New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · NX1 Review up on DPReview

curious80
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · NX1 Review up on DPReview

They seem to praise it quite a lot --- they find the AF tracking in good light to be not only on par with 7DII but even superior in some modes, DR and high-ISO on par with Sony, Great EVF without any lag, etc:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/samsung-nx1

Its a shame though that the AF doesn't do quite as well in low light. Maybe one of the firmware updates could fix that.

Apr 09, 2015 at 02:38 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · NX1 Review up on DPReview

Great camera but difficult to be a commercial success (at least in the still photography market, I dont know about video)

People who are sensitive to AF/FPS performance are usually sensitive to long lens selection as well, and people who are sensitive to IQ/MP count will be hard to be talked out of full frame these days.

Also size wise it's not even smaller than a DSLR. And it's certainly not cheaper.

Apr 09, 2015 at 08:28 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · NX1 Review up on DPReview

Looks like an amazing camera that should push the mirrorless competitors either out the door or to take up their game significantly.

15 fps! This camera has a ton of computational power behind it. You can shoot an entire roll of "film" in 2 and a half seconds!

Apr 09, 2015 at 08:44 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · NX1 Review up on DPReview

Spyro P. wrote:
Great camera but difficult to be a commercial success (at least in the still photography market, I dont know about video)

People who are sensitive to AF/FPS performance are usually sensitive to long lens selection as well, and people who are sensitive to IQ/MP count will be hard to be talked out of full frame these days.

Also size wise it's not even smaller than a DSLR. And it's certainly not cheaper.

Its certainly not a form factor that I am very interested in. But Samsung has always kept their top bodies in the DSLR form factor. And they are also releasing big fast lenses, so in that context it makes sense to have a large body as well to go with those larger lenses. In terms of price it is on par with high-end mirrorless bodies like X-T1, E-M1, GH4. Personally though my interest is in NX500 which apparently has most of the qualities of NX1 in a much smaller body.

Apr 09, 2015 at 09:18 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · NX1 Review up on DPReview

Too bad that right now it looks like one has to buy a kit lens with the NX500. I did a quick look and that was all that I came up with.

Apr 09, 2015 at 09:42 PM
davewolfs
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · NX1 Review up on DPReview

Someone please remind me why I would buy this over a D750?

Apr 09, 2015 at 10:02 PM
Mar73
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · NX1 Review up on DPReview

If Samsung can get sigma to add its mount to the line up things could get interesting in the crop and m43 market.

Apr 09, 2015 at 10:04 PM
Mar73
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · NX1 Review up on DPReview

davewolfs wrote:

Wildlife shooters.... 15fps with good AF

The price point is a bit high though. I think I would still rather have a 7dii or used 1div

Apr 09, 2015 at 10:06 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · NX1 Review up on DPReview

Mar73 wrote:
Wildlife shooters.... 15fps with good AF

The price point is a bit high though. I think I would still rather have a 7dii or used 1div

Samsung still does not have the lenses for wildlife...maybe zoo life.

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:07 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · NX1 Review up on DPReview

galenapass wrote:
Samsung still does not have the lenses for wildlife...maybe zoo life.

Heh heh....that's pretty funny.

Samsung seems enormously committed to cameras so I suspect lenses are in the pipeline. Many of them.

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:15 AM
RJJR
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · NX1 Review up on DPReview

Mar73 wrote:
If Samsung can get sigma to add its mount to the line up things could get interesting in the crop and m43 market.

I'd like to see how the Sigma 60/2.8 DN A and Tamron 150-600 fare in the NX1 mount.

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:41 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · NX1 Review up on DPReview

samsung seems to make some really nice lenses indeed
it's a question of building up their range, hopefully they won't get distracted by their fridges and microwaves

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:54 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · NX1 Review up on DPReview

A friend of mine had a review copy of the NX1 so I had a look at it as well, here is the blog post: http://phillipreeve.net/blog/samsung-nx1-impressions-thoughts-sony-a7-user/

I can't really make sense of this camera. Sure there are many features which can impress like a very solid body, impressive tracking AF, a very good (but not outstanding) sensor and 4k video.

But who should want to buy it? People who would have bought a 7dII oder D7200 other wise? I think in those scenarios were it is very good it also has major flaws: Tracking AF surely is impressive but it is very hard to track something which isn't 100% predictable because you don't have a live view image when shooting 15 fps, you see the last image so you are about 1/10 of a second behind the action. This might work for some scenarios but it won't work for many others. I would surely trade a few fps for this. And both cameras have much better AF in lower light.

And in the 3 or 4 hours I was shooting it the AF failed me a couple of times when it was darker. For this image for example it had to refocus 4 times until the camera found something to focus on:

Here is a youtube Video of another AF fail:

These might be unlucky accidents not representative of the general AF performance in such scenarios but they made me distrust the camera.

Another group of potential buyers might be video guys, I have no idea about how it stacks up here, I only see that it does 4k and seems to be capable of a full sensor readout.

I still think it can show us were mirrorless cameras are headed but I don't think we are fully there yet, if I needed a camera for reportage work I would still buy a DSLR today.

Apr 10, 2015 at 01:01 AM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · NX1 Review up on DPReview

galenapass wrote:
Too bad that right now it looks like one has to buy a kit lens with the NX500. I did a quick look and that was all that I came up with.

I just got a body only on on the B&S board here. That person bought the kit, kept the 16-50PZ (which is excellent, without peer for its size/performance/cost) and sold everything else. It even included the box, all accessories, and a copy of the receipt! Look around and you might find something similar.

If you don't have a 16-50PZ zoom, I highly recommend it for the NX500. It's a rare value IMHO. I've just had a few minutes to take some pics in the light today with my 16-50PZ on the NX500. I am impressed by the speedy operation and excellent IQ Per pixel IQ is very close to what I get (in the center) on my A7r with the best prime focal length lenses. The corners of the frame are a real joy, and better than my A7r. No smearing, no stopping down to get decent sharpness, no color shifts. I know my 16-50S will be even better

Edited on Apr 10, 2015 at 01:49 AM · View previous versions

Apr 10, 2015 at 01:29 AM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · NX1 Review up on DPReview

davewolfs wrote:

Scratching my head on that. Why would you compare a $1300 APS-C camera against a $2300 FF camera instead of comparing it to other APS-C cameras like D7200, 7DII, X-T1 etc?

Apr 10, 2015 at 01:30 AM
pdmphoto
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · NX1 Review up on DPReview

The price of the NX1 had dropped to $1299 at BH:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=nx1+kit&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

There is an US seller on ebay who was selling US Model NX1 and 16-50PZ for $1299. He has been selling out quickly, but listing new ones as he gets them.

Apr 10, 2015 at 01:46 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.