New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 24-105/4 IS Question

rhorta
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 24-105/4 IS Question

My "old" 24-105 had developed an IS issue, where at 24mm the image would jump about instead of correcting motion in a fluid way - as it does through the rest of the range and like all my other IS lenses by Canon - and making a coffee grinder sound instead of the more normal purring.

So I sent it to CPS NL and it came back from repair - replacement of AF and diafragma components - but no improvement. Still very jittery at 24mm especially when touching the zoom ring.

Ok, return label and resent.

Today it came back - technic replaced (cryptic...) - and it shows some improvement.
The IS has become less jittery at 24mm and is less sensitive to zoom changes, but at 24mm its IS still jumps about more than any other IS lens I own.

Now before I go apesxxt, I'd like to ask those who have experience with the 24-105L if they have experienced similar issues and if it is actual normal 24-105 behavior - which I cannot believe although I haven't used this lens a lot, especially not on the wide end, I just cannot remember it ever jumped about until I found out a couple of weeks ago and saw it as abnormal behavior.

All help appreciated.

Apr 08, 2015 at 12:22 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 24-105/4 IS Question

As long as I'm trying to handhold the 24-105/4L IS steady on a static subject, the IS is pretty smooth at all focal lengths, and when changing focal length.

Apr 08, 2015 at 12:27 PM
rhorta
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 24-105/4 IS Question

Hi Jim, thanks for your input.
That's exactly what I was expecting - jittery IS or sudden shifts - just isn't normal IS behavior.

The effect is especially annoying when filming, which is how I found out while testing different lens options on my new 70d.

Note that I am not making any movements that push the IS system, it is also limited to the wide end of the zoom range.

Apr 08, 2015 at 01:06 PM
ChewinDC

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 24-105/4 IS Question

I have two 24-105s - one was a new kit lens and the other I bought used way back when. Both still work smoothly throughout the range on all of my Canons (from my XTi up to my 6D, even on my EOS M with the EF-EFM adaptor).

Are you experiencing this only during video filming? Or does it do this for photos too? I'm not a videographer and can't honestly say I've ever used any of my cameras for video so definitely not a video pro.

Two things:

1) What's the serial number / production date of the lens?

2) Maybe you can take a sample video when this occurs both in camera and 3rd person. Someone might notice something and be able to comment further.

Though the coffee grinder sound does warrant concern, IMO.

Apr 08, 2015 at 03:26 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 24-105/4 IS Question

I've shot a number of videos with my 24-105L, and as an example, I've never heard the AF or IS motors through the internal mic or with a hotshoe mic.

Apr 08, 2015 at 05:01 PM
Mike Sowsun
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 24-105/4 IS Question

Normal 24-105 IS can be heard in this video. It is noisy.

Apr 08, 2015 at 06:09 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 24-105/4 IS Question

When I use my 24-105L with my 5D MKII, 6D or 70D, IS is silky smooth and stable. When used with an older EOS film camera--e.g., EOS 1N or EOS 5 (A2E)--it's jittery and has sudden twitches. However, the images are sharp so it appears to be some sort of strange VF artifact. I wouldn't call the IS noisy but it's certainly audible in a quiet room and louder than most of my other IS lenses, save for the 70-200 4L IS. The 70-200 4L IS sounds like a mini coffee grinder.

Apr 08, 2015 at 06:30 PM
flyfishertoo
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 24-105/4 IS Question

rhorta wrote:
My "old" 24-105 had developed an IS issue, where at 24mm the image would jump about instead of correcting motion in a fluid way - as it does through the rest of the range and like all my other IS lenses by Canon - and making a coffee grinder sound instead of the more normal purring.

So I sent it to CPS NL and it came back from repair - replacement of AF and diafragma components - but no improvement. Still very jittery at 24mm especially when touching the zoom ring.

Ok, return label and resent.

Today it came back - technic replaced
...Show more
I posted something similar in the General Gear forum. https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1357631

Apr 08, 2015 at 08:21 PM
erikburd
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 24-105/4 IS Question

Gochugogi wrote:
...The 70-200 4L IS sounds like a mini coffee grinder.

Spot on!

Apr 08, 2015 at 08:49 PM
Phazed
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 24-105/4 IS Question

+1 on the 70-200/F4 but for me its a 'keeper.' Never noticed motor noise out of the 24-105/F4.

Apr 08, 2015 at 09:06 PM
rhorta
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 24-105/4 IS Question

Thanks to all those who've taken some time to answer my questions on a "dull" 24-105 lens, but it does help me form a better picture of the issue.

Noise
I accept AF and IS noise can be heard while filming with a dslr, even my new 16-35/4 can be heard doing its work. That's part of the dslr package and why I have an external audio recorder.

Stabilizing
I also accept that the 24-105 has an earlier generation IS system and sometimes you will see the stabilization catching on. No problem when taking photos, unless you are in a hurry, but that's not unusual.

Only at 24mm does it sometimes show a clear "uncaged" effect as it starts stabilizing or readjusting. Now less severe than before the two trips to Canon. But at Euro 250+20,- parts and work I'd expect a normally functioning lens. The problem is defining the normal range of 24-105 behavior.

Perhaps my expectations are unreasonable with an early production 24-105 lens, even if little used it is (almost) ten years old.

I'll try to capture the effect.

Apr 09, 2015 at 03:05 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.