New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Rebekah

Ian Boys
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rebekah

A couple of shots from my lighting course.

Both Fuji x-t1 and 56mm

Rebekah by Ian_Boys, on Flickr

lighting:
main: Bowens 500 in 4' softbox c/right
fill: Bowens 500 in 2' softbox c/left
background: Bowens 500 with grid and barndoors top right providing "window spill" (thanks Bill Gekas!)

Would have been better with a solid or flatter background. Something for next time.

Rebekah by Ian_Boys, on Flickr

lighting: clamshell
Main above: Bowens 500 in 4' softbox
Fill below: Bowens 500 in 2' softbox

Apr 03, 2015 at 06:50 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rebekah

She's a lovely model. There's something about her mouth and nose in the first that makes me think of Linda Carter.

Of the two, I prefer #1. I think you might want to consider Cropping #2 slightly above the elbow. That would fix a couple of things, like the baseboard, the little triangle of skin between the dress and the top, and the forearm. For some reason the forearm looks bent in a funny way.

I like the nice soft lighting and the processing a lot.

Apr 03, 2015 at 07:14 AM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rebekah

Thank you. The soft feel comes from using Colour Lookup > Warm and Soft in photoshop. I've never tried it before this year as it seems to be aimed at video users but it gives a nice feel in portraits.

There are also others like "futuristic bleak" and "horror blue" that might be useful for the right shot.

Apr 03, 2015 at 07:50 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rebekah

Ian Boys wrote:
Thank you. The soft feel comes from using Colour Lookup > Warm and Soft in photoshop. I've never tried it before this year as it seems to be aimed at video users but it gives a nice feel in portraits.

There are also others like "futuristic bleak" and "horror blue" that might be useful for the right shot.

I learn something every day! Thanks for the info. Next time I'm in the UK, I'll buy you a pint of your favorite or your favorite single malt. Your call.

Apr 03, 2015 at 08:40 AM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rebekah

Kronenbourg lager, cheers

I've only just discovered colour lookup and I don't know how to make my own pre-sets yet (that's where the magic "look" is, I think). But that Warm and Soft pre-set in the first menu is great. I get an image to look how I want then I hit that and it looks even better. Magic.

Apr 03, 2015 at 02:29 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.