New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Real world differences between D4 and D4S

sgilbert1967
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Real world differences between D4 and D4S

Morning guys in an effort to stay Nikon but have more than 6fps, I'm calculating a reach to a D4 selling off one of my D750s vs selling of my entire Nikon system and moving to 5DM3/7dm2 combo. The D4 can be reached what are the real world advantages I'd give up vs the D4S on paper they look very similar,but a 1400 or so savings...

Apr 06, 2015 at 07:14 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Real world differences between D4 and D4S

If Nikon follows their release pattern, and rumor seem to think they will, the D5 should be out within a year. Personally, I'd get a nice used D4 and see what the D5 brings.

I personally have a D4 and never upgraded to the D4s. I just didn't feel there was enough difference and I don't feel like I'm missing any shots. If I felt I could get a higher keeper rate with a D4s, I would have gone that route, but it seems like when I use my D4 I just plain get the shot every time. My only complaint is I wish it was higher resolution. I'd really prefer a 24MP camera. (And if the D5 is 20 instead of 24MP, I might stay with my D4 even longer - it just works.)

Some gratuitous action photos from my D4 below

Apr 06, 2015 at 08:02 AM
mmbma
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Real world differences between D4 and D4S

those are some incredible shots

Apr 06, 2015 at 08:16 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Real world differences between D4 and D4S

the D4 does many things very well. though i have moved over to the "s" track. i came back to Nikon using the D3 then D4 and switched cycle updates through the D4s. so with the D5 i'll stare at real hard but must likely stand by on it till its revised. this is a tool of work for me as i go from various situations where conditions vary greatly (one day in a field another a basement). so these work in about 99% of those situations.

© sjms 2014

© sjms 2014

© sjms 2014

© sjms 2014

© sjms 2014

Apr 06, 2015 at 08:59 AM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Real world differences between D4 and D4S

D4s has an improved AF, frame rate, sensor...and a lot of little things. Unlike Steve, when shooting surfing, I got a higher keeper rate (machine gunning surfers up close and through the wave). I don't shoot BIF, but I'm curious how these two perform in that situation.

Apr 06, 2015 at 10:26 AM
MichGoBlue
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Real world differences between D4 and D4S

I have a D4 and often shoot with a friend who has a D4s. What I notice is that in high ISO situations (10000 - 12800, where we live for some high school games), he'll often get a shot that I won't. I think the improvement in the AF is most noticeable there as with better light I rarely miss a shot with my D4.

That said, I don't think I notice enough difference between the two for me to upgrade. I will wait to see what the D5 has to offer. If the high ISO performance is a more than a stop better, then I will have to think awful hard on it, and if it goes 24 megapixels then I think I would really want to get it.

Apr 06, 2015 at 11:31 AM
ELinder
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Real world differences between D4 and D4S

I upgraded from a D4 to D4s, and I'd say unless you're frequently shooting in low light, low contrast, high ISO settings the money saved would probably be put to better use elsewhere. If you are, then the better noise and better AF is worth every penny.

Erich

Apr 06, 2015 at 02:29 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Real world differences between D4 and D4S

Unless the light is really bad, the main difference is about $1500...

Apr 07, 2015 at 01:39 PM
Game Changer
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Real world differences between D4 and D4S

I like the Group Area AF and the Spot White Balance in the D4S. I never had the D4, as I do the "S" series upgrades. The AF in low-light is improved over the D3S and the D3S ROCKS!

D4S Spot White Balance

Spot White Balance ()

Spot white balance can be useful if auto white balance fails to produce results adapted to the lighting on the pitch. White balance is measured directly from a selected area of the frame. As long as there is anything in the frame that is either white or gray, there is no need for a standard gray panel or other reference object. Nor is there any need to change lenses: spot white balance can be measured even with a telephoto lens.

Apr 07, 2015 at 03:57 PM
david debalko
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Real world differences between D4 and D4S

I have the D4 and purchased a D750 as a backup and notice like Game Changer said above the spot white balance in live view is nice, I'm guessing it's similar to the D4s

Apr 07, 2015 at 04:14 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.