New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Thoughts on the Nikon 1 J5

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Thoughts on the Nikon 1 J5

It actually looks interesting to me as a small light-weight camera.

http://www.nikon.com/news/2015/0402_acil_01.htm

My only nit would be if Nikon does not offer it Body Only or only offers it with that stupid kit lens that does not have a filter ring.

Apr 03, 2015 at 11:43 AM
Mr. Clean
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Thoughts on the Nikon 1 J5

I like it personally, the cost is just a couple hundred more than I paid for my P330. On the other hand though, my P330 fits in my pocket. Never been much of a mirrorless + DSLR guy.

It looks great though, really cool design and bunch of nice features. If I was in the market, it would definitely be a top 3 consideration.

Apr 03, 2015 at 11:58 AM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Thoughts on the Nikon 1 J5

Not having a viewfinder, how well do these cameras work in sunlight as far as composing and assuring focus??
Douglas

Apr 03, 2015 at 02:31 PM
mmakay

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Thoughts on the Nikon 1 J5

douter wrote:
Not having a viewfinder, how well do these cameras work in sunlight as far as composing and assuring focus??
Douglas

I've taken my wife's J4 out and the screen is fairly easy to see in very bright sunlight when set to max brightness. As far as focus, you need to rely on auto focus doing it's thing with any camera like this, but the confirmation boxes are perfectly visible.

For me, though, not having a viewfinder is an ergonomic hurdle I haven't overcome. Holding the camera out in front of me just doesn't come naturally, and I have much more trouble keeping the camera steady.

Apr 03, 2015 at 03:56 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Thoughts on the Nikon 1 J5

4K at 15fps = lolwut

I wonder if the IQ jump is enough to make it a better option than buying a new-in-box V2 which is a more serious compact with viewfinder.

Apr 03, 2015 at 06:00 PM
sonofjesse2010
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Thoughts on the Nikon 1 J5

by what I know now I still want an Olympus mirror less.

Apr 03, 2015 at 07:21 PM
Mr. Clean
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Thoughts on the Nikon 1 J5

douter wrote:
Douglas

Ah they're fine. I took my P330 on a Euro vaca and it worked great. 800+ shots in the darkest dungeons (literally) to bright Icelandic sunlight and snow. So well as a matter of fact that I'm not sure I'd ever bring my DSLR unless it was for a more extended stay and not so rushed.

Apr 04, 2015 at 09:43 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Thoughts on the Nikon 1 J5

I was searching B&H and see that the Nikon 1 V2 with a 10-100 is on sale for $619 which is just $120 more than the Nikon 1 J5 with the useless kit lens. The lens alone sells for $450

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/937956-REG/nikon_27663_1_v2_mirrorless_digital.html

I wonder if it's better just to go for the V2 and get the more useful lens.

I hate to pass on such a good deal, but perhaps spending my $ on a D7200 makes more sense.

Apr 04, 2015 at 10:34 AM
nikt
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Thoughts on the Nikon 1 J5

I really hate saying wait, but Nikon have simply been so unpredictable. I think the next V series may be the one that would interest you the most (given how these things have panned out with these models so far).

Apr 05, 2015 at 04:32 AM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Thoughts on the Nikon 1 J5

I like this attempt by Nikon very much.
Better sensor, butter UI, better looks.
Now if they announce a V4 like this with a EVF, it could be a hot one.
I don't care about video.

Apr 05, 2015 at 06:20 AM
nikt
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Thoughts on the Nikon 1 J5

I agree, and only differ with wanting the video (.... and at 4K 30p)

If Nikon could just release a video camera like Panasonic and Sony have for their mounts, I'd be a happy little tweet.

Apr 05, 2015 at 06:52 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Thoughts on the Nikon 1 J5

^^^ Nik and Chris. I think you may well be right. If they get the feature set on the V4 correct, the way the J5 finally got it right, we have an interesting camera coming. The big question will be the price.

Apr 05, 2015 at 07:33 AM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Thoughts on the Nikon 1 J5

I really like the looks of this camera! I am a bit leery jumping into another system, especially one with such a small sensor. What is the build quality of these cameras like. It looks like metal, but I'm betting plastic? I hate small cameras that feel light and cheap.

I do think this might be the perfect camera though for backup travel photography especially for a nikon user.

Apr 05, 2015 at 07:48 AM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Thoughts on the Nikon 1 J5

I bought my gf a J1 a few years back she likes it. Maybe I could upgrade it with this. Honestly she wouldn't care that she cannot mount a filter on it. She just wants a small camera to shoot pics of the kids. And is this the same sensor from the Rx100III?

Apr 05, 2015 at 08:11 AM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Thoughts on the Nikon 1 J5

Hardcore wrote:

I do think this might be the perfect camera though for backup travel photography especially for a nikon user.

That's how I use it.
In good light it's pretty good and with the new sensor there's about 2 stops of DR-gain.
High ISO is the weakest point of the system, but with the prime noise reduction of DxO optics pro you can get acceptable results up to ISO3200.
The build quality of the 6.7-13, 10-100 and 70-300 are pretty good and the first and last are optically very good as well.
With these 3 lenses you cover 18-810 in FX.
The 32/1.2 is exceptional, but I never tried it.
The 18.5/1.8 is a good but cheap build lens.
The 10/.28 is very small but only mediocre at best.

It would be nice if there were some faster lenses, but the will be o lot larger and heavier as well.

The FT-1 adapter is a nice one as well, gives you a 2.7x TC.

Apr 05, 2015 at 08:21 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Thoughts on the Nikon 1 J5

Hardcore wrote:
I really like the looks of this camera! I am a bit leery jumping into another system, especially one with such a small sensor. What is the build quality of these cameras like. It looks like metal, but I'm betting plastic? I hate small cameras that feel light and cheap.

That's my thought process ... the "jacket pocket" camera for those days being a "Dad" is 1st and foremost and taking pictures is a secondary concern.

Apr 05, 2015 at 12:20 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Thoughts on the Nikon 1 J5

Assuming it has the same sensor as the RX100MIII, then we have to ask what advantages it has over that more compact camera.

1. interchangeable lenses (at the cost of size and wt.)
2. better, faster AF for action and other situations
3. higher frame rates (perfect for the assiduous soccer mom)
4. and what sets it apart from ALL other compacts is the FT-1 option which enables it to provide a lot of reach for the Nikon telephoto lens owner

It has several other convenience features that Thom Hogan at least thinks are needed in this market (easy uploads to a computer, phone, or tablet), etc.

I dunno if it is good enough but at least it is a movement in the right direction. I expect Nikon will be building on the Nikon One system for some time - whether it last 50 years is another question.

Apr 05, 2015 at 12:45 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Thoughts on the Nikon 1 J5

douter wrote:
Douglas

You use a black cloth and throw it over your head as if you are using a view camera.

Morris

Apr 05, 2015 at 02:27 PM
gugs
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Thoughts on the Nikon 1 J5

I really like the V2 combined with the 10-100VR, the wide angle zoom and the fast 18.5 and 32 mm lenses so I'll personally wait for a mix between the J5 and the V2 (the next V4 ?).

Guy

Apr 05, 2015 at 04:17 PM
jigesh
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Thoughts on the Nikon 1 J5

Seems to be in stock/shipping soon in various configurations and instant rebates depending upon the lens kit.

May 01, 2015 at 11:26 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.