New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · D5300 impression

cold0904

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D5300 impression

Hi all

It's my first post

I thought i'd share (following a few months of good use) my impression of my D5300.

My perspective is from someone who mainly takes photo of their young kids + travel photo, and also someone who've had some fair experience with different DSLR (since 2006), mirrorless and compact cameras..

[ Pros ]
- very compact / light for a DSLR, while still maintaining good grip
- very good PDAF, AF-S (very reliable as long as lens/body is calibrated) and AF-C (tracking works quite well).
- Shutter sound is quiet for a DSLR (only K-5 is quieter among all other DSLRs in my opinion)
- 24 MP sensor, best in class among DX (great DR, gradation and noise control for its class)
- Video very good for a DSLR
- 3.2" LCD screen, best in class
- Wifi (and GPS) useful for those who want to use it
- Instaneous start-up time (a norm for DSLR, but keep in mind now many people shoot mirrorless, where many take long enough to be an issue for missing a moment)

[ Cons ]
- small viewfinder, although slightly better than D5200. Brightness is not bad though which makes up partially...
- buttons and dial feel quite cheap (afraid it might one day give-in)
- only one command dial + limited buttons (ironically this becomes less an issue when you shoot RAW as there is less parameters to fiddle and check during shotting in RAW - changing AF setting is still one tempo slower)
- default JPEG skin tones (or auto WB), while improved compared to Expeed3 generation, is still not the best-in class (after 1 months, i switched to only RAW due to this reason)

Apr 02, 2015 at 11:03 AM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D5300 impression

You forget to mention the biggest con of all Nikon consumer cameras is 95% or less viewfinder coverage. Of course, Nikon just wants to make sure you buy more expensive models to get 100% viewfinder coverage.

Apr 02, 2015 at 11:10 AM
cold0904

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D5300 impression

For me the issue was more with the size of the viewfinder (its a good 25 pct smaller than d7000/7100/300 and of course even worse when comparing with FF) than the coverage. I dont need 100 pct coverage for my shooting style

I also didnt mention the fact that this camera has limitation on lens choices (for me as family shooter, i rely mosty on versatile afs zooms)

Apr 02, 2015 at 07:39 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.