Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Will The Real Dicyrtomina saundersi Please Stand Up (Images added)

e6filmuser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Will The Real Dicyrtomina saundersi Please Stand Up (Images added)

The session was intended to see if the insertion of a Kiron x 1.5 (OM) TC, with its curved rear surface, would solve a flare problem with the Schneider HM 40mm reversed.

The aim was to find subjects, such as woodlice millipedes and Tomocerus, shots of which (flash), with this lens, had frequently been spoiled by slightly off-centre fogging. The lens was mounted on the TC and the TC onto the OM to 4/3 and then 4/3 to m4/3.

When during the session, a yellow Dicyrtomina saundersi was found, some more magnification was needed urgently. A 21mm extension tube was all that was available at short notice and this was placed between the TC and the OM to 4/3 adapter. This gave a FOV of ca 6.5mm.

I was aware that the position of a TC in a long extension can significantly affect the magnification. However, a check found the difference here to be too small to see.

The lighting was flash, the main gun being diffused. This meant that not enough intensity was provided, a snoot being needed. So, instead of f16, or even f11, I had to use f8 to avoid the need for high ISO (ISO 400 used). This gave a DOF approximately the same as the lateral dimensions of the subject, making in-focus tracking of the springtail in motion challenging.

This individual frequently (every 10 seconds or so) stopped and reared up on its hind legs.*

This yellow form, with little dark pigment other than on the posterior of the abdomen, is the original form published by Lubbock in his monograph. I last saw one of this colour variety in the 1ate 1960s or early 1970s.

*According to Hans Jenssens, in a reply to a Flickr post:

" This behaviour is typical for Dicyrtomina. They walk about and stop suddenly to 'wave' with their first legs upwards in the air. Then continue to walk. It could be a defense behaviour. But maybe they simply try to climb up to something they 'see' but isn't there..."

There dark pattern on the rear of the abdomen is said to be a mimic of the pattern on the dorsal side of the head, deflecting a predator's aim. This does not seem to be quite in this yellow form but anyway:

http://www.collembola.org/publicat/mimicry.htm

Not a bad result for a setup test! (I think I may also have cured the flare problem but I need more shots of suitable subjects to confirm that). The TC seems to have done a good job.

EM-1, 70mm extension, Schneider FM 40mm at f8, TTL, RC Twin flash, one free-standing, hand-held.

The images have been cropped, typically by ca 50%.

I believe this may be a first, in this forum for the yellow form and for the behaviour.

Harold

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

Edited on Apr 08, 2015 at 08:14 AM · View previous versions

Apr 07, 2015 at 02:09 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Will The Real Dicyrtomina saundersi Please Stand Up (Images added)

More.

Harold

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

Apr 07, 2015 at 02:16 AM
onegreatcity
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Will The Real Dicyrtomina saundersi Please Stand Up (Images added)

This is a very thorough presentation, well researched and documented. Congratulations on the new set-up too, the images speak for themselves.

Apr 07, 2015 at 06:36 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Will The Real Dicyrtomina saundersi Please Stand Up (Images added)

onegreatcity wrote:
This is a very thorough presentation, well researched and documented. Congratulations on the new set-up too, the images speak for themselves.

Thanks. Because of the shall DOF, I have had to process a little more than is ideal, to make the most of it. I now need to add more extension, snoot the flash and use f11 or f16 for a dedicated session for this form of the species, if I can find it. Framing it at higher magnification is going to be difficult but it is the only way to go.

Harold

Apr 07, 2015 at 07:49 AM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Will The Real Dicyrtomina saundersi Please Stand Up (Images added)

Great set. I am surprised how much DOF you got at that magnification. Thanks for sharing.
Harsha

Apr 07, 2015 at 08:07 AM
can0nfan2379
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Will The Real Dicyrtomina saundersi Please Stand Up (Images added)

Well done, very interesting shots!

Apr 07, 2015 at 08:51 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Will The Real Dicyrtomina saundersi Please Stand Up (Images added)

harshaj1 wrote:
Great set. I am surprised how much DOF you got at that magnification. Thanks for sharing.
Harsha

Thanks. Thank makes two of us but it was in or out of focus, nothing to spare. Fortunately, it was a good day for steady hands.

Harold

Apr 07, 2015 at 09:05 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Will The Real Dicyrtomina saundersi Please Stand Up (Images added)

can0nfan2379 wrote:
Well done, very interesting shots!

Thanks. The behaviour took me by surprise. It didn't move forwards when rearing up, so I had additional time to frame and focus. Macro subjects are rarely that helpful!

Harold

Apr 07, 2015 at 09:09 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Will The Real Dicyrtomina saundersi Please Stand Up (Images added)

Wonderfully done Harold especially considering the extremely narrow depth of field.
Birdie

Apr 07, 2015 at 11:11 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Will The Real Dicyrtomina saundersi Please Stand Up (Images added)

birdied wrote:
Wonderfully done Harold especially considering the extremely narrow depth of field.
Birdie

Thanks, Birdie.

I would have been really frustrated if the flare problem had spoiled these. It looks like the curved rear element of the TC stopped the internal reflections against the sensor, as I intended. I hope to confirm that this week.

Harold

Apr 07, 2015 at 11:34 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Will The Real Dicyrtomina saundersi Please Stand Up (Images added)

The first two and the one after more are my picks

Morris

Apr 07, 2015 at 08:21 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Will The Real Dicyrtomina saundersi Please Stand Up (Images added)

morris wrote:
The first two and the one after more are my picks

Morris

Thanks, Morris.

My favourite is the half-hidden one, although it does not show the specific characters.

Harold

Apr 08, 2015 at 12:27 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Will The Real Dicyrtomina saundersi Please Stand Up (Images added)

Interesting captures Harold but not keen on the effect of the PP esp on the background.

Brian V.

Apr 08, 2015 at 01:05 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Will The Real Dicyrtomina saundersi Please Stand Up (Images added)

LordV wrote:
Interesting captures Harold but not keen on the effect of the PP esp on the background.

Brian V.

Thanks, Brian.

I didn't do much PP but here are a few which look like even less will give less, but enough, detail and a more pleasing appearance. They have had exactly the same final sharpening as previously but less prior PP. The background is more aesthetic.

Harold

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

© Harold Gough 2015

Apr 08, 2015 at 02:22 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.