New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Need PC

Arrevelle

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need PC

I need a PC to run LR. No gaming and im on a budget. Im a nursinng student. Lol. Ive read reviews, advice etc on tons of forums etc. now im even more confused. Help!

Apr 04, 2015 at 10:04 AM
aubsxc
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need PC

What is your budget? Are you willing to build it yourself?

Apr 04, 2015 at 10:52 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need PC

For LR 5:
- Get the fastest intel quad core cpu you can afford
- At least 8GB RAM (16 if you can afford)
- Boot from an SSD (128-200GB will do)
- Put the images on a spinning hard disk (1-6TB, depending on your needs)
- Remember to get a backup system of some kind (an external USB drive will do fine for basic needs)

- Don't bother with a graphics card, the integrated intel GPU is good enough
- Hosting the LR catalogue on an SSD is reported to speed things a bit, but should not be a primary consideration

- Dell do OK screens at acceptable prices. Anything labelled "Ultrasharp" will be acceptable for photo editing, the non-ultrasharp models are not so hot though.

There is a "but" attached here, and it's a big one - LR6 is rumoured to be launching soon, and we don't know what changes they are making to the rendering engine. It is widely hoped that Adobe will add support for GPU co-processing (in which case you probably want to add a GTX-750 or similar to the above spec), but as of now everything is entirely rumour and speculation.

Apr 04, 2015 at 12:20 PM
Arrevelle

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need PC

Im hoping to stay around $800 or less preferred. Im not opposed to building one but not sure how. If i can buy all the components i can probabaly find someone local to put it together. I just dont know what i need. Havent used a desktop in years. Have an old dell that is just sitting. Would it be cheaper to update those parts?

Apr 04, 2015 at 12:50 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need PC

As 15Bit said, Lightroom 6 is due out - can you wait and see what changes that brings and then address a suitable computer?

Are you also thinking about a good notebook and external monitor?

Apr 04, 2015 at 11:56 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need PC

For the CPU, I have Puget Systems build mine. I am not a builder. Monitors..shop around. I use NEC now with SpectraViewII Color Calibration. NEC had a sale on B&H and I got 2, 27" and 30" for 33% off each. The3 Puget's I have were all inexpensive and loaded.
Dan

Apr 05, 2015 at 03:40 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.