Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2015 · How has Photography changed your life ?

Monito
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · How has Photography changed your life ?

I could say "the girls",

... but that wouldn't be the whole story
... and to be properly respectful, I would say "the women".

... and truthfully, the whole story is not very exciting

Edited on Apr 08, 2015 at 01:01 PM · View previous versions

Apr 08, 2015 at 12:54 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · How has Photography changed your life ?

People need narratives for their lives and photography can be one of those narratives. And great photography can stop you and shock you not necessarily for the so-called beauty, but for its raw power to reveal what has been hidden from you for years on purpose , such as

this series

Apr 08, 2015 at 12:54 PM
JoshI
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · How has Photography changed your life ?

MitchSC wrote:
In 2006 the rifle was replaced with a D80 and 80-400 lens.

Mitch, I got into photography the same way. I grew up fishing and duck hunting, and while I still love to hunt, a camera has pretty much replaced the shotgun for me. I love to show others what they miss when they decide it's too cold and too early to get out on the water! In the time since, photography has moved from hobby to a part of my profession, so I guess it's had quite the impact.

Thanks Kevin for bringing up the subject.

Josh

Apr 08, 2015 at 01:33 PM
nuclearjock
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · How has Photography changed your life ?

I just spent ~$17k on a camera lens (800 VR). If someone would have told me I would do this 20 years ago.....

Apr 08, 2015 at 03:17 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · How has Photography changed your life ?

I'm just an amateur, but for me photography has become my 'creative' outlet. I'm really not that creative, but taking pictures has enabled me to create while also satisfying my more technical and gear know how. In my circles I have become a bit of an expert, advising several friends on camera gear purchases and other things related to photography. I try to tell 'stories' via pictures and find that to be a good way for me to communicate to others my best experiences.

Apr 08, 2015 at 03:54 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · How has Photography changed your life ?

lighthound wrote:
I feel so dirty.

I gotta go take a shower now.

Revel in the dirt, delay the shower.

Apr 08, 2015 at 04:27 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · How has Photography changed your life ?

Gets me off my ass and out of the house.

Apr 08, 2015 at 04:38 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · How has Photography changed your life ?

James R wrote:
Gets me off my ass and out of the house.

I resemble that remark!

Apr 08, 2015 at 05:19 PM
PhilDrinkwater
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · How has Photography changed your life ?

I get more backache :/

Apr 08, 2015 at 05:32 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · How has Photography changed your life ?

Photography has allowed my O.C.D. to shine through in all it's glory.

Now if I could just control my A.D.D. I might actually take some nice photo's.

Oh look! Pretty!!!

Apr 08, 2015 at 08:31 PM
jasoncallen
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · How has Photography changed your life ?

The power of capturing an historic moment, the personality of a great person (famous, infamous, or just an everyday great person), telling a visual story that for an instant - a moment - places the viewer THERE with the subject is what it's all about for me.

A year and a half ago I quit a comfortable job in the Washington DC suburbs to pursue freelance photography in New York City, and life as a photojournalist is working out great so far! I've gotten to meet amazing people, see amazing places, see extraordinary things from an unusual place... for me recently, photography has taken the world and magnified the enormity of the it - and made me more curious, more inquisitive, and more humble!

I've always made pictures with cameras. I've been serious about it since being handed a Nikon F and a 50mm f/1.4 lens. I've been a professional in the visual arts since 2007, and since going freelance, I've kept a roof over my head with my cameras and stubbornness alone for the past 18 months.

Joe McNally said it best at a lecture I attended at the Society for Visual Arts two weeks ago: "Photography is a visa into the lives of other people..."

...and that's a pretty damn cool thing.

Apr 08, 2015 at 09:06 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
[X]
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · How has Photography changed your life ?

all jokes and sarcastic remarks to the side. photography is a powerful tool both realistically and artistically.

look what happened in Charleston South Carolina when an individual recorded moments in time on a cell phone. the magnitude of history of that recording for all the world to see.

a picture is worth a thousand words. we as the caretakers of this wonderful medium bear a great responsibility to document moments in time.....

Apr 08, 2015 at 10:09 PM
anscochrome
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · How has Photography changed your life ?

I could not draw as a kid, but wanted to express myself visually. My mom gave me my aunt's old Kodak Duoflex 620 box camera when I was 8. I used my allowance to buy one roll of Verichrome Pan film, and processing at the local drugstore. I have stuck with it for 48 years And I still cannot draw (except with a camera and lens)

Apr 08, 2015 at 10:37 PM
MitchSC
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · How has Photography changed your life ?

R.H. Johnson wrote:
look what happened in Charleston South Carolina when an individual recorded moments in time on a cell phone. the magnitude of history of that recording for all the world to see.

North Charleston, South Carolina. Separate municipality. Tragic.

Apr 09, 2015 at 07:39 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · How has Photography changed your life ?

I believe Jason sez my feelings very eloquently! At 68 I just missed daguerreotype. ..so I have progressed and with that my outlook the world through a lens.
Dan

Apr 09, 2015 at 09:09 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.