Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Opinion on LED Fresnel lights - Tiring for the model?

BokehBeauty
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Opinion on LED Fresnel lights - Tiring for the model?

I recently attended a workshop where we used to the end LED Fresnel lights. The results are fantastic, I like it better than the results from studio flash lights. And this is both for color and B&W processing.
However, I got the feeling that it is very tiring for the model due to the continuous light stream. I shot with open aperture so I wouldn't have needed all the light, but the others seemed to want the light.
Before I think about buying these expensive animals, I would like to get your experience. Annoying the model is the last thing I want.

Apr 05, 2015 at 11:21 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Opinion on LED Fresnel lights - Tiring for the model?

I'd love one of these, getting the same light with a strobe can't really be done easily Very pricey though.

I'm not a model but what tires them out most are dark studios with flash set at high power which is really jading and hard on them. It is a bit like sound: if noise is constant it is far less annoying than not. If the light is constant and without tons of heat (like LED is) then I cannot see this being an issue at all.

Apr 05, 2015 at 01:54 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Opinion on LED Fresnel lights - Tiring for the model?

My experience is with big CFLs in an elementary school, and if you want/need to be at f/8, it is going to be annoyingly bright, as in making lots of people squint and ruining the shot bright. On top of that, if you are in a bright ambient environment, it only complicates things when it comes to white balance.

We tried the CFLs for one year and went back to studio strobes for better consistency, more power, and simpler workflow from one location to the next.

Paul

Apr 05, 2015 at 04:24 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Opinion on LED Fresnel lights - Tiring for the model?

Still photogs have a big advantage over videographers: we don't need continuous lighting. We can enjoy point sources, diffused sources, closeups, hall-sized venues, freedom from subject blur, and full-spectrum daylight color temp. I own and use followspots and fresnel fixtures with xenon flash and 300W modelling lights. There is no need to give your models sunstroke, or burn down the studio. The equation changes if you shoot at ISO 3200, but ISO 100 and Sunny 16 says you need broad sunlight for f/11 @ f/200, my choice for general purpose people pics in studio. I don't want continuous broad sunlight in my shoots, and neither do my (human) subjects.

Above taken with Profoto MultiSpot (a fresnel flash fixture) at 9J or so.

Apr 06, 2015 at 02:06 AM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Opinion on LED Fresnel lights - Tiring for the model?

I was shooting portraits back when the average studio was still using big tungsten bulbs and the beig guys like Richard Avedon were using flash. Shooting at

When electronic flash became cheap enough, we still photographers glommed onto them and never looked back. Today, I'm getting into video and beginning to work with the new class of high-intensity LED lighting.

Combined with Live View digital cameras, there is very little benefit to still photographers for any kind of artificial continuous lighting. As mentioned, getting it bright enough for reasonable camera settings is unconfortably bright for subjects.

Moreover, LEDs seem somehow much more uncomfortably bright to the eyes for their level of power than does incandescent light. I don't know why that is.

Apr 06, 2015 at 05:15 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Opinion on LED Fresnel lights - Tiring for the model?

RDKirk wrote:
Moreover, LEDs seem somehow much more uncomfortably bright to the eyes for their level of power than does incandescent light. I don't know why that is.

A number of reasons. 1) LEDs are many times more efficient than an incadescent light, a 20-watt LED might be 2000 lumens while a 20-watt incadescent might be 200 lumens. 2) They also tend to be small, so the light emitted can be very intense if you stare directly at it (but this depends on the actual setup).

3) And a typical white LED is actually a blue LED with a phosphor to convert a portion of the blue light to other frequencies. So it is not an even spectrum, there is a spike in the spectrum around blue and then a dip followed by another larger hump.

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/lightandcolor/images/lightsourcesfigure3.jpg

The CRI rating gives you an idea of how good the spectral coverage is, but not so much color response itself. In general, the better the CRI, the less efficient the LED. LEDs used to be pretty bad when it came to color response, but the modern ones are getting better.

In my own shooting I've dealt with (2) by using an upgraded beleuchtungschalttafel-5000L which is a "remote phosphor modular panel" type (swapping the phosphor panel, which is roughly 8" by 11", can set the white balance to different values, 2700, 3000, 4000, or 5000). Though due to the so-so color response it is sometimes takes a while to get pleasing skin tones in post.

Apr 06, 2015 at 05:49 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.