Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Oddball question re moving LR images….

DaveFP
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Oddball question re moving LR images….

Hi all -

Not sure the best way to manage this.

I use Photo Mechanic to view, annotate, and cull images.

I only send images from PM to LR that I am going to process. That might be 1 or 2 images per event folder.

I am not sure of the best way to move these images (to a new drive) going forward. One by one in LR?

Or better to creat a duplicate folder of LR copies so that I can move the whole folder later?

Trying to avoid a future headache.

Thanks !!!

Apr 02, 2015 at 06:23 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Oddball question re moving LR images….

LR can use a 'hot folder' that you would just drop the 1-2 into for auto-import.

Apr 02, 2015 at 07:23 PM
DaveFP
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Oddball question re moving LR images….

howardm4 wrote:
LR can use a 'hot folder' that you would just drop the 1-2 into for auto-import.

So you would send copies to this folder?

Apr 02, 2015 at 07:49 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Oddball question re moving LR images….

or the originals. it's your choice. you dont really want multiple managed and unmanaaged copies.

Apr 02, 2015 at 08:04 PM
DaveFP
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Oddball question re moving LR images….

howardm4 wrote:
or the originals. it's your choice. you dont really want multiple managed and unmanaaged copies.

That makes sense - thanks.

Apr 02, 2015 at 08:06 PM
DaveFP
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Oddball question re moving LR images….

howardm4 wrote:

Quick additional question if you don't mind.

Since I am generating an xmp file in Photo Mechanic and I am saving changes to xmp in LR then it is critical to also drag the original xmp into the "hot" folder outside of LR; correct?

I think yes but a confirm would be nice!

Apr 03, 2015 at 04:56 PM
Stan_Bax

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Oddball question re moving LR images….

Hi !

The answer is yes.

My PM -> LR workflow is based on 2 folders in Dropbox:

1) Ingest_into_PM
2) Move_to_LR

As I use 2 different bodies (5D3, OMD EM-5) + iPhone/iPad + other family members (the 'Sony bunch'), everything goes into (1) above, gets ingested, keepers are selected, and go into (2), then imported (moved) into LR.

LR pics & cat are on separate drive with automatic backup to:
a) my network (use a Synology RS-814), and also a separate copy to:
b) Web backup.

Apr 04, 2015 at 03:28 AM
DaveFP
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Oddball question re moving LR images….

Stan - I know its a dumb question but do you bring in the PM generated .XMP file too?

Apr 04, 2015 at 07:16 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Oddball question re moving LR images….

I would think the answer is 'yes', otherwise how would LR 'know' anything that you did in PM? Then the question is 'can you simply dump the .xmp into the hot folder and have LR 'do the right thing' (ie. move it to the imported folder structure and associate it w/ the image itself). In reality, I think if the file (xmp) simply exists in the folder w/ the same filename as the image, when LR opens that image, it will also open the .xmp

Apr 04, 2015 at 07:43 AM
DaveFP
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Oddball question re moving LR images….

howardm4 wrote:
I would think the answer is 'yes', otherwise how would LR 'know' anything that you did in PM? Then the question is 'can you simply dump the .xmp into the hot folder and have LR 'do the right thing' (ie. move it to the imported folder structure and associate it w/ the image itself). In reality, I think if the file (xmp) simply exists in the folder w/ the same filename as the image, when LR opens that image, it will also open the .xmp

That is what I would think. I will just give it a try; just trying to understand the mechanics of it all.

Apr 04, 2015 at 07:55 AM
Stan_Bax

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Oddball question re moving LR images….

Stan - I know its a dumb question but do you bring in the PM generated .XMP file too?

Hi again !

The only *dumb* questions are the ones you forgot to ask => dumb questions don't exist IMHO

Like I wrote in the very first line of my previous post: Yes, do bring in the .xmp

Apr 04, 2015 at 09:05 AM
DaveFP
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Oddball question re moving LR images….

Stan_Bax wrote:
Hi again !

The only *dumb* questions are the ones you forgot to ask => dumb questions don't exist IMHO

Like I wrote in the very first line of my previous post: Yes, do bring in the .xmp

OK thanks - working on this "flow" this weekend - happy holidays

Apr 04, 2015 at 10:32 AM
DaveFP
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Oddball question re moving LR images….

Stan_Bax wrote:
Hi again !

OK thanks - working on this "flow" this weekend - happy holidays

Apr 04, 2015 at 10:32 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Oddball question re moving LR images….

I'm not too clear on your requirement.

Why are you using Lr at all for so few images ?
With such a small number you can afford to not use .xmp data from PM and simply start again from scratch in Lr.

Are you editing the "raw" files in Lr, or jpg/tif files created by PM ?

Are you intending to re-save (export) the edited files from Lr or will you rely on the non-destructive editing capability of Lr ?

If processing converted image files or raw files in Lr without exporting them at the end, then Lr will not be happy if you subsequently use another program to relocate them. That's because you will break the link between its catalogue database and the actual file locations. If you must relocate Lr-managed images for backup or whatever then copy the whole image folder structure so that you can easily point the same Lr catalogue at the new structure. Otherwise use Lr to export them as a new catalogue.

Not all Lr data is held in .xmp files. e.g. collection membership.

Lr does not necessarily see or use all .xmp data from other programs, and vice versa.

.xmp files tend to slow down Lr when there are lots of files and/or you are doing lots of edits - especially on slow hard drive systems. I use only the .xmp data in the Lr catalogue but then I rarely use other software that needs to share .xmp data with Lr. I also keep my catalogue well backed up.

- Alan

Apr 21, 2015 at 11:47 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.