New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · New D750, minor questions

object88

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New D750, minor questions

I finally (finally!) have picked up a new camera. My old D40 will _always_ be near and dear, but I am excited to get some frames in with the D750.

I'm checking it out, trying to make sure that there isn't anything obviously amiss that will cause trouble down the lines. Two things seem weird, but maybe that's just how it is?

1) When I tilt the camera crossing the horizon either direction, there's a tiny "tick" sound.
2) When I hit the AF, the focal markers light up, but there is often a red wash coming in from the sides of the viewfinder.

Are these things normal? They certainly don't bother me (well, the red wash might when in comes to shooting bands in a dark venue); I just don't want to ignore signs of a pending issue.

Thanks!

Pictures of my housecat to follow soon.

Apr 04, 2015 at 12:35 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New D750, minor questions

No tick in mine. Send it back or you'll never stop thinking about it.

Apr 04, 2015 at 04:11 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New D750, minor questions

Also the red... Depending on the ambient light you can see some red "wash" that illuminates the points becUse the light is from the side I guess. So it may well be fine... Would have to see it to be sure.

But the ticking thing... Sounds like something is loose somewhere.

Apr 04, 2015 at 04:13 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New D750, minor questions

Nikon has a loose piece in the camera that senses orientation IIRC. I can't hear it so I never paid attention. At least the constant tinnitus is loud enough it drowns out all those voices!

Apr 04, 2015 at 04:58 PM
riotshield
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New D750, minor questions

Could be the pop up flash. Does it make the sound with the flash up?

Apr 04, 2015 at 05:06 PM
object88

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New D750, minor questions

The sound does still happen when the flash pops up. Also, same with or without battery, with or without lens, with or without body cap, LCD pulled out or in, with or without memory card. Seems pretty internal.

I did think that it might be related to judging whether the camera was level... guess that's possible.

Apr 04, 2015 at 05:17 PM
object88

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New D750, minor questions

I just took a _really_ close listen, and I hear a sound when it I tilt it right or left. So I think the level is a great call, thanks!

As for the red wash, I will take some shots in the dark and see if it bugs me.

Apr 04, 2015 at 05:40 PM
bcaslis
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New D750, minor questions

Both your issues sound the same as my D750. Go out and use it, it's a great camera.

Apr 04, 2015 at 10:57 PM
object88

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · New D750, minor questions

Great, thanks bcaslis! I figured I was being a little paranoid.

Apr 05, 2015 at 12:36 AM
DarthMTS47
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · New D750, minor questions

Are you sure the tick isn't the camera strap brackets moving when you tilt the camera? That was the normal ticking sound associated with my D750 - until I removed them.

Apr 05, 2015 at 11:19 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · New D750, minor questions

I assumed he was hearing something like rolling back and forth inside that was easily notable. I never put my ear up to the camera in a quiet room

Apr 06, 2015 at 08:35 AM
object88

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · New D750, minor questions

It isn't the camera strap brackets, I held them in place and the sound persisted.

It's not really a rolling sound. Just a small "tick" as the camera pitches across the horizon. There is a much fainter tick, that I didn't notice at first, as the camera rolls across the vertical axis.

Apr 06, 2015 at 09:22 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · New D750, minor questions

Like runamuck, I don't hear the level either, and probably for the same reason. However, the sound within a pitching/rolling camera has been known to happen in other cameras & brands because of the level.

Check your shooting menu for focus point / viewfinder controls because you can control how that displays. If I recall, you can turn it off completely, set it on, or auto depending on the brightness of the backgorund.

Apr 06, 2015 at 10:12 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.