Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Domain Question?

ogerisg321
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Domain Question?

Let me make this a little easier.

I will purchasing one today and need to know which on works best with Zenfolio. A friend recommended Dreamhost, but is there something better?

Thanks!

Edited on Apr 03, 2015 at 12:33 PM · View previous versions

Apr 03, 2015 at 10:01 AM
giddyup
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Domain Question?

I'm not sure about your initial questions, sorry. One tip I can give you about Zenfolio is to use the built-in pages instead of making custom pages because custom pages are full of SEO errors for mobile and there's no way for you to correct the errors.

Hope that helps.

Apr 03, 2015 at 10:10 AM
ogerisg321
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Domain Question?

giddyup wrote:
I'm not sure about your initial questions, sorry. One tip I can give you about Zenfolio is to use the built-in pages instead of making custom pages because custom pages are full of SEO errors for mobile and there's no way for you to correct the errors.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for the heads up, but I used all the built-in pages. The only page I am planing on using a custom page to design is the pricing info page.

Apr 03, 2015 at 12:35 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Domain Question?

You can use any registrar. My personal preference is dotster. All you have to do is place the nameserver info from your hosting provider (dreamhost, squarespace, zenfolio, etc) into the nameserver field on your registrar (dotster, godaddy, etc). And www.$@&#=.com will point to wherever you have your site hosted. Having them separate is good because if you don't want to have your site hosted somewhere you can easily move to another host just by changing your nameserver.

Apr 03, 2015 at 01:02 PM
jbregar
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Domain Question?

I build web sites for a living.

Stay away from GoDaddy... for a number of reasons.

I personally use Namecheap, I have used Dotster in the past. Any registrar should work fine with Zenfolio.

I will suggest that you NEVER, EVER have your domain name registered through your hosting provider (Zenfolio, Hostgator, whatever). If you do, you can run into a serious pain in the ass situation if you ever wanted to switch hosting providers.

Apr 03, 2015 at 01:29 PM
Ryan Britton
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Domain Question?

swoop wrote:
You can use any registrar. My personal preference is dotster. All you have to do is place the nameserver info from your hosting provider (dreamhost, squarespace, zenfolio, etc) into the nameserver field on your registrar (dotster, godaddy, etc). And www.$@&#=.com will point to wherever you have your site hosted. Having them separate is good because if you don't want to have your site hosted somewhere you can easily move to another host just by changing your nameserver.

I've never used Dotster, but they will not stop spamming me. I've unsubscribed, their website says I've unsubscribed, and I still get constant junk from them.

My registrar of choice is Hover. Free private WHOIS and quantity discounts.

Apr 04, 2015 at 12:14 PM
swoop
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Domain Question?

Ryan Britton wrote:
I've never used Dotster, but they will not stop spamming me. I've unsubscribed, their website says I've unsubscribed, and I still get constant junk from them.

My registrar of choice is Hover. Free private WHOIS and quantity discounts.

I get experation notices and the occasional email when they're having a sale. Other than that it hasn't been burdensome in any way.

Apr 04, 2015 at 02:03 PM
ogerisg321
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Domain Question?

I went with Namecheap and I'm all set up now.

Thanks all.

Apr 04, 2015 at 03:02 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.