Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · CrossFit - CrossFit Open Games - 15.5 WOD

jcnemy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · CrossFit - CrossFit Open Games - 15.5 WOD

Here are a few of my favorites of covering the last WOD for the CrossFit Games Open which was 15.5. This culminating workout for the Open consisted of a descending ladder of thrusters and rowing for calories.

Technical Note:

Still toying around with my 85mm f1.4 and 105 f1.8 AIS lenses...so had a lot of discards due to OOF. Due to the predictable movements - I was able to bracket in certain zones and once the athlete crossed the zone and based on peak action - I would release the shutter. Also - razor-thin DOF does not help, so kept things at f2.0 on my D700 in order to minimize higher ISOs.

Will be looking at getting a KatzEye split-prism screen for my D700 to assist - until then...using my calibrated eye along with focus confirmation within the finder.

Thanks for looking and as always - C&C welcomed!

JC

#1 Rowing for calories

#2 The upper part of the thruster

#3 Row

#4 Thruster

#5 Bottom of the thruster

Apr 05, 2015 at 06:54 PM
jcnemy
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · CrossFit - CrossFit Open Games - 15.5 WOD

6-10

Apr 05, 2015 at 06:55 PM
jcnemy
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · CrossFit - CrossFit Open Games - 15.5 WOD

11-13

Thanks again for looking!!!!

Apr 05, 2015 at 06:57 PM
Yucca
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · CrossFit - CrossFit Open Games - 15.5 WOD

Good set taken in not so good lightning.

Apr 06, 2015 at 12:39 AM
volyrat
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · CrossFit - CrossFit Open Games - 15.5 WOD

JC - nice work in a tough environment.

I really like 1,4, 6 and 11.

For the others, I think the bent arms, bars in front of faces and closed eyes detract from the pictures. I think of peak action as being at the transition points - so for thrusters at full extension, with the bar at rest in the front rack, and at the bottom of the front squat. For the rower, I think those spots would be at the catch, at the end of leg drive, and just before full extension. In my opinion, your best captures are in those areas of peak action.

We have 3 Masters qualified for the top 200, so if they do the WOD's together and I'm around, I'm going to try to shoot them. Thanks for the inspiration.

Apr 07, 2015 at 11:40 AM
jcnemy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · CrossFit - CrossFit Open Games - 15.5 WOD

@ Yucca - thanks! Yes - the light was a challenge as was the fluctuating WB that was mostly curbed with an auto-WB setting...but some still needed a little tweaking.

@volyrat - thanks for the comments as well. Good points regarding peak action and definitely makes sense and will consider for future shoots. I do get caught up in the quest to capture intensity through the athlete's eyes or facial expression...but like the suggestion on peak action during movements.

Good luck to your CrossFitters and please post some pics if the opportunity arises!

JC

Apr 07, 2015 at 09:31 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.