Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Glacier NP - Where to base myself?

Anzxio
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Glacier NP - Where to base myself?

I have 4 nights in Glacier NP in late August. Where would be best to get a hotel? Should i switch locations? (i'll probably have to, purely due to places being booked up). I'll be staying somewhere like Coeur d'Alene the night before to breakup the drive from Mt Rainier NP.

Thanks

Apr 07, 2015 at 12:54 PM
M. Best
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Glacier NP - Where to base myself?

You might look into staying at a cabin as well. There's several outside the park that are reasonably cheap if you don't mind simple. We stayed at one that basically just had two beds, a smaller tv and a fridge. Fresh water had to be pumped and the toilet/shower was shared. However, we spent almost all day inside the park so by the time we got back, we didn't want to do much other than sleep. Also, you may encounter falling snow/freezing rain. We went the first part of September and got snowed on towards the top. The roads can be rough in spots, especially around South Glacier so be prepared for that. Hidden Lake trail was nice and Scenic Point, while steep(I climbed it by accident thinking that it was just a scenic spot not an actual trail) the view was amazing. Tops out around 7200.

Apr 07, 2015 at 01:49 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Glacier NP - Where to base myself?

I like the Many Glacier Hotel and Swift Current Lodge. Just now I randomly picked a week day in late august and it showed availability at the hotel. One thing you should try is to search for a reservation for just one day as the computer may not have a block of several days for the same room. We stayed at Many Glacier and the Lodge for much of our trip this way. If you stay at the hotel for a few days in a row, you can ask at checkin if you can keep the same room despite different reservations. As cancellations come in, other days may become available - check daily.

At Many Glacier, you are right where you want to be. Dark skies (alas, the new moon and Perseid meteor shower is August 13th), 15 minute walks to moose hangouts in either direction, easy drive to logan pass, and nice little cafe in the basement with a splendid view of paradise. Don't miss the wonderful pies at the Park Cafe in St. Mary's. Who needs a proper lunch when you're on the move?!?

I wanted to photograph the Perseid meteor shower at Rainier last year, but moon and socked in skies squashed that plan.

Nuts, I really need to get back there...... I just took your reservation!!!! (joke)

David

Apr 10, 2015 at 08:36 AM
Anzxio
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Glacier NP - Where to base myself?

There's currently nothing at Many Glacier for when i'm there. I will keep checking though.

I'm booked for a few nights in Apgar to start.

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:34 AM
prairietom
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Glacier NP - Where to base myself?

As David said, check the swift current motel. It is almost within rock throwing distance from many glacier. I would opt for Lake McDonald Lodge or a place called West Glacier Motel I think for west side options. Or even Apgar village where ther is a motel. There was a recent shot of the northern lights from Apgar I believe reflected in Lake MacDonald. Late August this year promises to be dry and hot, I would keep that in mind. I live near Coeur d'alene, so might be jaded, but I'd stay somewhere in Montana to break up the trip, or a historic hotel in Wallace, Idaho.

Apr 12, 2015 at 02:22 PM
Anzxio
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Glacier NP - Where to base myself?

Now booked for 2 nights agar and 2 nights swiftcurrent. Still checking options for where to stop on the way to glacier. Currently thinking coeur dalene might be a little to early, and I'd like to push a little further.

Apr 12, 2015 at 04:41 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.