Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Apr 02, 2015 at 02:08 PM
Danner
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photoflex out of business

Wow, that's a surprise. I liked all their stuff, especially the 12x16" softbox.

Apr 02, 2015 at 02:59 PM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photoflex out of business

A real pity. Loved their soft boxes… Bummer.

Apr 02, 2015 at 05:07 PM
c. eless

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photoflex out of business

This is what happens when people save a few bucks buying Chinese knock-offs. Pretty soon the only choice will be Chinese crap.

Apr 02, 2015 at 05:29 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photoflex out of business

Who knows for sure what happened. It could have just been poor business practices. However, the Chinese effect is certainly more of a factor now if as a manufacturer, you can't sell your the extra quality and local service. U.S. distributors can take part of the blame also for stocking and promoting Chinese knock-offs along side their U.S suppliers. Or private labeling Chinese knock-offs. And, they are knock-offs. The Chinese steel and copy everything and have no skin in the game, no costly engineering, labor, and design work, patents, etc. This is why more and more U.S. manufactures like my company are selling direct.

But the real blame goes to the buyers. If you don't care about American and European innovation and quality, the crap will keep coming, and American companies will go out of business. Enjoy your Yongnuo flash

Apr 02, 2015 at 07:42 PM
neoshazam
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photoflex out of business

Sadness.

I love my two 39" x 72" Light Panels , and 77" x 77" Light Panel all with translucent and white/black fabric. Hope I can get two more of the 39x72(s).

I have a very good 60" reversable umbrella and a few 5 in 1 pop up reflectors (don't use as much anymore).

Apr 02, 2015 at 08:40 PM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photoflex out of business

Gregg Heckler wrote:
But the real blame goes to the buyers. If you don't care about American and European innovation and quality, the crap will keep coming, and American companies will go out of business. Enjoy your Yongnuo flash

I’m not sure you can lay this squarely at consumers. There actually needs to be innovation, quality and compelling products produced in the first instance. Profoto, Bron, Elenchom, Westcott et al all seem to be doing just fine.

Example: Westcott. They even rebrand Chinese and Korean stuff

Example: while Chinese speedlights are getting lithium batteries and built in radio triggering while Nikon still produce overpriced AA powered flashes with wireless via IR which featured a last update of fixing a screwed up overheat issue. I am very much enjoying my V860 flash with my overpriced PWs and SBs on ebay.

I admit though have never owned a Photoflex product (and that may have been part of the problem…)

Apr 03, 2015 at 10:46 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photoflex out of business

Well, if you had owned Photoflex product you'd have a different reaction. They made solid products at a reasonable cost. Excellent stuff for most photographers. Sad to see 'em go.

Apr 03, 2015 at 06:03 PM
phuang3
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Photoflex out of business

Chinese knock-offs may be one reason, but it's not the main reason. There are too many light modifiers on the market. Many of them are not seen in Photoflex's catalog, and they are cheap and effective. 10 years ago, if you want remote flash triggering, the expensive pocket wizard is probably the only choice. Now, you can have remote triggering device for $20, and they are not knock-offs.

Apr 03, 2015 at 07:11 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Photoflex out of business

I found Photoflex spring-loaded reflectors the only ones worth owning. The spring frame was stiffer and put together in some way that not only stayed flat (never "potato chipped") but also practically refolded itself...and only when you wanted it to. It was one of those cases where a person didn't know what "well made" really was until one tried it.

Apr 03, 2015 at 10:07 PM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Photoflex out of business

I agree, the spring loaded reflectors were the best on the market. I was not a fan of their soft boxes, but they were decent at a good price. Sad to see them leave the market.

Apr 03, 2015 at 10:43 PM
colinm
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Photoflex out of business

Ditto on the reflectors. I've got a collection, and I'll be hard-pressed to find a replacement when the time comes. (Profoto's are actually quite nice, but they only come in two sizes, and I feel like nobody actually used the handles before slapping them both on the same side.)

Won't miss the softboxes, though, especially as Photoflex had gone stagnant while everyone else was adding new designs and improving materials.

Apr 04, 2015 at 07:10 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Photoflex out of business

Photoflex was just out marketed. Even they succumbed to cheap Chinese crap with their own strobes. They lost site of their core market and didn't innovate any more.

Apr 04, 2015 at 08:34 PM
JimmyStephans
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Photoflex out of business

Wow, this comes as a shock. I loved the stuff they produced and have a studio full (that I hope lasts until my retirement).

Made a lot of money over the years with those products - from basic umbrellas all the way up to the biggest softboxes.

Its odd this came up this week as myself and another shooter here in Colorado just had a conversation that included them. We both also do video work and discussed how we wished we could find a place with good LED and / or CFL systems that had customer service like Paul C. Buff and Photoflex have given us over the years.

Apr 05, 2015 at 04:47 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Photoflex out of business

Gregg Heckler wrote:
Photoflex was just out marketed. Even they succumbed to cheap Chinese crap with their own strobes. They lost site of their core market and didn't innovate any more.

"...and didn't innovate any more"

Nail. Head.

Apr 05, 2015 at 05:26 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Photoflex out of business

Just a quick fyi. It looks like Photoflex is going through a reorganization in an attempt to remain in business. https://photoflex.com/

Apr 26, 2015 at 12:14 PM
noelfoto
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Photoflex out of business

Yeah! Looks like good news!

I am a Photoflex Pro Showcase Photographer!

https://photoflex.com/pro-showcase/noel-del-pilar

Apr 29, 2015 at 11:45 PM
Doug Maclean
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Photoflex out of business

As far as knockoffs and cheap Chinese stuff.Someone will always make a knockoff of a good product.Past,present and future.It is up to the company to either innovate or become so efficient making it that they shut out any new comers.Yes I love my Yongnuo flashes and triggers and I own 3 nikon sb 700's.Actually prefer the yongnuo controls better at 1/3 the price.Doug M

Apr 30, 2015 at 08:17 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.