FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · How many speech images?

rondphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How many speech images?

Lately I've been giving less and less images of people giving speeches. Am I the only one in this camp? I think 5-6 solid images are plenty. It's not like a first dance where there's the opportunity for some amazing candid moments to happen. I'm finding that more and more speech givers are looking down at their iPads or iPhones and reading their speech and the images I'm getting are really lack luster.

How many speech images are you delivering?

Apr 08, 2015 at 03:15 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How many speech images?

rondphoto wrote:
It's not like a first dance where there's the opportunity for some amazing candid moments to happen.

Really? I think it is a great time to get these sorts of shots especially if you can manage a shot with the speaker and a great b&g reaction. I don't deliver many shots of the person speaking though since, as you say, usually not that interesting a shot.

I find the first dance is often too stressful making sure to nail THE shot before they call everyone else onto the floor to get many other reaction shots.

Apr 08, 2015 at 03:24 PM
StevenMI
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How many speech images?

It's definitely not easy to deliver more than 5-6 solid images from your standard speech but I really try to use that time to get creative and come up with different angles and perspectives. Otherwise you're just sitting there through the same 5 minute speech you've probably heard over and over again. I try to move around as discreetly as possible and get behind the toaster...or behind the bride and groom..or show the guests reactions..or come up with a unique composition.

So I definitely deliver more than 5-6 but only because i'm constantly trying to find a better way to show the scene.

Apr 08, 2015 at 03:28 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How many speech images?

I think this really depends hugely on the people, the wedding, and just what it's all about. There isn't one single approach that is going to please every client (and if there was, they would be pretty boring IMO).

How about those weddings where there is no first dance? Just because some people aren't so into it.

The last wedding I did there were something like 6 speeches and they were genuinely beautiful, honest, full of real humour and everything I love about weddings. The third speech involved a pre-recording of her mum, who was present, but has difficulty speaking/breathing due to cerebral palsy. She had discharged herself out of hospital to be there, against the drs wishes.

She died a week later.

Pretty special speech.

Apr 08, 2015 at 03:47 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How many speech images?

I shoot a few of each person speaking and a few of the B&G's reaction. It's also a good opportunity to get candid shots of the parents and other important people since the photog is the last person they're paying attention to.

Overall I keep it pretty basic. Usually a 70-200 if I have the room.

Apr 08, 2015 at 03:57 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How many speech images?

I do a few of each speaker (various focal lengths and comps), a half dozen of best moments of the bride and groom, and a half dozen best moments of audience reactions. (various focal lengths and comps) That usually takes care of it. I probably shoot double that as I don't know what's coming minute by minute, but that's generally what I deliver.

Apr 08, 2015 at 03:59 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How many speech images?

I generally keep trying to work different angles and scenes as long as the speech goes (guests, B&G, etc), which is probably pretty normal I would imagine. What gets me, though, is ridiculously short or unprepared speeches.

Apr 08, 2015 at 04:22 PM
DannyBostwick
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How many speech images?

I think it totally depends on the speech, some are really good & animated and I'll shoot the heck out of them. Some are, "Bob & Mary are great together, ughh, the end", in which case, not so much. Also, just because your not stoked on them, doesn't mean the couple won't be stoked on them.

Apr 08, 2015 at 04:30 PM
MattGruber
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How many speech images?

I make sure I have a few of whoever is giving the speech, and then I concentrate on the B&G. Once I have a couple really good shots of them, then I focus on the guests, but still keep my eyes peeled for the B&G.

Apr 08, 2015 at 05:31 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How many speech images?

who cares.
It is up to your brand and how you shoot.
hell you could deliver one killer image and drop the mic.
I think it is quality over quantity just like anything else

Apr 09, 2015 at 12:11 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How many speech images?

hardlyboring wrote:

I think it is quality over quantity just like anything else

And then get the inevitable question: "can we see the rest of the shots you took?"

Apr 09, 2015 at 04:40 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How many speech images?

ZachOly wrote:
And then get the inevitable question: "can we see the rest of the shots you took?"

Inevitable only if you're poop at qualifying clients and setting expectations.

Apr 09, 2015 at 05:25 AM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How many speech images?

I haven't had a client ask for other images in about 5 years because of what I outline for them in meetings as well as emails. They are under the impression that they get everything already, minus stuff that's out of focus or where people are blinking as those pics are "deleted permanently in the initial stages of my editing workflow."

Back to speeches, sure if you have a really great public speaker who can make the couple and guests laugh, cry and laugh again with an amazing speech....yes, you're going to get amazing moments. BUT....let's be honest, most people who speak aren't very good at writing speeches or speaking in public and that's especially true when the DJ/MC says that dreaded phrase, "Alright folks, the bride and groom would like to offer this opportunity for any guests who'd like to say a few words and well wishes for the newly married couple."

It's at that exact moment I facepalm.

Apr 09, 2015 at 09:23 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How many speech images?

If I was the couple and the photog told me they permanently deleted photos after the initial cull I'd find another photographer.

Apr 09, 2015 at 10:01 AM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How many speech images?

DannyBostwick wrote:
Also, just because your not stoked on them, doesn't mean the couple won't be stoked on them.

This is key.

We mustn't let our own desires, or disinterests, interfere with what is best for our clients.

ZachOly wrote:
If I was the couple and the photog told me they permanently deleted photos after the initial cull I'd find another photographer.

I likely would have sussed that sort of person out and already chosen a better client by then

Also, just to reiterate what Doug says - who cares. When ever we have a "how many" discussion it seems to bring all the focus to numerical solutions, rather than what the images are about and who they're for.

Apr 09, 2015 at 10:12 AM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How many speech images?

ZachOly wrote:

After seeing responses like this I'm officially advocating that FM get a "rolling of the eyes" emoticon.

Apr 09, 2015 at 10:25 AM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How many speech images?

ricardovaste wrote:
This is key.

We mustn't let our own desires, or disinterests, interfere with what is best for our clients.

And I think this is where my original question stems from. I want my clients to have enough photos that tell the story of the day, but in a clear and concise manner. Including photos of the speech just to include them, in my opinion isn't conducive to awesome visual storytelling. So I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and be OK with the fact that I may only produce a handful of images from a sub-par speech/reactions.

Apr 09, 2015 at 10:29 AM
Chris Cooke
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · How many speech images?

Unless something crazy or awesome happens its usually 1-2 of each speaker and about 5-10 of the couple. Various expressions and hugs to the speakers, thats about it. I usually have my second shooter get the photos of the speaker and I get the B&G and some of the guests.

Apr 09, 2015 at 11:03 AM
StevenMI
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · How many speech images?

I don't know if I feel that passionately about it..but I tend to agree with ZachOly. Why would you permanently delete photos right after your initial cull? Unless you're literally delivering everything usable then it just seems silly to delete everything immediately. I'm not perfect when it comes to culling..I look at a photo for maybe 1 second before deciding if it's a keeper or not..and I can't guess 100% of the time what a client will like, so if they come back to me in 2 weeks and ask if there was any chance I got a specific picture of X I want to be able to look and see if maybe there was something that didn't mean anything to me but will mean something to the B&G. People appreciate that...I would appreciate that...and storage is so cheap these days it costs me less than $2 a wedding to store the RAWs..and I shoot a LOT..so why not keep them for 6 months or a year?

Apr 10, 2015 at 02:37 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · How many speech images?

I never said I actually delete them. I said it in quotes as that's what I tell clients. Saves a lot of trouble in the long-run.

perception = reality

Apr 10, 2015 at 03:23 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.