Stuff grip, new or used, for many of the cameras I have owned in the last ten years, including Canon 20D, G10, 1D2, and 1Ds2, Olympus OM-D E-M5 and Sony RX1. Regardless of size, they have all felt pretty much the same to me with those grips.

Apr 11, 2015 at 01:13 PM
bjornthun
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking for an MFT body with a big beefy grip.

The Olympus OM-D E-M1 with the add-on HLD-7 battery holder should give a nice grip. That combo even works fine with the older, bigger 43 lenses from Olympus.

Apr 11, 2015 at 01:27 PM
wsalopek
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking for an MFT body with a big beefy grip.

Yeah the E-M1 looks like a respectable grip...though I have never held one.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#381,482,ha,t

As a side note, I had an E-M10, and bought the extra Olympus "landscape" grip, but even with that, I found the grip lacking.

Apr 11, 2015 at 01:37 PM
wsalopek
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Looking for an MFT body with a big beefy grip.

CalW wrote:
OK, forgive me. "Feel" is a very personal thing so your mileage may vary. I have purchased a Really Right Stuff grip, new or used, for many of the cameras I have owned in the last ten years, including Canon 20D, G10, 1D2, and 1Ds2, Olympus OM-D E-M5 and Sony RX1. Regardless of size, they have all felt pretty much the same to me with those grips.

Good advice. I had clones (iShoot) on an XT-1 and an XE-1...both felt great in the hand...though even at that, I'd say they could be beefier. (I have medium size hands.)

I wish someone made one for the GX-7.

Apr 11, 2015 at 01:40 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Looking for an MFT body with a big beefy grip.

Wouldn't the easiest answer to this question be....just visit a local camera shop, or rent? Last time I was in Santa Fe (~ 3 years ago)there was a decent, but overpriced, store called the "camera shop" or something like that. Seems like the most sensible way to answer a purely subjective question, if the store is still there. Hopefully they would have some options to handle. Otherwise it is dead simple to rent from lensrentals.com.

Apr 11, 2015 at 04:03 PM
wsalopek
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Looking for an MFT body with a big beefy grip.

Galen,

Yes, it's still there.

I am hoping someone might chime in with an aftermarket grip find on the internet somewhere...local camera store can't help with that.

But yes, point taken.

Thanks...

--

Bill

Apr 11, 2015 at 05:32 PM
J.D.
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Looking for an MFT body with a big beefy grip.

bjornthun wrote:
The Olympus OM-D E-M1 with the add-on HLD-7 battery holder should give a nice grip. That combo even works fine with the older, bigger 43 lenses from Olympus.

I have huge hands and the E-M1 is the only M.43 I find comfortable to use.

Apr 11, 2015 at 05:55 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Looking for an MFT body with a big beefy grip.

FWIW - I use the OMD EM1 with a 40-150/2.8, 300/4 Nikkor and a Canon 400/5.6 routinely. The nice grip on this camera makes a long lenses easy to handle, though I must admit the 400mm is getting a little long for the camera size.

Apr 11, 2015 at 08:40 PM
J.D.
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Looking for an MFT body with a big beefy grip.

I should have added that I only use the E-M1 with a battery grip. Without it there's simply not enough real estate to hold onto.

I also own Canon EOS bodies, all with grips and for all the effort Canon expended on their ergonomics and great as they are, the Olympus eats them in the handling stakes.

I rate the E-M1 with a grip as the best handling camera I've ever used in any format.

Apr 11, 2015 at 10:33 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.