Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · A Bend in the river (6x7)

dswiger
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A Bend in the river (6x7)

The San Antonio River that is. This is what's left of it after the reservoir
Spent a few days down around Hunter Liggett at a place called Whisper Canyon.
The hour or so drive from King City & back traveled through some pretty neat landscapes.
Lots of meadows, wildflowers, etc.

I spotted this location in the early morning when the light was harsh & planned on visiting at dusk.
I wasn't disappointed. While not an intense scene, it was pleasing with some nice muted colors.

Taken with a Pentax 6x7 MF, 75mm, f16, 1sec on Ektar 100.

An interesting observation, probably known to many, is the dynamic range of Ektar.
I had taken my usual ref shot for color, this time with the 5DMkII instead of the iPhone.
while the shadows & mid-tones were about at the same level, the sky was blown out on the DSLR with nothing to recover. Obviously I could have bracketed this for a DSLR shot.
Truth be told, I did cut it close on the shadows but there is still detail & color in them.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7717/16886020998_bdd339ae09_b.jpg

Here is an edit w/cropping & some P/S GND work
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8814/16876132407_5171a80034_b.jpg

C&C

Dan

Edited on Apr 08, 2015 at 08:24 PM · View previous versions

Apr 07, 2015 at 10:47 PM
Jon Buffington
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A Bend in the river (6x7)

Very nice and peaceful setting wonderfully captured. I am also an ektar fan. Time to load a roll up.

Apr 08, 2015 at 05:28 AM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A Bend in the river (6x7)

Nicely done. Ektar is my film for nearly everything color. The only other one I really use is portra (160 and 400). Ektar has basically everything going for it: well priced, great color, grainless, great dynamic range, even excellent skin tones and rendering of people. Kodak hit a homer on that film.

Apr 08, 2015 at 07:55 AM
jord217
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A Bend in the river (6x7)

I agree with Ed and Jon. Really nice and peaceful scene. The only thing that bugs me is the stray branch in the upper left corner. My eye keeps getting pulled to it but otherwise, very nice.

Apr 08, 2015 at 08:21 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A Bend in the river (6x7)

Very nice scene - makes me miss my Pentax 6x7 - I really liked that camera!

Apr 08, 2015 at 08:45 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A Bend in the river (6x7)

Hey Dan,

For sure that branch in the upper left as Jordan pointed out is a distraction. As for the composition, for me, it's just not doing a lot. Of that session I actually prefer the middle shot you posted on FB with the flowers over this.

While the amount of DR you got out of this is good, for me, the sky is overexposed, don't you have ND grads? I think it would be much stronger with the sky being worked better also.

Jim

Apr 08, 2015 at 12:39 PM
mstrickland
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A Bend in the river (6x7)

Ektar is pretty incredible. Looks good, man! I do agree with the branch in the upper left corner being a bit distracting.

Apr 08, 2015 at 02:11 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A Bend in the river (6x7)

Thanks all for comments, especially Jim

I pruned out the branches and did some P/S GND blend for the sky & added it to the original post.
I had a GND filter w/me but chose not use it as I think the 1st image reflects what I saw as the light from the right is what is illuminating the trees on the left. But I thought I would offer this version as another version

Thanks
Dan

Apr 08, 2015 at 08:27 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A Bend in the river (6x7)

I love the very honest feel of these shots Dan! Ektar is indeed a fantastic film for high contrast landscapes. I just love the way the highlights seem to go forever and still hold detail.

I think I prefer the first image because the sky has enough detail in it, and it really gives me the feeling of standing there and viewing the scene in person.

Apr 08, 2015 at 11:18 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A Bend in the river (6x7)

Ben, while I find the Pentax easier/faster to handle, it is less precise than the 4x5.
Only 1/2 stops on lens, not s/s. But its a nice tool for different shooting opportunities.

Thanks
Dan

Apr 10, 2015 at 01:00 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.