New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Yet another "tripod advice" thread -- for studio

rw11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Yet another "tripod advice" thread -- for studio

ok, so we're back to Gitzo vs. RRS - anybody want to say that one is definitely better than the other?

the RRS definitely costs more & the cheapest solution is definitely a used Gitzo

Apr 06, 2015 at 11:11 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Yet another "tripod advice" thread -- for studio

Six of one half dozen the other. Certainly dig wheels on studio floors but moreso with medium format.

Apr 06, 2015 at 11:48 PM
Chestnut
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Yet another "tripod advice" thread -- for studio

rw11 wrote:
ok, so we're back to Gitzo vs. RRS - anybody want to say that one is definitely better than the other?

the RRS definitely costs more & the cheapest solution is definitely a used Gitzo

Agreed, RRS costs more, and there are definitely more used Gitzos on the secondary market. However, you really get what you pay for... for the same series, RRS costs more than a Gitzo, but it's also nicer, and is rated for more.

I've had the pleasure to play with a TVC-33 and my own Gitzo 3-series side by side, and there's no comparison - RRS wins hands down. Wins in fit and finish, product feel (how solid it feels, and overall luxury as well), and just overall quality. If the difference in cost is not a big concern, I'd always recommend RRS pods over Gitzo. (the reason why I am lusting over a 34L while I own a perfectly competent 3-series)

I personally would pick the 34L over the 33 for the added height, when the folded length isn't of serious concern. The additional height can either offer a higher than normal POV in the studio, or offer different options over varying terrain when outdoors.

But of course, Gitzos are still excellent pods... we're talking Maserati/Porsche vs Lambo/Farrari here, not Pontiac vs Rolls Royce.

Apr 08, 2015 at 07:58 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Yet another "tripod advice" thread -- for studio

a good visual reference:

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Shop/Carbon-Fiber-Tripods/TVC-33-Versa-series-3-3-sections-leg.html

bottom right of page then click to enlarge.

Apr 08, 2015 at 08:32 AM
JoshI
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Yet another "tripod advice" thread -- for studio

A TVC-33S might be a nice option for you. I've owned several 3-series Gitzo's and now I have three RRS tripods. I wouldn't consider anything else these days now that the pricing has nearly leveled out for new models. Even if you don't believe the RRS tripods to be better built (I'd argue they are), the difference in customer service here in the US is night and day. RRS is an excellent company with wonderful customer service. It's nearly impossible to get a living person from Gitzo on the phone.

Josh

Apr 08, 2015 at 08:04 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Yet another "tripod advice" thread -- for studio

I'm curious if any of those 3 series Gitzos were the newer designs ("6X" with improved leg locks, etc.)

being sold to a multinational holding company seems to have impacted Gitzo in the US anyway

IIRC, you buy spare parts from one company, and get repairs form another (man-frodo, which is also owned by Vitec)

I've had Email repair questions answered right away - I still use "phones" but not often

Apr 08, 2015 at 09:02 PM
JoshI
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Yet another "tripod advice" thread -- for studio

rw11 wrote:
I'm curious if any of those 3 series Gitzos were the newer designs ("6X" with improved leg locks, etc.)

being sold to a multinational holding company seems to have impacted Gitzo in the US anyway

IIRC, you buy spare parts from one company, and get repairs form another (man-frodo, which is also owned by Vitec)

I've had Email repair questions answered right away - I still use "phones" but not often

Two GT-3531S's and a GT3541XLS. I've used a GT-3532S as a loaner while one of my Gitzo's was across the pond getting repaired and it's a nice tripod. When Gitzo runs their annual rebates it's a nice alternative to the RRS TVC-33, but I wouldn't consider buying one at normal retail prices. I replaced my second GT3531S with a TVC-33 while it was being repaired for the second time. I sold it the day I got it back and I haven't missed dealing with Gitzo's customer service or the weeks-in-to-months-long repair trips.

Josh

Edit: Missed the last thing you said initially. When you have an $800 tripod that you use daily halfway across the world for repairs, it's nice to be able to talk to someone on the "phone".

Edited on Apr 09, 2015 at 12:17 PM · View previous versions

Apr 08, 2015 at 09:14 PM
Chestnut
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Yet another "tripod advice" thread -- for studio

rw11 wrote:

Yes, I currently have a GT-3531, as well as a GT-2540FL and a GT-1541T. All are 6X-CF, with ALR & G-Lock.

The GT-1541T (with BH-25, bought before BH-30 was introduced) isn't very confidence inspiring, even if Gitzo's literature recommends a DSLR with up to 200mm lens... I don't think I'd trust that with any amount of center column extended. I have not felt confident with anything more than a DX camera with a kit/compact lens on that pod, with center column down. Contrastingly, the RRS TQC-14 is just a tad larger (17.7" vs 16.1" folded length and max height 58.5"/47.6" vs 55.1"/44.5"), but has basically the same load rating (tho conservative) as the 2-series, at @25lbs. It also has a MUCH beefier center column. All-in-all, it's only 0.5 lbs heavier than the Gitzo Traveler. The only downside is the head - with the Traveler pod, the legs are reversed, so the compact BH-25 doesn't add anything to the folded length, while a BH-30 would add 3" to the TQC-14, to make the combo 20.6" folded - a 4.5" difference from 16.1". Even so, I'm really thinking about replacing my Gitzo Traveler 'pod with the TQC-14 + BH-30.... Can't really use a tripod that makes me nervous, no matter how compact it is.

The GT2540FL is a nice pod.... the RRS 2-series is nicer, but this one doesn't really need replacing (for me)... I like that it has o-rings at the leg joints to make it more water-resistant, which makes this a VERY nice traveling pod. I have an RRS BH-40 mated on top.

The GT-3531 is a good pod, and I have a BH-55 mated to it. The TVC-34L is just a better pod. I would like the added height, and the extra bit of quality makes me drool. Yes, I'm lusting. Yes, I have a problem, and it's called GAS (not the kind you get after eating too much honey baked beans). For what it's worth, I'm also lusting after RRS's gimbal head (currently using a Sidekick).

By the way, all of my Gitzo pods were either purchased on discount/rebate/special or received as gift... if I have to pay full retail now, I would go RRS all the way.

Apr 09, 2015 at 08:45 AM
PikkerTaker
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Yet another "tripod advice" thread -- for studio

Well since I kinda promised I'd let you know which way I end up going, I thought to update you now. But first wanted to give a big thank-you to all who commented and offered suggestions. I'm attaching a [crappy phone camera] photo of what just came in today. I placed my order earlier last week but didn't expect to hear anything for a few weeks at least since TVC-33 was out of stock (not even on backorder). But a couple of days ago I received an email with the tracking number and the rest is history. This thing is built like a TANK.

Again, thanks so much!

May 06, 2015 at 10:53 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.