Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Wildlife with Canon 200mm F/2L Question

ogerisg321
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wildlife with Canon 200mm F/2L Question

Greetings,

I'm usually in the people and wedding photography forums, but I do keep a close eye in this thread because wildlife photography is something I am interested in. So I just ordered the 200mm F/2L and since I'm poor and can't afford another super-tele, which extender works best with this lens for wildlife? I've heard great things about both the x1.4 and x2 III and just want some real first hand experience from any members on here.

Sample pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks
-Gerome

Apr 08, 2015 at 06:17 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wildlife with Canon 200mm F/2L Question

Knowing how well both extenders work on my newer super telephotos (600II and 300II) I would say that since you are starting at such a wide aperture that both will work very well. I use the 2xIII on my 300 f/2.8IS II a lot and it still has speedy AF and really good IQ. What camera are you using with it. I find 400mm the bare minimum for most wildlife and birds so I would maybe just go for the 2xIII if you don't want to get both. That gives you a nice light gathering 400 f/4 lens and I suspect it will work as well or even better than my 600 f/5.6 that I get to.

Maybe someone who has tried that combo will chime in to help a little more.

Apr 08, 2015 at 06:21 PM
ogerisg321
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wildlife with Canon 200mm F/2L Question

arbitrage wrote:
Knowing how well both extenders work on my newer super telephotos (600II and 300II) I would say that since you are starting at such a wide aperture that both will work very well. I use the 2xIII on my 300 f/2.8IS II a lot and it still has speedy AF and really good IQ. What camera are you using with it. I find 400mm the bare minimum for most wildlife and birds so I would maybe just go for the 2xIII if you don't want to get both. That gives you a nice light gathering 400 f/4 lens and I
...Show more

I've heard that the 200 2XIII combo is great, but haven't seen pictures from it. I will be using it with a 5DMIII.

Apr 08, 2015 at 10:44 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.