Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · 2k to spend on new camera body (bodies?)

volyrat
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 2k to spend on new camera body (bodies?)

I'm the opposite - it's easy for me to make lens decisions. Like in this case, if I go with a 5diii, I'll sell the 10-22, 300 f/4 and 60d and get a 100-400. I'll need the extra reach on the soccer fields and the flexibility of the zoom will work for me. Most games are day games, so the smaller aperture won't hurt.

I think the lenses are easier for me because I generally get good quality lenses and wait for a decent deal. I know that if I take care of the lens, I won't lose a lot of money if I decide to sell. Camera bodies depreciate much more quickly because the product cycles are much quicker.

ggreene wrote:
I don't have a lot of vacillating back and forth on camera bodies as it is usually pretty clear if it's worth it or not. I do have a lot of issues with hitting the buy button on lenses though. For whatever reason I never get a good sense as to how much I will like a lens or actually use it from just reviews or others experience. I've got to use it a lot to get a good idea as to if it's going to stay in my gear bag.

I'm going through that process now with a new
...Show more

Apr 03, 2015 at 09:10 AM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 2k to spend on new camera body (bodies?)

My question, which I think relates well to this thread (rather than starting a new one) is will the 5D3's af be better for the Op's lenses.

The f4 X type points are presumably better for the lenses listed than the 7D2's f5.6 type?

Apr 04, 2015 at 05:03 AM
3catsinky
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 2k to spend on new camera body (bodies?)

I vote 1D IV. beast of a camera for just about anything. Once you pick up a 1 series, forget about ever putting it down.

Apr 04, 2015 at 06:19 AM
dmahar
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 2k to spend on new camera body (bodies?)

Anther vote for the 5diii. On the other hand, I have seen nothing yet to convince me to sell my 1div for the new 7dii. Thus, if shooting sport is a major priority don't discount that amazing old timer.

Apr 04, 2015 at 07:50 AM
Dave R.
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 2k to spend on new camera body (bodies?)

3catsinky wrote:
I vote 1D IV. beast of a camera for just about anything. Once you pick up a 1 series, forget about ever putting it down.

Just a quick check and perhaps I am incorrect but I don't think the 2K budget would allow for this body.

Apr 04, 2015 at 08:40 AM
M. Best
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 2k to spend on new camera body (bodies?)

I've seen them used for around $1800 or lower with a higher shutter count. I've been casually looking myself.

Apr 04, 2015 at 08:44 AM
pmartin4665
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 2k to spend on new camera body (bodies?)

+1 for the 1DMkIV . . . you'll appreciate it more when shooting soccer; an all-around great body!

Apr 05, 2015 at 09:00 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 2k to spend on new camera body (bodies?)

drifter10652 wrote:
Just pick up my first FF camera...5d Mark III last week. Coming from a 30d there was considerable "wow factor" with the IQ, color and low light performance.

Saving up now for a telephoto...the new 100-400 from Canon looks very promising AND I can use my 30d to reach out if need be.

If you mean that the 30D gives you more "reach" because of the crop factor, it doesn't. The much higher pixel count of the 5Diii makes up for the crop factor. The pixel density of the 5Diiiis higher than the 30D (5Diii pixel size=6.25um vs 30D pixel size=6.4um). So there's no reason to use the 30D is that case, instead go for the 5Diii which has the added benefit of much better AF.

Apr 06, 2015 at 08:20 AM
volyrat
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 2k to spend on new camera body (bodies?)

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I am leaning toward the 5d mkiii. While I like the thought of the 1d mkiv, I don't think I can pull the trigger on a used body and have a short ramp to learn the 1d. Bad luck twice with shutters that failed early (both on xxD's though) leaves me a bit gun shy.

I am interested in learning more about Ed Swift's question. Time for some more research.

Bob

Apr 06, 2015 at 11:40 AM
Mike M. Kraus
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 2k to spend on new camera body (bodies?)

5d3 !

Apr 06, 2015 at 11:51 AM
Bliz
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 2k to spend on new camera body (bodies?)

If I could own one between the 7D2 or 5D3 I would buy the 5D3 and Im shooting wildlife almost exclusively. AF doesn't play, stunning IQ.

Apr 06, 2015 at 01:38 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.