New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Buy a FF?

kvolk
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Buy a FF?

I realize the I am asking a question that is mostly subjective but I thought that I would ask for some opinions.
I have started as a casual shooter in 2009 and perhaps would now be classified as an "enthusiast". I was almost 100% a landscape shooter until buying the Tamron 150-600 a year ago. Now I do a fairly amount of birds/wildlife.
I am currently shooting the 7D2. I have printed as big as 20x30 and have been pleased but that may be due to my not knowing any better and my aging eyes. I shoot landscapes always on a tripod.
My question is-- will I notice any real image quality improvement by adding a 6D for landscape? I have reached the stage in life that it is less a question of what I can afford and a lot more of what I am willing to spend. I have always been kind of cheap. If I add a 6D I would probably get a 24-105 as my shorter lenses are EFS-- Canon 15-85 and Sigma 10-22. I also have the Canon 70-300 f4 L.

Apr 02, 2015 at 11:40 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Buy a FF?

kvolk wrote:
...My question is-- will I notice any real image quality improvement by adding a 6D for landscape? ...

For photos taken in decent light, at low ISO, probably not. Going full frame gives you access to the full width of some extremely good wide to ultra-wide angle lenses, and provides the possibility for shallower depth of field in many circumstances, which is often not useful for landscape photography.

I think the most compelling reason to buy a new type of photo equipment (i.e. full frame vs. 1.6x crop factor) is to gain a capability that you didn't have before and one that you felt was lacking. If you're happy with the scenic images that you currently produce, then there's no compelling reason. OTOH, if you want to buy a second body that's complementary to your existing 7DII, then the 6D would be an excellent choice.

So, not only is it subjective, it also depends...

Apr 02, 2015 at 11:55 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Buy a FF?

If you have any doubts about the 7D M1 (not even the M2) ability to take great landscapes, look no further than Scott Kroeker on the landscape forum. His images are amazing.

David

Apr 02, 2015 at 11:58 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Buy a FF?

jcolwell wrote:
I think the most compelling reason to buy a new type of photo equipment (i.e. full frame vs. 1.6x crop factor) is to gain a capability that you didn't have before and one that you felt was lacking.

Right on. In some ways, if you have to ask, you don't need it. Forum advice can of course be useful when choosing between options for achieving a goal, but you have to decide on your goal first. It is very expensive to buy things just in case you might benefit. We all might benefit from bigger pixels or higher resolution at some point, but the emphasis should be on weighing "need to" versus "might benefit" versus "wanna have it -- drool".

Since your prints make you happy, perhaps something else may be lacking. Or not.

Would you rather have a longer lens for birding? A 500 mm? Or perhaps the new 100-400 mm II IS with 1.4x tele-extender III, said to be a very sharp flexible combination.

How about a trip to Costa Rica for birds ?

Apr 02, 2015 at 01:46 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Buy a FF?

kvolk wrote:
I have printed as big as 20x30 and have been pleased but that may be due to my not knowing any better and my aging eyes.
I have reached the stage in life that it is less a question of what I can afford and a lot more of what I am willing to spend.

Everyone here makes some very good points.

I think there are two trains of thought for you to consider:
1) What specific problem I'm I trying to fix or what specific goal I'm I trying to achieve in purchasing new gear?
2) Regardless of #1, will new gear satisfy some need or want and will it provide a more enjoyable experience? For people who can afford new gear without having any real reason to upgrade, this is often enough of a reason to do so.

I think a lot of people get caught up in the logic of making a purchase, but if it's your hobby, then who has the right to tell you how to spend your money? Logical input from other photographers is something to consider, but it really comes down to what makes you happy.
There's no real reason for me to drive a fast car around town or to use an expensive sushi knife but I do enjoy it.

Edited on Apr 02, 2015 at 03:08 PM · View previous versions

Apr 02, 2015 at 02:49 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Buy a FF?

The sushi forum must be something!

David

Apr 02, 2015 at 03:06 PM
Nate71LB
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Buy a FF?

Going to full frame was one of the best moves I've ever made...but 99% of my shots are of my 1 year old in poor light. I was more interested in shallow DOF and light gathering.
If most of my shots were wildlife, I would strongly consider adding a 7D2 (which you already have). Regarding landscapes, are you planning to print larger than 20x30? If not, I think the money would be better spent planning a trip and putting your 7D2 to work there

Apr 02, 2015 at 03:14 PM
kabraxcis
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Buy a FF?

I doubt a 6d will help your cause. Unless you feel FOV limited and need to go to FF for the wider view

Apr 02, 2015 at 03:21 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Buy a FF?

dgdg wrote:
The sushi forum must be something!

It's as bad as the HammerUser forum: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/03/hammerforum-com

Apr 02, 2015 at 03:38 PM
Kisutch
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Buy a FF?

I wouldn't go FF for landscape but for nature/wildlife the high ISO improvements can be a game changer. A lot of cool stuff happens and dusk/dawn and it's nice to be able to bump up to ISO 6400 and get reasonably clean files. The loss of reach can be an issue depended on what you shoot, but it wasn't for me.

Apr 02, 2015 at 04:35 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.