New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · DF + Sigma 85....DF going nuts

Jason_Brook
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DF + Sigma 85....DF going nuts

I just received a used Sigma 85/1.4 today; when mounted on my D610 it works flawlessly. When on my DF, AF hesitates, when in the fine tune menu the tune value literally flickers randomly and moving through the AF tune menu is sluggish, and it doesn't AF in LV.

I thought the DF compatibility issues with Sigma were all older lenses? I can't find any reference mentioning the 85/1.4 having an issue?

And for those who feel you've completed wasted your time looking at this thread; here's the little one playing hopscotch with the Sig 85/1.4

Apr 02, 2015 at 07:32 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DF + Sigma 85....DF going nuts

Traitor!

Apr 02, 2015 at 07:42 PM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · DF + Sigma 85....DF going nuts

Hardcore wrote:
Traitor!

58 ain't going anywhere. That baby just needs a breather after not leaving the camera for 6 months.

Apr 02, 2015 at 07:45 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · DF + Sigma 85....DF going nuts

P.S. That bokeh looks like crap . Joking of course! Sorry I can't help you though. I have a tendency to derail topics

Apr 02, 2015 at 07:55 PM
Todd
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · DF + Sigma 85....DF going nuts

I used to own the sigma 85 F/1.4 and I took it back after going through three copies because it was not working right on my camera either and I had the Nikon D800. The AF fine-tune jumped around, it back focused and somewhat hesitated like yours is doing. So I went back with the Nikon and loved it. Then sold the Nikon and got the Carl Zeiss 100mm F/2. If you're having major issues with your Sigma 85, I would either go back to Nikon or wait for the signal 85 art to come out

Apr 02, 2015 at 08:35 PM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · DF + Sigma 85....DF going nuts

It's gotta be a firmware issue. The AF hesitation is only slight, the bizarre thing is the AF fine tune value flickering on the rear display when it's shown.

Apr 02, 2015 at 08:58 PM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · DF + Sigma 85....DF going nuts

Jason_Brook wrote:
It's gotta be a firmware issue. The AF hesitation is only slight, the bizarre thing is the AF fine tune value flickering on the rear display when it's shown.

I'm glad you started this thread. I am having the same exact issue and I wasn't sure what to make of it. I called Sigma and as usual they blamed it on Df and asked me to send it it. I thought I was alone on this one. I'm still debating whether to send it to Sigma or not.

Mine is front focusing and it won't take the tuning because it keeps on flickering when I enter the value. Well I wasn't really sure if it will hold the value or not. I gave up when I saw it flickering.

Did you test to see if the value holds even though it flickers?

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w118/okafoja/Round6/DSC_4657_zps0bxntepz.jpg

Apr 02, 2015 at 09:44 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · DF + Sigma 85....DF going nuts

Hardcore wrote:
P.S. That bokeh looks like crap . Joking of course! Sorry I can't help you though. I have a tendency to derail topics

BOKEH is starting to hurt my eyes a little hehe.

My sigma 35 made my df go crazy. Further research told me I had to get a firmware update. So off to the BS forum it went!! Worked fine on my d800. 85 eh? I just picked up an 85mm f1.8 K. Supposedly does swirlies ;-). Not this eye straining crap that they all have

Nice photo nonetheless.

Apr 02, 2015 at 10:34 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · DF + Sigma 85....DF going nuts

Mine did the flickering also in afft. And I will state it again...off to tr BS forum it went! Gotta play nice with the Df or else!!
For what its worth mine was a 35A.

Apr 02, 2015 at 10:36 PM
sanjayg
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · DF + Sigma 85....DF going nuts

Jason, could be a firmware issue (on the lens). I had the Siggy 85 a while ago and it played really nice with my D700. With the recent release of Art series, you can update firmware on the lens using the Sigma dock. But with the 85 f1.4 you may need to send it in to Sigma. I realize I am not helping here, since I never used the DF / Sig85 combo.

Apr 03, 2015 at 05:49 AM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · DF + Sigma 85....DF going nuts

okafoja wrote:
I'm glad you started this thread. I am having the same exact issue and I wasn't sure what to make of it. I called Sigma and as usual they blamed it on Df and asked me to send it it. I thought I was alone on this one. I'm still debating whether to send it to Sigma or not.

Mine is front focusing and it won't take the tuning because it keeps on flickering when I enter the value. Well I wasn't really sure if it will hold the value or not. I gave up when I saw it flickering.

Did you
...Show more

I didn't play with it enough on the DF to see if it was holding the value or not. I believe it was actually holding the value, but I didn't have anything locked down so take it with a grain of salt.

Sigma did announce a compatibility issue with the DF, but like I said, I haven't seen any mention of the 85 being on the list.

Apr 03, 2015 at 06:43 AM
okafoja
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · DF + Sigma 85....DF going nuts

low325 wrote:
BOKEH is starting to hurt my eyes a little hehe.

My sigma 35 made my df go crazy. Further research told me I had to get a firmware update. So off to the BS forum it went!! Worked fine on my d800. 85 eh? I just picked up an 85mm f1.8 K. Supposedly does swirlies ;-). Not this eye straining crap that they all have

Nice photo nonetheless.

No problem with my 35 Art on Df. I don't think I will ever sell my 35. I use it on my Df 98% of the time.

Apr 03, 2015 at 09:07 AM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · DF + Sigma 85....DF going nuts

This is your DF's subtle way of telling you to go back to mfng.

Apr 03, 2015 at 09:15 AM
Gene_C
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · DF + Sigma 85....DF going nuts

Jason_Brook wrote:
I just received a used Sigma 85/1.4 today; when mounted on my D610 it works flawlessly. When on my DF, AF hesitates, when in the fine tune menu the tune value literally flickers randomly and moving through the AF tune menu is sluggish, and it doesn't AF in LV.

I thought the DF compatibility issues with Sigma were all older lenses? I can't find any reference mentioning the 85/1.4 having an issue?

And for those who feel you've completed wasted your time looking at this thread; here's the little one playing hopscotch with the Sig 85/1.4

Jason, FWIW, I had to return my Siggy 105OS and 150OS for a firmware upgrade to get them to work properly on my DF. My 24-105 OS box had a note that it was compatible with the DF.

Gene

Apr 04, 2015 at 10:49 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.